RockHard over Rubicon

Speeddmn

So, my wife and I are thinking of getting another wrangler soon. I know with out a doight I want another Rubi. That is untill I look at what the RockHard's come with and how down the road those extra cool add ons will be worth a few bucks toward upgrades in that department.

My question to those that have the Rock Hard/10A or whatever they want to call it this week. How are the bumpers, and sliders? Is the little recovery kit even worth a shit or a novelty item?

Does a warn zeon fit in the front bumper? Scoops on the hood fuction at all? If not can those plastic pieces pop out and be modded to be fuctional?

Got it narrowed down to white, granite or black for color. Thinking white will win tho. Unless I can find a Gecko that is still new! Haha

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I'm in Australia and bought a Rubicon X which came as a slightly different package it what you get in the states but the main items are the same.

The bumpers are surprisingly strong for their lightweight. I've buried the front bumper hard and dragged the rear a few times with only a few minor scratches. There's been times I thought the plastic caps on the front would shatter but again only minor scratches. Mine came with standard sliders and they are ok saved me a couple of times but I swapped them after they pushed into the tub pivoting around a stump.

Hood scoops are for show no matter what you do to them. Pretty sure you can fit a Zeon but I'm running an XD9000.

What's the recovery kit that they come with?

Benito

Caught the Bug
So, my wife and I are thinking of getting another wrangler soon. I know with out a doight I want another Rubi. That is untill I look at what the RockHard's come with and how down the road those extra cool add ons will be worth a few bucks toward upgrades in that department.

My question to those that have the Rock Hard/10A or whatever they want to call it this week. How are the bumpers, and sliders? Is the little recovery kit even worth a shit or a novelty item?

Does a warn zeon fit in the front bumper? Scoops on the hood fuction at all? If not can those plastic pieces pop out and be modded to be fuctional?

Got it narrowed down to white, granite or black for color. Thinking white will win tho. Unless I can find a Gecko that is still new! Haha

The bumpers seem thin to me, the rock sliders will work as well as any sliders that bolt to the pinch seem, just like the Rubi rails but with an added bar. If the recovery kit is like the one that comes in the Cherokee trailhawk all it has is a pair of gloves and a tow strap. I believe some people have put the Zeon in the bumper, the hood scoops are functional. I would get a Rubi, and buy the hood separately, all the other stuff that make the RH can be replaced with better aftermarket items JMHO.

SilverBack

I have a 15 JKUR Hard Rock and love it! I've installed a ZEON 10s without a problem. Only mod to the number was to enlarge the hill for a center mount fairlead. The bumpers are all good for dirt and mud type stuff but wouldn't want to bang the around on too many rocks. The hood is awesome and works fine for my needs. I'm surprised at how tough the coating is on the "rock sliders" as well as how good they look.

Speeddmn

I'm in Australia and bought a Rubicon X which came as a slightly different package it what you get in the states but the main items are the same.

The bumpers are surprisingly strong for their lightweight. I've buried the front bumper hard and dragged the rear a few times with only a few minor scratches. There's been times I thought the plastic caps on the front would shatter but again only minor scratches. Mine came with standard sliders and they are ok saved me a couple of times but I swapped them after they pushed into the tub pivoting around a stump.

Hood scoops are for show no matter what you do to them. Pretty sure you can fit a Zeon but I'm running an XD9000.

What's the recovery kit that they come with?

From the photos ive seen online, it looks to be gloves, snatch block, 2 shackles, and a strap. Plus the bag they go in.

Speeddmn

The bumpers seem thin to me, the rock sliders will work as well as any sliders that bolt to the pinch seem, just like the Rubi rails but with an added bar. If the recovery kit is like the one that comes in the Cherokee trailhawk all it has is a pair of gloves and a tow strap. I believe some people have put the Zeon in the bumper, the hood scoops are functional. I would get a Rubi, and buy the hood separately, all the other stuff that make the RH can be replaced with better aftermarket items JMHO.

I would replace the bumpers, sliders eventually just not right away. The standard plastic bumper on the Rubi's and all the other models is usless and isnt worth re-selling. I like the fact I can bring it home and take the ends off. Also feel that when it is time to upgrade I can unload the factory bumper for enough to cover the cost of a better one.

Speeddmn

I have a 15 JKUR Hard Rock and love it! I've installed a ZEON 10s without a problem. Only mod to the number was to enlarge the hill for a center mount fairlead. The bumpers are all good for dirt and mud type stuff but wouldn't want to bang the around on too many rocks. The hood is awesome and works fine for my needs. I'm surprised at how tough the coating is on the "rock sliders" as well as how good they look.

Im glad a 10s will fit, that is the one I would be getting. Or a powerplant.... Dang it. I was also surprised as to how well our factory rubi sliders held up on our 2010. EVO ones will be ordered very quickly if we decide on doing this.

Samlautranger

Think a lot of it comes down to price as well. With Rock Hard costing up close to the mid-40s and higher, ones I have seen on lots. If you can afford it, and it has the options you want, then go for it.

I do like the Hard Rock trim. Very nice looking, for sure.

