$3000 and new Jeep Willys?

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I would do a budget boost lift 33s cut fenders front bumper chop with winch plate and winch. Maybe a CB. sway bar disconnects and an air compressor.

Samlautranger

I wouldn't be so quick to buy new tires since the Willie's should already have the BFG's.

Yeah, but they are Mts, not the ATs, I prefer. But, I could live with them.

In the pic thread, there is a nice photo of a Red 2 Door willys, with stock wheels and tires with the Mopar 2" lift kit, that looks really good.

Of course, tracked down the original poster, and stated the rear is sagging a bit and he is thinking of getting a spacer for the rear to bring it up a bit more level, or just a bit higher than the front. That is a pet peeve of mine, when I see lifted Jeeps where the front looks to be riding higher than the rear.

Samlautranger

Follow directions with the spacers and you will be fine. The 285's on stock wheels would look very nice with the life. I have the new style Rubi wheels and love 'em. IMO, I would pass on exhaust unless you are looking for a better sound. Keeping the stock one would save you some money for other things.

View attachment 196427

Nice looking Jeep you have BTW. How do you like the Trek Top compared to the original?

Peak

2.5" Budget Boost $150
35's $1500
Crawler Concepts Skinny front bumper $300
Cobra 75 Kit $125
Recovery Gear Kit $125
EVO C's $60
Wheel Spacers Used $100
MV50 Compressor $75
Daystar Hood Latch $25
Truck Lite Headlights $400
SpiderWeb Shade $100

I believe the willys comes with rubi rails, if not pick up a set usually around $100

zimm

Caught the Bug
If you haven't got a jeep yet- why not skip the willys? You're paying for the rubicon wheel/tires/springs/shocks/rock rails that you aren't going to keep. Get a sport with the power windows, connectivity, and 3.73 gears. Then you'll have the money to do a proper lift and get the wheels/tires you want. Plus all that other cool stuff we listed.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Nice looking Jeep you have BTW. How do you like the Trek Top compared to the original?

Thank you! Far from done.

Sweet! Had some bugs in the beginning but all is good. Way better than the factory. The Zippers are straight so they do not get fucked up like the factory ones. Highly recommend!

Pyro1415

Thanks for all the replies so far. Interesting to see what others would do.

I agree with selling he wheel and tires as an option. Did that with my 2012 Rubicon, think I got like $1,000 for them IIRC, and like $150 for the shocks and coils. Did the AEV 2.5 and 315s on that build. Not going that route again.

Thinking if go this route, a 2" lift kit and 285s. Either keep the stock wheels and get sydertrax spacers (I do like the look of the stock Willey/Rubicon wheels), or sell and get something aftermarket. Go with 285s, probably BFgoodrich AT, Firestone Destinations, or Michelin LTX (had good results with all three brands on former trucks, SUVs, Jeeps). Then maybe add a tuffy locking rear box and a cat back type exhaust.

Kind of 50/50 on the Spydertrax wheel spacers, heard mixed things about them (Wheel spacers). Never used before.

Reason looking at the Willys, several on the lots of nearby dealers which meet the options pretty much looking for, without having to custom order/wait, get screwed over in the trade in process when order arrives (had to deal with this before), - as can bargain hard for a vehicle right on the lot.

Wheel spacers= bad
Wheel adapters= good. I've been using spydertrax for over a year now and have no complaints. It's a solid piece of aluminum and wheel studs. Throw some locktite on torque it and call it good.

thardy

Banned
Wheel spacers= bad
Wheel adapters= good. I've been using spydertrax for over a year now and have no complaints. It's a solid piece of aluminum and wheel studs. Throw some locktite on torque it and call it good.

I believe you might be slightly incorrect on your terminology.

Wheel adapters are simply spacers that have the axle bolt pattern as holes and wheel bolt pattern as studs. They are made for people wanting to use different bolt pattern wheels than they bolt pattern on their axle.

Wheels spacers are a cheap way of spacing out your wheels.

There are good brands and bad brands of both. I've heard good things about Spidertrax spacers and adapters. That being said, both are simply a cheaper option than actually buying the correct sized wheel needed for your application.

Pyro1415

I believe you might be slightly incorrect on your terminology.

Wheel adapters are simply spacers that have the axle bolt pattern as holes and wheel bolt pattern as studs. They are made for people wanting to use different bolt pattern wheels than they bolt pattern on their axle.

Wheels spacers are a cheap way of spacing out your wheels.

There are good brands and bad brands of both. I've heard good things about Spidertrax spacers and adapters. That being said, both are simply a cheaper option than actually buying the correct sized wheel needed for your application.

Your right. I double checked after a quick reply on this. I guess I'm recalling the old style metal shims the ricers in high school used. Those are where the horror stories come from because they used the space from your studs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom