When replace a front/rear axle

Guascone

Hi, I read a lot of post where some people change the front axle with a new one (PR44 for example)…
But I have not understand when it is really necessary… I’m confused…

I have a JKUR with e-locker and D44, 2.5” lift, Ten Factory rear axle shaft and now I’m planning to upgrade it with 35 inch tires(cooper STT)…what I have to do?
Can I go off-road without any concerns or I have to upgrade my axles or change it?

My usually wheeling is in the mud, small crawling and maybe in the future a trip in the morocco desert…

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wheel it till you bend it then replace it.

As far as your d44 goes have you put c gussets on it yet? If not that's all I would add to it and your good for 35's

Pyro1415

What size gears do you have. Everyone has always told me rubi are pretty great stock up to 35s, with a lift of course. But yeah don't go jumping dunes and you should be great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459857160.406585.jpg

Not mine but it's all over every jeep page and has been on and off for over a year.

Guascone

Wheel it till you bend it then replace it.

As far as your d44 goes have you put c gussets on it yet? If not that's all I would add to it and your good for 35's

I haven' t yet welded the C gussets...I'll make it!
Thanks

What size gears do you have. Everyone has always told me rubi are pretty great stock up to 35s, with a lift of course. But yeah don't go jumping dunes and you should be great. View attachment 196379

Not mine but it's all over every jeep page and has been on and off for over a year.

Hahah, I'would like to play with the dunes and the sand but not jump as a rocket...[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Pyro1415

You should be pretty safe from what I've read about rubicons then as long as you keep it smart.

Guascone

A vendor suggest me to buy also the inner tube or the evo truss...
In my toughts they are unusefull but what do you think about it?

Broke_JKowner

I wouldn't waste your time or money on a truss or sleeves. Like mentioned earlier just some C gussets and run your current setup till you bend a tube. Thats when you can put the $$$$ you saved on sleeves and truss towards a new heavier duty axle. Just my 2 cents.

Guascone

I wouldn't waste your time or money on a truss or sleeves. Like mentioned earlier just some C gussets and run your current setup till you bend a tube. Thats when you can put the $$$$ you saved on sleeves and truss towards a new heavier duty axle. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,you confirm my idea!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A vendor suggest me to buy also the inner tube or the evo truss...
In my toughts they are unusefull but what do you think about it?

That vendor just wants you to spend more money with them. As I said before c gussets are all that's needed. Sleeves and the truss will not help

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I find this a bit contradictory. If you have sleeves the chance of bending a tube is extremely slim and they are only a $120 item. That's not a lot for piece of mind and saving you the headaches of the fore mentioned. Trusses are a bit over rated and unnecessary in IMHO :).

Add to that the minimal differences OE Dana 30 vs 44 and investing a couple hundred the newer Dana 30 is not a bad choice.

Agree gussets are a must, should be first choice and would do regardless of current tire size as once they move there is no cost effective repair. I have both and axle upgrades as I plan for 37's.

AGAIN, sleeves WILL NOT reduce the chance of bending a tube. :cheesy:

Where the tube bends is not where the sleeve goes. PERIOD. it is a WASTE of $120 for the sleeves, and the time it takes to break down the axle to install the tubes; then reassemble. If you are paying a shop to do this it will be expensive; that money SHOULD be saved for a truly stronger axle housing... :doh:

. View attachment 196379

P.S> This jeep was running Mopar 60s. not factory D44s

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

I find this a bit contradictory. If you have sleeves the chance of bending a tube is extremely slim and they are only a $120 item. That's not a lot for piece of mind and saving you the headaches of the fore mentioned. Trusses are a bit over rated and unnecessary in IMHO :).

Add to that the minimal differences OE Dana 30 vs 44 and investing a couple hundred the newer Dana 30 is not a bad choice.

Agree gussets are a must, should be first choice and would do regardless of current tire size as once they move there is no cost effective repair. I have both and axle upgrades as I plan for 37's.

View attachment 196574

You're absolutely right, and everyone here is full of shit. Pay no attention to the advice given to you. Now go out and wheel the fuck out of that thing like its a PR44.[emoji106]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

View attachment 196574

:cheesy: come back and tell me that they helped keep your axle from bending when it bends at the pumpkin where the sleeve don't go

WJCO

Meme King
I have been around Jeeps since I graduated high school in 1979, degrees in Automotive Technology & Mechanical Engineering, worked in the industry for 15 years, worked as part time trail guide for 7 years working 40-50 days a year, set-up 25+ sets of axles, narrowed D44's & D60's and installed every locker out there. So I feel I have some knowledge to share and decide to get involved in forums again. That and I bought my first JK.

So I started here and wow a few posts in and the local tribe of internet trained brain washed are slamming me with childish emotioacons and unsupported bashings. I totally except that some people have loyalties to their brands for what ever reasons and there is a lot of misguided information from "gurus" but how about some decency or supporting knowledge to ones claims. Not a pic of some fool who jumped his JK at a level that would require a trophy truck.

Ugly.. I'll move now.

Ok. Mr Automotive Technology. I'm listening. Show me how sleeves will prevent bending at the pumpkin as requested earlier. I learn something new every day.

Exodus 4x4

I have been around Jeeps since I graduated high school in 1979, degrees in Automotive Technology & Mechanical Engineering, worked in the industry for 15 years, worked as part time trail guide for 7 years working 40-50 days a year, set-up 25+ sets of axles, narrowed D44's & D60's and installed every locker out there. So I feel I have some knowledge to share and decide to get involved in forums again. That and I bought my first JK.

So I started here and wow a few posts in and the local tribe of internet trained brain washed are slamming me with childish emotioacons and unsupported bashings. I totally except that some people have loyalties to their brands for what ever reasons and there is a lot of misguided information from "gurus" but how about some decency or supporting knowledge to ones claims. Not a pic of some fool who jumped his JK at a level that would require a trophy truck.

Ugly.. I'll move now.

Damn, didn't know you were so credible. Nobody has ever come on her and claimed to have such vast knowledge and experience while trying to justify their reasons for giving bad advice. Please stay here so we may all learn from you.

Top Bottom