Too Many Questions.....

16jku1231

I am new to all of this. I wanted a Jeep forever and finally got one. I had a plan in my head for what I wanted my Jeep to be, but am struggling with the endless options out there. I want to run 37s, but have a feeling I will need to stick with 35s. I want this Jeep build to be done right, but there are too many options for lifts, then gearing, axles, etc. I don't know where to start. My maximum budget is right at $7k. What are my best options for a lift? My Jeep will unfortunately be used mostly on the highway and beach cruising. However, there will be several weekends I take it out on the trails down here in Florida. So, any suggestions from the pros out there....:idontknow:

16jku1231

sorry

Sorry guys/gals its a 2016 jku D30/44 3.73 gears, auto.

NOTNALC68, I wanted a 2 door in the worst way, but the old lady talked me into the 4 door.

Ddays

Hooked
Best advice I can give you is don't rush out & buy anything just yet. Spend a lot of time digging through the threads here. Start a spread sheet and add the items you want to incorporate into your build.
Ask lots of questions & don't get your feelings hurt when someone challenges you or something you want to do. There are a lot of very smart people on this site and they don't suggest products that suck.

Big question: can you do the work yourself or will you have an installer put parts on? Nothing wrong with either answer but labor will eat a lot of that budget.

16jku1231

labor

I can do the work myself. I have owned several trucks and managed well. This is my first time with a Jeep and its brand new, so I want to keep the warranty in tact for as long as possible. Not sure if doing it myself, tire size, or lift will void the warranty.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I can do the work myself. I have owned several trucks and managed well. This is my first time and its a brand new Jeep, so I want to keep the warranty in tact for as long as possible. Not sure if doing it myself, tire size, or lift will void the warranty.

A lot of that will depend on the dealer and how well you know them. Also, what part is in question on a warranty claim. Some will work with you & others, well.....Honestly, this topic is a completely different thread.

Honestly, a $7k budget is thin to run 37's. I'd start with 35's & work your way up from there.

jeeeep

Hooked
warranties can be tricky once you lift it. some dealers are ok with it, others will red flag you immediately. aldo some dealers will keep your full warranty intact if you let them do the install using mopar (teraflex or aev) parts.
I'd take the previous advice and wait, take your jeep out stock so you'll gain a good idea of what it can do and build up from there.
when i bought my 2010 Rubicon with less than 5 miles on it, within 2 weeks i was in moab running trails, made my list and started my build 1 year later to shake any warranty issues out

Jeepnoub

Don't do anything over $100 at a time for the first 6 months. Research, research, research and ask questions, then research some more. And as ddays said make a spread sheet, and come to a final list. And stick to it. That's what I'm doing. And my list changes weekly

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Don't do anything over $100 at a time for the first 6 months. Research, research, research and ask questions, then research some more. And as ddays said make a spread sheet, and come to a final list. And stick to it. That's what I'm doing. And my list changes weekly

True, except maybe headlights. The damned stock headlights drive me insane.

I'm waiting on my new JKU to get here. I don't think we need 37s in Florida so I'm only going 35s. My advice is if you want the 37s is build up to 35s and see how you like them. Then put a set of 37s on for play time but keep the 35s for daily driving as 37s with 3.73 will be pretty painful. In Florida 3.73s won't be too bad on 35s.

I plan on running the EVO Enforcer 3 inch with Ranch 9000s and a drag link flip with 35s, C gussets and front drive shaft. I ordered mine with the steel numbers so I'll add the which plate, Warn Zenon, and a tire carrier eventually.

Pyro1415

I'm waiting on my new JKU to get here. I don't think we need 37s in Florida so I'm only going 35s. My advice is if you want the 37s is build up to 35s and see how you like them. Then put a set of 37s on for play time but keep the 35s for daily driving as 37s with 3.73 will be pretty painful. In Florida 3.73s won't be too bad on 35s.

I plan on running the EVO Enforcer 3 inch with Ranch 9000s and a drag link flip with 35s, C gussets and front drive shaft. I ordered mine with the steel numbers so I'll add the which plate, Warn Zenon, and a tire carrier eventually.

Agreed 35s are plenty good for Florida and you can get away with 3.73s for a while. If you're keen on upgrading quick. I'd buy a leveling kit to clear 35s and buy a set. That should keep you happy while you find out what you want.

