Control arm lengths

Mitrig

Hi guys I have been getting my lift together and will be installing my currie arms this weekend.

I will be brining the jeep in to get an alignment but the closest shop is 50 miles away so I want to have it drive able lol. What are the lengths I am looking to set the 8 control arms too? A ball park?

I have followed this as m control arm guide so far. http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...ck-jock-suspension-lift-installation-write-up

Can anyone advise me for a general rule of thumb? It's for a 3.5 inch lift if that helps

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys I have been getting my lift together and will be installing my currie arms this weekend.

I will be brining the jeep in to get an alignment but the closest shop is 50 miles away so I want to have it drive able lol. What are the lengths I am looking to set the 8 control arms too? A ball park?

I have followed this as m control arm guide so far. http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...ck-jock-suspension-lift-installation-write-up

Can anyone advise me for a general rule of thumb? It's for a 3.5 inch lift if that helps

This should help you out:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Take a measurement of your pinion angles before and you'll have a starting point. Match it and move from there.

rogerk93

Use the link Eddie posted I recently lifted my jeep and the step by step made it very easy. Make sure you have an angle finder on hand Home Depot has a pretty good one for $8.

Mitrig

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will pick up the angle finder on the way home from the office today.

Mitrig

Question for you all my front is set at 92 on the nose with my stock arm. My rear is at 80. I will have to lengthen my rear lowers and possibly shorten the uppers. The front I am just going to match the lengths as it seems to sit correct. My next question is should the rear castor sit close to 88-92 as well?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Question for you all my front is set at 92 on the nose with my stock arm. My rear is at 80. I will have to lengthen my rear lowers and possibly shorten the uppers. The front I am just going to match the lengths as it seems to sit correct. My next question is should the rear castor sit close to 88-92 as well?

Are you saying these are the numbers you got prior to your lift? Measured at pinion flanges right? Front sounds stock. That will give you 4 degrees of caster. I think stock is 4.2. Not sure about the rear but if you're still all stock, then that's what it is. 80 sounds like an awful lot to me though. Also make sure you're on a flat surface when you're measuring or at least take it into account. And those numbers will change after you lift it. You'll have to lengthen front lowers to keep caster the same.

Last edited:

Mitrig

Are you saying these are the numbers you got prior to your lift? Measured at pinion flanges right? Front sounds stock. That will give you 4 degrees of caster. I think stock is 4.2. Not sure about the rear but if you're still all stock, then that's what it is. 80 sounds like an awful lot to me though. Also make sure you're on a flat surface when you're measuring or at least take it into account.

No my rigs been lifted for some time. When I bought it, I installed my lift and set my control arms to recommended lengths. Since then I have swapped a lot around. 4 castor upfront is what my jeep is currently at with 4 inches of lift. Surface was verified to be level. Front seems where it should be so I will match the lengths to my stock arms as I take them out. Rear not so much

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
No my rigs been lifted for some time. When I bought it, I installed my lift and set my control arms to recommended lengths. Since then I have swapped a lot around. 4 castor upfront is what my jeep is currently at with 4 inches of lift. Surface was verified to be level. Front seems where it should be so I will match the lengths to my stock arms as I take them out. Rear not so much

Gotcha. Sorry I can't be much help on the rear. I haven't played with mine at all. Running a stock rear shaft? Springs have much bow in them?

Mitrig

Gotcha. Sorry I can't be much help on the rear. I haven't played with mine at all. Running a stock rear shaft? Springs have much bow in them?

springs have no bow up front at all. rear has a slight bow to them and correct i am still running the stock rear driveshaft.

JoeB-JKURX

Pinion and T-Case Angles should not be equal

With a double Cardan joint at the T-case, most of the offset angle needed for the driveshaft should be there as the second u-joint mostly cancels out the jerky motion of the first (any u-joint will be jerky to a degree if operated at an angle). The angle at the pinion should be limited to not much more than 2 degrees to preclude jerky motion to the extent that it could damage the pinion bearing or the u-joint itself. Although not common, you can buy driveshafts with a double cardan at each end, in which case the angle at the T-case and pinion should (could) be equal.

Top Bottom