For $5000 would you.....?

Jeepnoub

I have had something that has been itching me since I bought my jku. That I bought the sport instead of the rubicon. My intentions where to do axles swaps, lifts, ect. But as I do more and more research I find the costs of everything very overwhelming.

I love my jeep and planned on keeping it forever. But a deal came up where I can trade my sport in for a rubicon and net about a $5000 difference. So, the question should I jump? Or should I be patient like I originally planned to do mods slowly?

My thoughts with a rubicon would be do other mods first and upgrade axles down the road. It's the dana 30 in my sport that has me thinking all of this.

Thanks for any advice.

rogerk93

Well it all depends on how you want to build your rig. Yes the cost to do the upgrades is very overwhelming as I was shocked also when I started. but as I go on and build my jeep the way I want to and get to where I want. It would have been pointless for me to get a rubicon. My next big upgrade is getting front and rear prorock 60's with arb lockers. If you don't have much money into your current setup and don't plan on going crazy then go for it but I would suggest staying with your current setup and building it better than a rubicon

el_chupo_

What, exactly, is your vision for your jeep build?

Both the reality of life build, and the "when I get that big christmas bonus" build?

Jeepnoub

What, exactly, is your vision for your jeep build?

Both the reality of life build, and the "when I get that big christmas bonus" build?

A nice dependable rig to run 37's. I have a work truck that I get to bring home. So I would like it to be fully capable of doing the trails here in northern California.

A dream setup would be 1 tons, dtd, and 40's.

toxicwaste29

I like my sport but the biggest regret I have over is not having gotten a Rubicon. It's not having gotten an auto. A manual is much more challenging on the rocks and can get tiresome

Since you are out west its a harder decision. if you were back east I would say go for it for sure as a Rubicon can handle pretty much anything we have. Out there you might need even more. So it depends on what you want to build. The Rubi would let get a ump on the build though.

Brute

Hooked
A nice dependable rig to run 37's. I have a work truck that I get to bring home. So I would like it to be fully capable of doing the trails here in northern California.

A dream setup would be 1 tons, dtd, and 40's.

Your dream setup is going to cost you 30k (if you do the install yourself)...if this truly is a reality for you, stick with what you got. However, a stock Rubi with D44's, 4:1 tcase & lockers...throw on some 35's...and you will be wheelin' most everywhere...and you can really take your time financially building it from here...

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Personally I would keep your sport you just said your gunna change the axles down the road anyway so just do dynatrac axles when you switch. That's what I would do unless you never plan on changing anything then yeah the rubicon would be the way To go .

Jeepnoub

Your dream setup is going to cost you 30k (if you do the install yourself)...if this truly is a reality for you, stick with what you got. However, a stock Rubi with D44's, 4:1 tcase & lockers...throw on some 35's...and you will be wheelin' most everywhere...and you can really take your time financially building it from here...

And there's no way I'm spending more then what the jeep cost new to build it up, unless I made well into the 6 figure range.

metalic

And there's no way I'm spending more then what the jeep cost new to build it up, unless I made well into the 6 figure range.

A jeep may not be the right vehicle for you. :D

Just playing
With that said we have a 07 we bought with 40k miles over 5 years ago. I have as close to as much in it than we paid for it and it's not hard to do.

rogerk93

I've spent 30k on my jeep just in parts already and I don't have one ton yet. If you don't plan on changing certain parts that are expensive I would go for the rubicon.

RedRum

That's a tough call I traded in my sport for a rubicon but I also moved from a 2-4dr ... I don't regret my decision but it really is up to you and what your plans are ...

Jeepnoub

I've spent 30k on my jeep just in parts already and I don't have one ton yet. If you don't plan on changing certain parts that are expensive I would go for the rubicon.

A jeep may not be the right vehicle for you. :D

Just playing
With that said we have a 07 we bought with 40k miles over 5 years ago. I have as close to as much in it than we paid for it and it's not hard to do.

I think he meant 30k just for axles, dtd, and wheels and tires only. I would imagine it being closer to 40k after all the bumpers, tire carrier, winch and other necessary odds and ends

Top Bottom