16jku1231

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will be waiting a little while before I do anything. I do know I want an upgrade, I just don't which lift I want. I know that if I go with a 3 inch and 35s, I can eventually change my fenders and upgrade to 37s if I really wanted to. My biggest issue right now is deciding on the right brand for the 3" lift. The two I have really been looking into are the Teraflex and AEV kits. They both seem to be high standard, but have completely different options. I see and hear a LOT about Teraflex, but I think that maybe only because they are very well marketed. What I like about AEV is the retention of the factory control arms (their bushings are the best from what I gather). However, there may be something better I haven't heard of. I want this Jeep done right so I will be doing the upgraded shocks for whichever kit I finally end up with.:thinking:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will be waiting a little while before I do anything. I do know I want an upgrade, I just don't which lift I want. I know that if I go with a 3 inch and 35s, I can eventually change my fenders and upgrade to 37s if I really wanted to. My biggest issue right now is deciding on the right brand for the 3" lift. The two I have really been looking into are the Teraflex and AEV kits. They both seem to be high standard, but have completely different options. I see and hear a LOT about Teraflex, but I think that maybe only because they are very well marketed. What I like about AEV is the retention of the factory control arms (their bushings are the best from what I gather). However, there may be something better I haven't heard of. I want this Jeep done right so I will be doing the upgraded shocks for whichever kit I finally end up with.:thinking:

I think it depends on what ride quality you want. Both Teraflex and AEV will give you a very stiff and jarring ride. Not sure where you have been doing your research, but AEV bushings are far from 'the best'. That would be a Currie Johnny joint. I think you need to figure out what type of ride you like the best (soft, stiff, etc) and then there are plenty who can make suggestions off that and based on actual experience.

I am running a JKS JSPEC 2.0 lift with 35s and full factory fenders. The ride is just slightly stiffer than stock. It rides well on the road and does great off road, but I am personally still looking for something softer riding. Ride quality is subjective, but I personally like a soft, comfortable ride.

My rig on 35x12.50R17 BFG KM2s with JKS 2.0 lift, full factory fenders for reference.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459338691.591922.jpg

Edit:

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I think it depends on what ride quality you want. Both Teraflex and AEV will give you a very stiff and jarring ride. Not sure where you have been doing your research, but AEV bushings are far from 'the best'. That would be a Currie Johnny joint. ]

It depends on what criteria you're rating them on. The stock bushes will outlast most aftermarket bushings but won't articulate as well as a johnny joint.

16jku1231

I think it depends on what ride quality you want. Both Teraflex and AEV will give you a very stiff and jarring ride. Not sure where you have been doing your research, but AEV bushings are far from 'the best'. I think you need to figure out what type of ride you like the best (soft, stiff, etc) and then there are plenty who can make suggestions off that and based on actual experience.

I meant that I heard the factory bushings are the best.

This information is great to know. I actually enjoy a softer ride, especially driving on a not so perfect highway at 75mph.

Nice Jeep!

Lucas J

Best advice I can give you is don't rush out & buy anything just yet. Spend a lot of time digging through the threads here. Start a spread sheet and add the items you want to incorporate into your build.
Ask lots of questions & don't get your feelings hurt when someone challenges you or something you want to do. There are a lot of very smart people on this site and they don't suggest products that suck.

This is great advise.

I am in similar situation to the OP and I am 9 months in still trying to figure it all out. I have probably changed my mind 100 times on my build. Take your time and do your research is the best advise.

Samlautranger

warranties can be tricky once you lift it. some dealers are ok with it, others will red flag you immediately. aldo some dealers will keep your full warranty intact if you let them do the install using mopar (teraflex or aev) parts.
I'd take the previous advice and wait, take your jeep out stock so you'll gain a good idea of what it can do and build up from there.
when i bought my 2010 Rubicon with less than 5 miles on it, within 2 weeks i was in moab running trails, made my list and started my build 1 year later to shake any warranty issues out

One of the dealers in my area, that does a lot of AEV and MOPAR lift kits, they charge $1,000 in labor for installing a lift kit. :shock: So the parts and labor for a AEV 3.5" lift kit is $2850. But, they still cover it and your Jeep under warranty. They are the "preferred AEV dealer" for our state. Add $1350 for 5 AEV wheels, what the dealer charges, and around another $1,500 for 35" tires. Adds up real fast. Not the route I am going to go.

Had a AEV 2.5" lift and 315s on my 2012 Rubicon. No complaints at all. Had/Have the 2.5" OME lift kits on both of my Toyota FJ Cruisers (2010 and 2012) models - both outstanding lift kits and much better than stock rides.

I am looking for my future build at the JKS 3.5" lifts, as have had good things about them and the Fox Shocks, and like how they are set up - with lower control arms instead of geometry correction brackets (though you can go that war as well).

Top Bottom