For me, with what I want and would do, and the aftermarket mods ( lift kit, etc) that I would add - there is no way I could afford a Hard Rock edition.

Ctimrun

I made this same decision recently, regular rubicon versus hard rock rubicon. The wife wanted me to get the hard rock rubicon and if it was going to be her daily driver that's what I would have done. Since it is for me to daily drive and I knew I wanted to pick new bumpers and the hood doesn't do much for me so I ended up getting the regular rubicon.

No matter what you decide you will be happy, good problem to have. :thumb:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I want to get another four door for the wife and would love to go with the hard rock rubi for the bumpers, hood, etc. It will be her daily driver but still capable if we wanted to take it somewhere with mild wheeling in mind and leave mine at home.

The plan is to throw an EVO leveling kit on it, good shocks sometime, 33s, winch, skid plates, and recovery gear and drive it.

bouche03

Go standard Rubicon and get good bumpers and sliders. The HR ones aren't going to be as protective as aftermarket

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

How are the hood scoops functional? The hole in the bottom is a drain. The front lip means they're hidden in the aero boundary layer when moving so the hot air isn't going to be pulled out. Even if you opened the bottom right out very little hot air would escape when crawling as the engine cover mostly blocks them from the radiator.

bouche03

How are the hood scoops functional? The hole in the bottom is a drain. The front lip means they're hidden in the aero boundary layer when moving so the hot air isn't going to be pulled out. Even if you opened the bottom right out very little hot air would escape when crawling as the engine cover mostly blocks them from the radiator.

agreed, if they wanted it to be more functional to cool the engine bay, then the vents should have been opened to the front, not rear

JeepDrum

...Unless I can find a Gecko that is still new! Haha

Unfortunately the color Gecko has been discontinued. I believe it was only 2012-2013 or something like that. My sister's two door is a '12 Gecko and she had a hell of a time tracking one down.

Benito

Caught the Bug

I have no knowledge in air flow in compact spaces but those vents are opened, not closed molded prices plastic. Nonetheless heat rises and when crawling you don't have much air flow passing over your hood anyways so it kind of is another point for hot air to escape.

The bumpers are AEV. I got mine for under 40k. It just depends on what options you have in it. It was cheaper than upgrading a Rubicon.

Speeddmn

The bumpers are AEV. I got mine for under 40k. It just depends on what options you have in it. It was cheaper than upgrading a Rubicon.

Only options I really want is automatic. We have the better nav/stereo in our current 2010 and we don't use all the features. We just plug the aux cable in when we don't have regular radio stations. Heated seats would be cool (or warm i guess) on those chilly naked drives in to work. remote start is cool, but really isn't needed. Prefer 4.10 gears but cars.com and auto trader don't usually give all the info, so been digging up window stickers as I can find them to see what is what.

Maybe monday or tuesday I will drive down to one of the dealers and give a look. I'd love to see Anvil, White, Rhino, Billet, Granite, and Black side by side.

Drdiesel1

I looked at the HR, but didn't want leather and the 8.4 display audio system
for an off road vehicle. While the trim level is nice, it's not worth it unless
you can waste money on a mall krawler. I purchased the JKUR with an
MSRP of $42K and promptly installed a 2.5 lift and 35's.

Took it to Death Valley and filled it with desert dust for 3 days of topless off road fun :rock:

I was running stock tire for this trip with spacers.
12495950_938106552973723_4124346039291347777_o.jpg

Only options I really want is automatic. We have the better nav/stereo in our current 2010 and we don't use all the features. We just plug the aux cable in when we don't have regular radio stations. Heated seats would be cool (or warm i guess) on those chilly naked drives in to work. remote start is cool, but really isn't needed. Prefer 4.10 gears but cars.com and auto trader don't usually give all the info, so been digging up window stickers as I can find them to see what is what.

Maybe monday or tuesday I will drive down to one of the dealers and give a look. I'd love to see Anvil, White, Rhino, Billet, Granite, and Black side by side.

I looked at the HR, but didn't want leather and the 8.4 display audio system
for an off road vehicle. While the trim level is nice, it's not worth it unless
you can waste money on a mall krawler. I purchased the JKUR with an
MSRP of $42K and promptly installed a 2.5 lift and 35's.

Took it to Death Valley and filled it with desert dust for 3 days of topless off road fun :rock:

I was running stock tire for this trip with spacers.
View attachment 197728

I got mine auto with 4.10s base radio and a soft top for the same price as your Rubicon. With my trade in I'm sub 40k. The leather and heated seats gets the wife on board and with my job it may end up her daily driver.

professorkx

I have a 2014 rubicon x, and the zeon fit behind the front bumper just great. I pulled the front bumper ends, so run the stock stubby and like the look. I hit plenty of rock in moab last year and the front bumper held up great.

The rear didn't get damaged in moab, but it seems pretty light, so its going on my wife's 2009 sport. I wanted a swinging spare carrier, but don't like the AEV offset, so installed a poison spyder, and I like the hitch mounted in the bumper giving me more clearance on departure.

I love the look of the hood, but don't think there is much heat control as the vent holes are so small.

Top Bottom