$3000 and new Jeep Willys?

Samlautranger

So if you got a hold of a brand new 2 door Jeep Willys (standard Soft top, Auto transmission), and had $3,000 in your budget (and that is going to be it for a couple of years), what modifications would you do?

How would you set up your build?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Tires, wheels (or wheel spacers for factory wheels), EVO leveling kit, or Rancho 2" inch sport lift. LED head lights, if you have any money left or a winch. Just my opinion.

RedRum

That moment when you realize you have spent way more money on your jeep than you thought ... lol I would trim stock fenders, Evo leveling kit, wheels & tires, and whatever you have left on skids and or sliders

zimm

Caught the Bug
So if you got a hold of a brand new 2 door Jeep Willys (standard Soft top, Auto transmission), and had $3,000 in your budget (and that is going to be it for a couple of years), what modifications would you do?

You'd be surprised how far you can go with the stock tires. New wheels/tires will eat most of that budget, so skip them.

Evo leveling kit $230
Recovery gear $300
Fire extinguisher $20
CB $100
Front bumper/winch $1500-ish
LED headlights (JW speaker/trucklite/q-tech) $300-650
LED light cubes on windshield mounts $150
Transmission Skid $300
Spidertrax wheel spacers $200
EVO rock sliders $550 plus welding

Then save up for 35's and 3" lift when the tires wear out.

seanb123

I'll be in Vegas next week you send me the cash I promise if you win I'll send it back. Ideally where do you want the jeep to be at then of the 3k.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Check the classifieds for whatever you can get used in good condition but I would go tires, spacers, levelling kit, trim the fenders/bumper and just drive it. I ran mine completely stock for a year

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Check the classifieds for whatever you can get used in good condition but I would go tires, spacers, levelling kit, trim the fenders/bumper and just drive it. I ran mine completely stock for a year

Yup! This. Lose rear bumper get EVO shackles. I got most of mine used and have about all of what 2nd.gunman suggests including 4 dr springs and Rubi shocks.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I sold my Willys wheels/tires for $1200. That plus the $600 I got for my D30 covered the price of a locked D44.

That plus you could get 33x12.5R15s on alloy 15s for around $1500.

Add a leveling kit, winch, front bumper, and recovery gear for the other $1500.

Pyro1415

Large meat lovers pizza $14
6 pack of good beer idk $8
Friends with a welder priceless lol

First and foremost upgrade those stock headlights... They suck...

No one can answer this question for you. I would start with a leveling kit and a friend with a quality tow/kinetic strap. Find out what you want out of your jeep and go from there. I would not buy a lift until you test drive someone's jeep with it first. Find a jeep club, wheel and have fun.
If I recall the willys is a Sahara package with rubicon tires. You can go places stock see what she can do.

For example I found out I'm a retard when I see a puddle and I never really wheel alone. So I bought a snorkel over a winch, actually I bought a snorkel right after a lift which was my first upgrade. I fabricated my own bumpers and sold the stock ones and the stock tires to pay for my cheap 37s. My lift is the only thing I actually have invested in my jeep and it's the only thing I regret doing to it lol. I should have bought a cheap spacer kit test drove several guys jeeps, then watch them wheel and finally order a lift.

A few lessons

Good tires > winch
Led lights way cheaper than lockers lol
Emergency kit > anything

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I sold my Willys wheels/tires for $1200. That plus the $600 I got for my D30 covered the price of a locked D44.

That plus you could get 33x12.5R15s on alloy 15s for around $1500.

Add a leveling kit, winch, front bumper, and recovery gear for the other $1500.

10char......

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459864676.441349.jpg

swampdog

So I would edit this to avoid any 15" wheels. I got 35" KO2's on ProComp 17" wheels delivered (mounted and balanced) for $1,650. Much better setup than the 33 and 15" wheels as the larger wheel will allow room for future steering / brake upgrades, and also looks better IMO than a 15" wheel. They look great on a CJ / YJ, but the 15" looks goofy on the JK. Also, ditch the Warn VR-8000 and spend the extra 75 bones and get the American made Warn M-8000, a much more proven product.

