Strange led cube issue

Rodeo_jk

Hey guys ive got a strange issue with my a-pillar mounted led cubes. If im listening to the radio and i turn them on it goes all static, ive been successfully able to ignore this untill recently as i usually have my radio off offroad anyways however i have recently found out that it also causes static in my cb when i turn them on. Any suggestions? Thanks yall!

DoubleTrouble

You could try each light individually to help narrow down the culprit. One could have a faulty board transmitting the frequency your radios are picking up.

WJCO

Meme King
My Rigid pillar cubes don't do it, but my Eyourlife light bar does the same thing. I've dismissed it as RFI. I even used Rigid wiring for the light bar. I haven't spent much time thinking about it. Let us know if you find the culprit.

WJCO

Meme King
Do you guys think placing a ferrite core around the wires might eliminate the interference?

I would guess that if the wire was shielded somehow, it would fix it. But then again, I'm only assuming that this is an RFI issue but haven't really diagnosed mine.

Rodeo_jk

I would guess that if the wire was shielded somehow, it would fix it. But then again, I'm only assuming that this is an RFI issue but haven't really diagnosed mine.

Hmm,i guess i may try that first then, i think ive got a few laying around at work

mcgyvr

lets see.. low cost noisy (not FCC certified likely) led switching power supply right next to an antenna.. :hmm:
yes ferrites can help attenuate it.. start there
luckily its "noise/interference" you can hear so its easy to troubleshoot..

Last edited:

iRonin

Check out this post:
f274/radio-static-due-to-led-lights-1026961.html#post21510810

This is LED driver circuit noise...

All LED light modules have the LED (light emitting diode) mounted to a "driver" circuit board. The circuit allows the same voltage to get to multiple diodes and handles a few things that are needed to get them to light up.

It takes a little bit of engineering to make sure the driver circuit does not emit large amounts of "junk" radio frequency noise. Any device that needs FCC approval is required by law to have a very small amount of emitted junk noise.

Since car parts do not need to be approved by the FCC, then any first year electronics student can design the driver board with no thought of what noise might be coming off their circuit. This usually happens in parts made in countries with not-so-good engineering backgrounds.

If you have a noisy light, there really isn't much you can do.

My recommendation is to return these lights as defective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Show a little respect and please don't link to other forums. If you have something to add, just add it.

WJCO

Meme King
Some more info. I was just outside and messed with this a little. On a good local station, none of my LED lights caused any interference issues while on. However, on a not so good station that only works sometimes, any of my LEDs lights made the station way worse when turned on. This tells me that the hard-working of the circuit is probably fine.

Pyro1415

How so? They are grounded to the battery, does it make any real difference from a chassis ground?

you want the shortest ground possible. Just FYI for future use. The antenna wire runs through the dash on the passenger side. Try disconnecting the passenger light and see if you still get noise. If you don't you might try just getting the wires and lights as far from the antenna and coax as possible.

Final fix- don't plug the coax in properly after installing your snorkel and just listen to aux and CDs because you're too lazy to fix the issue.

Desert Crawler

Show a little respect and please don't link to other forums. If you have something to add, just add it.
So I'm not trying to be an ass or confrontationable by any means. Consider me ignore if you please. But what is the harm of getting an answer elsewhere and sharing it here if you can't find the answer on this forum? To me it is just sharing useful information.

SilverBack

So I'm not trying to be an ass or confrontationable by any means. Consider me ignore if you please. But what is the harm of getting an answer elsewhere and sharing it here if you can't find the answer on this forum? To me it is just sharing useful information.

Because these forums are businesses. Like posting a DHL or UPS add in the FedEx frequently asked questions area. This information can be shared but share the information don't send the customer to the competition... This is why is not cool how you attempted to share the information.

Rodeo_jk

I wouldnt think it has much to do with the light being near the antenna because it does it to my cb as well and that antenna is on my tailgate far from the lights

WJCO

Meme King
I wouldnt think it has much to do with the light being near the antenna because it does it to my cb as well and that antenna is on my tailgate far from the lights

I agree. And my light bar on the roof will cause the issue too even with a shorty antenna on the fender.

Desert Crawler

Because these forums are businesses. Like posting a DHL or UPS add in the FedEx frequently asked questions area. This information can be shared but share the information don't send the customer to the competition... This is why is not cool how you attempted to share the information.

Dude. I simply asked the question. I DID NOT post links to any other websites and NEVER have. Perhaps you should point the finger at the one who did it instead of me Silverback.

Top Bottom