RCV's vs CV joints

Mkp08

So I won a PR44 over the weekend at the 2016 Easter Jeep Safari. Its just the housing now i need to fill it. My question is should I go with RCV's or CV axle shafts. whats the pros and cons?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, I would just get a standard set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips. I've run RCV's in the past and they are nice enough but far from worth the $400 premium especially being that they're so hard pressed to get them to honor their so called awesome warranty.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So I won a PR44 over the weekend at the 2016 Easter Jeep Safari. Its just the housing now i need to fill it. My question is should I go with RCV's or CV axle shafts. whats the pros and cons?

Nice win! I would definitely go with Chromo shafts with full circle clips. Especially if you are going to run 5.38 gears in a 44, which will leave you with a very small pinion. The last thing you would want to be your weak point are internals. Just my opinion, I would look into 5.13 gears max in a 44 to ensure you R&P are still large enough to take abuse. What size tire are you planning on running?

Mkp08

Nice win! I would definitely go with Chromo shafts with full circle clips. Especially if you are going to run 5.38 gears in a 44, which will leave you with a very small pinion. The last thing you would want to be your weak point are internals. Just my opinion, I would look into 5.13 gears max in a 44 to ensure you R&P are still large enough to take abuse. What size tire are you planning on running?

Thanks,

I am currently running a 37's but want to eventually jump up to 40's and I will be throwing a super charger on it. So is running 5:38 gears bad in a PR44? I've always heard its a good set up but I'm new to this so I don't know?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently running a 37's but want to eventually jump up to 40's and I will be throwing a super charger on it. So is running 5:38 gears bad in a PR44? I've always heard its a good set up but I'm new to this so I don't know?

LOL!! Don't know where you've heard that but you clearly didn't hear it from here. 5.38's are the right ratio for 40" tires but as was mentioned, in a 44, your pinion will be really really small and it will be a very weak point. I personally would NOT run a 40" tire on a 44 but only based on my experience trying it in the past. As far as superchargers go, I've always found them to be a complete waste of money too. Of course, that's just me.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thanks,

First off, great win and congratulations. I just ordered a PR44 for my build in May. I stuck with 5.13 gearing for my 37 inch tires. I was slightly pushed to go with RCV's but after doing a lot of research, well in excess of just this forum, I found some very interesting information out there regarding their warranty. My concern is that while the RCV joint may "work" it might still creak and wobble and all kinds of other bad stuff. So requesting the warranty is more difficult, since it isn't broke, just not brand new. I have messed with CV joints most of my adult life and they are no fun to fix. Replace, sure.

I chose to stick with standard chromoly shafts in 35 splines. After I made that decision, I rested easier, knowing that while I might have only saved a couple hundred dollars, at least I can work on the joints here locally. No need to send them in and "hope" for a warranty being granted.

As for gearing, 5.38 seems to be making that pinion gear pretty tiny and then you want a super charger? You might be asking for trouble.

Good luck and again congratulations on your win!!!

Mkp08

LOL!! Don't know where you've heard that but you clearly didn't hear it from here. 5.38's are the right ratio for 40" tires but as was mentioned, in a 44, your pinion will be really really small and it will be a very weak point. I personally would NOT run a 40" tire on a 44 but only based on my experience trying it in the past. As far as superchargers go, I've always found them to be a complete waste of money too. Of course, that's just me.

So the best set up from what I'm hearing right now is CV axle shafts with 37's and 5:13 gears on a PR44? Yes or no Also is there any need for doing a sleeve and gusset kit on a PR44?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the best set up from what I'm hearing right now is CV axle shafts with 37's and 5:13 gears on a PR44? Yes or no Also is there any need for doing a sleeve and gusset kit on a PR44?

Well, you can run whatever you want but from my personal experience and how I like to use my Jeep, I would not run anything bigger than a 37 on a 44 and with 5.13 gears. Likewise, I have found standard chromoly shafts WITH full circle clips to be strong enough for my needs. For me, I would use the money saved and forward it toward an HD tie-rod or ProSteer ball joints. There is no need to sleeve or gusset a ProRock 44. If you had to do that, it wouldn't be a ProRock.

WJCO

Meme King
Congrats on the win. Don't blow up your new axle. Also, in case you weren't following Eddie's tire thread, he just went down from 40s to 37s on Rubicat, PR44 in front.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
If it were me, I would just get a standard set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips. I've run RCV's in the past and they are nice enough but far from worth the $400 premium especially being that they're so hard pressed to get them to honor their so called awesome warranty.

Yep, this is exactly right. While I love how my RCV's drive, my passenger side is clicking and RCV won't warranty it unless it detonates. They will rebuild them for $85 but that takes time involved with shipping, etc.

Mkp08

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like I'll run chromoly shafts with full circle clips, 5.13 gears and 37's Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, this is exactly right. While I love how my RCV's drive, my passenger side is clicking and RCV won't warranty it unless it detonates. They will rebuild them for $85 but that takes time involved with shipping, etc.

Wait till the clicking starts to sound like a LOUD POPPING SNAP SNAP SNAP! RCV will tell you that it's totally normal :rolleyes2: Funny thing is, after 80,000 miles, the u-joint on my one remaining factory shaft still sounds quite and has no issues. In fact, after recently replacing it with a standard chromo shaft just for good measure, I still carry it as a spare.

Mkp08

Well, you can run whatever you want but from my personal experience and how I like to use my Jeep, I would not run anything bigger than a 37 on a 44 and with 5.13 gears. Likewise, I have found standard chromoly shafts WITH full circle clips to be strong enough for my needs. For me, I would use the money saved and forward it toward an HD tie-rod or ProSteer ball joints. There is no need to sleeve or gusset a ProRock 44. If you had to do that, it wouldn't be a ProRock.

One other question would it be better to run 30 spline or 35 spline my jeep is used as a daily driver weekend crawler?

tgoss

Going to have to agree with everyone here. I have 5.38's in my PR44 and it's way too much gear for 37's. I was thinking of jumping to 40's myself but since after being advised heavily against tire size on this axle, especially by Dynatrac I'm going to drop in the 5.13's and stick with my 37's until I can go big on both ends.

Currently I have RCV's but would just as happy with full circlip CV's as well. The "warranty" issues I found shortly after concern me as well. I guess that's just a bridge to cross at the time.

I know you won it and it may seem as looking a gift horse in the mouth but selling that and putting together whatever money you would drop on internals you may be close to building up a nice 60 front with a larger pinion/ring and take the abuse of a blower and 40's. Just a thought.

Anyway, amazing axle and congrats on winning it. One hell of a parting gift from Moab.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Going to have to agree with everyone here. I have 5.38's in my PR44 and it's way too much gear for 37's. I was thinking of jumping to 40's myself but since after being advised heavily against tire size on this axle, especially by Dynatrac I'm going to drop in the 5.13's and stick with my 37's until I can go big on both ends.

Currently I have RCV's but would just as happy with full circlip CV's as well. The "warranty" issues I found shortly after concern me as well. I guess that's just a bridge to cross at the time.

I know you won it and it may seem as looking a gift horse in the mouth but selling that and putting together whatever money you would drop on internals you may be close to building up a nice 60 front with a larger pinion/ring and take the abuse of a blower and 40's. Just a thought.

Anyway, amazing axle and congrats on winning it. One hell of a parting gift from Moab.

I don't agree with it being too much gear. Personally I would rather have the extra power but 5.38's are a little much in a 44.

Top Bottom