Romac2223

You'd be surprised how far you can go with the stock tires. New wheels/tires will eat most of that budget, so skip them.

Evo leveling kit $230
Recovery gear $300
Fire extinguisher $20
CB $100
Front bumper/winch $1500-ish
LED headlights (JW speaker/trucklite/q-tech) $300-650
LED light cubes on windshield mounts $150
Transmission Skid $300
Spidertrax wheel spacers $200
EVO rock sliders $550 plus welding

Then save up for 35's and 3" lift when the tires wear out.

Best idea!

jeeeep

Hooked
it's an automatic so I'd apply some $$ for a tuner to recalibrate for the larger tires, a regear to get some of your mileage back and leave some $$$ in the bank for gas - you'll loose some mileage once you lift and install larger tires.

Samlautranger

Thanks for all the replies so far. Interesting to see what others would do.

I agree with selling he wheel and tires as an option. Did that with my 2012 Rubicon, think I got like $1,000 for them IIRC, and like $150 for the shocks and coils. Did the AEV 2.5 and 315s on that build. Not going that route again.

Thinking if go this route, a 2" lift kit and 285s. Either keep the stock wheels and get sydertrax spacers (I do like the look of the stock Willey/Rubicon wheels), or sell and get something aftermarket. Go with 285s, probably BFgoodrich AT, Firestone Destinations, or Michelin LTX (had good results with all three brands on former trucks, SUVs, Jeeps). Then maybe add a tuffy locking rear box and a cat back type exhaust.

Kind of 50/50 on the Spydertrax wheel spacers, heard mixed things about them (Wheel spacers). Never used before.

Reason looking at the Willys, several on the lots of nearby dealers which meet the options pretty much looking for, without having to custom order/wait, get screwed over in the trade in process when order arrives (had to deal with this before), - as can bargain hard for a vehicle right on the lot.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the replies so far. Interesting to see what others would do.

I agree with selling he wheel and tires as an option. Did that with my 2012 Rubicon, think I got like $1,000 for them IIRC, and like $150 for the shocks and coils. Did the AEV 2.5 and 315s on that build. Not going that route again.

Thinking if go this route, a 2" lift kit and 285s. Either keep the stock wheels and get sydertrax spacers (I do like the look of the stock Willey/Rubicon wheels), or sell and get something aftermarket. Go with 285s, probably BFgoodrich AT, Firestone Destinations, or Michelin LTX (had good results with all three brands on former trucks, SUVs, Jeeps). Then maybe add a tuffy locking rear box and a cat back type exhaust.

Kind of 50/50 on the Spydertrax wheel spacers, heard mixed things about them (Wheel spacers). Never used before.

Reason looking at the Willys, several on the lots of nearby dealers which meet the options pretty much looking for, without having to custom order/wait, get screwed over in the trade in process when order arrives (had to deal with this before), - as can bargain hard for a vehicle right on the lot.

Follow directions with the spacers and you will be fine. The 285's on stock wheels would look very nice with the life. I have the new style Rubi wheels and love 'em. IMO, I would pass on exhaust unless you are looking for a better sound. Keeping the stock one would save you some money for other things.

IMG_20160329_082633.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So I would edit this to avoid any 15" wheels. I got 35" KO2's on ProComp 17" wheels delivered (mounted and balanced) for $1,650. Much better setup than the 33 and 15" wheels as the larger wheel will allow room for future steering / brake upgrades, and also looks better IMO than a 15" wheel. They look great on a CJ / YJ, but the 15" looks goofy on the JK. Also, ditch the Warn VR-8000 and spend the extra 75 bones and get the American made Warn M-8000, a much more proven product.

I'd stick with 17" instead of going 16", if I had it to do over again. Can't put a brake kit on.

Top Bottom