For $5000 would you.....?

Brute

Hooked
I think he meant 30k just for axles, dtd, and wheels and tires only. I would imagine it being closer to 40k after all the bumpers, tire carrier, winch and other necessary odds and ends

Don't even think about a V8 swap...

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Your dream setup is going to cost you 30k (if you do the install yourself)...if this truly is a reality for you, stick with what you got. However, a stock Rubi with D44's, 4:1 tcase & lockers...throw on some 35's...and you will be wheelin' most everywhere...and you can really take your time financially building it from here...

This is some sound advice here. Depending on how hard you wheel, you could build it up to those 37 you want as money permits as well. 35s on a Rubi will get you playing plenty.

Bam Bam 98

It's costly but to have the satisfaction of building exactly what you invisioned it's the best feeling in the world. I built mine last year and it was an easy 30k but I can take it anywhere I want and it never lets me down. All I can say is if your looking at cost try to buy it in stages when deals are available. If your able to be patient you could save some money but don't chinse out on parts make sure you get the right stuff to make your build is strong and safe.

el_chupo_

So being practical, you can get away with a factory 44 rear and a PR44 for 37s without any issues. With a Rubicon with 4.10s, you can run locked on 35s for a couple grand (wheels/tires/small lift/trimmed fenders/driveshaft), and for a few more thousand you can do the PR44 and move to the 37s. You can keep the E-lockers when you do this, or go to ARB when you make the switch, but you are talking about a practical build price of about $12-15K if you really do some shopping and find some used deals (maybe less) with bumpers, winch, lift, wheels/tires, drive shaft, PR44, etc, all in.

vs $30k+ on the dream build.

Around here (TX), a Rubicon will easily hold a 3-5k premium vs a sport, so in my mind, the Rubicon is a smart move, as it saves you a minimum of $1k on regearing for 35s if you want to take that step, and gets you lockers to start wheeling right off the bat.

On the flip side, $5k is almost enough for a PR44 and regear for your sport. Its a tough call, but I went Rubicon and a slow build for budget reasons, as I have other hobbies that take significant money investments as well, so I wont do a full build all at once.

Jeepnoub

So being practical, you can get away with a factory 44 rear and a PR44 for 37s without any issues. With a Rubicon with 4.10s, you can run locked on 35s for a couple grand (wheels/tires/small lift/trimmed fenders/driveshaft), and for a few more thousand you can do the PR44 and move to the 37s. You can keep the E-lockers when you do this, or go to ARB when you make the switch, but you are talking about a practical build price of about $12-15K if you really do some shopping and find some used deals (maybe less) with bumpers, winch, lift, wheels/tires, drive shaft, PR44, etc, all in.

vs $30k+ on the dream build.

Around here (TX), a Rubicon will easily hold a 3-5k premium vs a sport, so in my mind, the Rubicon is a smart move, as it saves you a minimum of $1k on regearing for 35s if you want to take that step, and gets you lockers to start wheeling right off the bat.

On the flip side, $5k is almost enough for a PR44 and regear for your sport. Its a tough call, but I went Rubicon and a slow build for budget reasons, as I have other hobbies that take significant money investments as well, so I wont do a full build all at once.

15k was what I was shooting for in the end of it all. 30k+ I just couldn't justify. I was a motorcycle mechanic for 8 years so wrenching, welding, and setting up gears are no problem for me. The more I have thought about the more I realize what you said. The difference is almost the price of the pr44. And it take another 5+ months to pay it off. I'm not doing any mods until the jeep is paid off either way. So I think waiting 5 months to save for the PR44 after I pay it off is the best choice.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was on the phone with the dealership and have everything lined up, don't think that salesmen will like me very much . I'm just inpatient and need to stick to the course I chose to begin with and keep the sport.

Last edited:

rogerk93

The most important factor is you having fun with your build and happy with whAt you worked for. Like most of us we work hard for our money and just enjoy the journey of where your jeep takes you.

Jeepnoub

The most important factor is you having fun with your build and happy with whAt you worked for. Like most of us we work hard for our money and just enjoy the journey of where your jeep takes you.

Probably the best advice so far. I really like my jeep. More of an obsession now. I need to practice patients and my jeep will be what I want it to be. It will happen, the harder I work the faster it will happen.

Top Bottom