The good and the bad of coilover

Blackjk58

I am at the point where I want to upgrade my shock/spring to a coilover bolt on kit for my jkur but I am wondering if it's worth the price? I know that there some of you guys that run bolt on coilover kit on your rig so I was wondering if it's worth the price or not?
Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It really depends on the wheeling you do. As much as I love my coilovers it's pointless to have here on the east coast. A good coil and shock set up can ride better and perform just as well as coilovers. If I was to do it again I would have gotten the enforcer with 2.5 adjustable kings from Evo. They would have probably given me an even softer ride and would be easier to maintain.

TFD

It really depends on the wheeling you do. As much as I love my coilovers it's pointless to have here on the east coast. A good coil and shock set up can ride better and perform just as well as coilovers. If I was to do it again I would have gotten the enforcer with 2.5 adjustable kings from Evo. They would have probably given me an even softer ride and would be easier to maintain.

Great advice. I've been thinking about upgrading to coilovers but the 2.5 kings seem like they'll be more than enough for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I do rock crawling most of the time, what is the maintain for the Coilover?

You'll want to have them rebuilt. Also, if you live in an area where you see a lot of salted roads, they'll get thrashed. If I lived in the rust belt, I would not run coil overs - just not worth it.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
And by trashed, this is what he means. 1 winter. Replaced all the springs, buffed the sh*t outta them, and clear coated. No longer winter driven

Attachments

• 1459720521812.jpg
    1459720521812.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 298

Blackjk58

I totally understand that you cannot ride with coilover on winter on salted roads. My rig never see snow it's my summer toys :)! That's why I was consider coilover a good upgrade for my rig

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I love the ride and flex of my coilovers. I'm always torn telling people whether to get or not. One of my favorite parts is how it cleans up the components under the jeep and I can easily change ride height for payload, wheeling type, etc. Less things to cause interference under the jeep too. If you already have a good coil/shock setup is hard to justify switching.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Nothing special lol. Here's a few from moab

Attachments

• 1459729121670.jpg
    1459729121670.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 1459729146809.jpg
    1459729146809.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 1459729192239.jpg
    1459729192239.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 232
  • 1459729201265.jpg
    1459729201265.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 233

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I rode mine this winter thru salted roads and they still look almost new. Just fluid film the shit out of them and i was golden

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I rode mine this winter thru salted roads and they still look almost new. Just fluid film the shit out of them and i was golden

I tried that, didn't work on mine. Michigan uses some special kind of metal eating sh*t on roads. I dont get it. Never had the rust issues I see here when I lived in pa or mt.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Back to running the ones they send now 250/250 front, 200/250 rear. Gotta mess with rear again though as I removed spare so less weight. I have 300, 150, 200 springs sitting around

Havoc40

I went through this same dilemma before pulling the trigger on my lift. Ultimately I decided on coilovers, and sort of wish I went standard Enforcer with King 2.5 shocks. The adjustability and performance of coilovers was the deciding factor.

Mine survived this winter, which was super mild, by spraying them with the WD40 corrosion protectant. I'm hoping next winter I'll have another vehicle to drive, though.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Steve, have you ridden in a rig with the 2.5" adjustables? Just curious how much difference you could feel from the seat compared to your coilovers on the street. I'm sure there's no question your COs would outperform off road.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, have you ridden in a rig with the 2.5" adjustables? Just curious how much difference you could feel from the seat compared to your coilovers on the street. I'm sure there's no question your COs would outperform off road.

While I'm not Steve, I can tell you that the Plush Ride coils with 2.5" Kings will actually offer a nicer ride than the bolt on coil overs. What the bolt on coil overs will offer is a bit more flex.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
While I'm not Steve, I can tell you that the Plush Ride coils with 2.5" Kings will actually offer a nicer ride than the bolt on coil overs. What the bolt on coil overs will offer is a bit more flex.

I appreciate the feedback. I think they're in the same price ballpark so I had always assumed I'd just go with the COs, but now I'm not so sure. I'm sure either would be better than what I have though.

Top Bottom