Need help!! Bent tie-rod?

benatc1

Hooked
Was just out test driving my rear arb locker and when I pulled off the road onto the trail the ditch was deceiving and alot deeper than it looked, when I went in I was probably a bit fast but I hit something in the front end really hard, was loud, my steering is now off about 30 degrees to counter clockwise. After limping it home (just down the street) and fighting the traction control control I noticed that my steering stabilizer is rubbing on the trackbar bracket, I can't tell of the tie Rod is bent, the pic below is hard to tell. Any thoughts on what to check? I measured it as toed in a little over 1/4 of an inch. I have a stock tie-rod but synergy draglink/jks trackbar/teraflex control arms/ stock pitman arm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 1459988219180.jpg
    1459988219180.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 1459988247251.jpg
    1459988247251.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 73

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things. First, you should be able to loosen and rotate the steering stabilizer clamp so that you can move it out of the way. Second, it's very likely that you have a bent tie rod but by the looks of the pics, it's not that bad. I would check your toe and set it as needed. If additional steering wheel adjustment is needed, do it at the drag link. You should be fine otherwise.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

benatc1

Hooked
A couple of things. First, you should be able to loosen and rotate the steering stabilizer clamp so that you can move it out of the way. Second, it's very likely that you have a bent tie rod but by the looks of the pics, it's not that bad. I would check your toe and set it as needed. If additional steering wheel adjustment is needed, do it at the drag link. You should be fine otherwise.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Thanks Eddie! I appreciate the link, I'll see if I can get it straightened out for the time being.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! I appreciate the link, I'll see if I can get it straightened out for the time being.

eh, I wouldn't worry about straightening it out unless you simply can't address your steering stabilizer enough to clear the mount. At some point and time, everyone's run around with a bent one - or should I say, "clearanced" one :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom