Drive shaft opinion needed for a newly modified 6" long arm installation.

supra_launch21v

I am finishing up with a 6' long arm install. I need help with driveshaft selection. What is my best choice for a drive shaft? I have a 2010 Jeep JKUR.
6" long arm
37" tires
dana 44 axle housing, gusseted and trussed.
RCV axles

My focus will be on less maintenance, if I have a choice.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend a set of JE Reel 1350 shafts. Unlike other popular brands, they come with made in the USA high quality Neapco u-joints without having to request them as an upgrade. I've run a lot of different shafts and these are what I run now.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
6 foot long arms? Post some pics. :) : cheesy:

As above... JE Reel.

Probably looks like this.

tumblr_mdssknCycH1r6l3uko1_500.jpg

And I am with the others, JE Reel 1350.

StrizzyChris

J.E. or coast are pretty well spoke of all by everyone. If you are wanting personal experience then look no further than to tons of people speaking highly of these companies. Their track record is proven, but for that same reason they get to charge more and make more profit off everyone. Nothing wrong with that as it shows they have a quality product.

There's a company called Adam's and they make custom shafts. If you go with a 1310 you can get front and rear for around 650 shipped to your door. They only use those same made in the USA Napco joints as well. So thats a big plus in my opinion and for that price they are a heck of a deal.

I know the price goes up significantly if you do their 1350, and become more of the price point that all the other brands are selling for. At that point the value would be up to the consumer. I like supporting the little man if and whenever possible within a budget.

I have never personally used that company or shaft so cant speak from experience, just by word of mouth just like you're getting now from me and all others. But for some of those small reasons, I still may go with them on my purchase if I decide to go 1350 :twocents:

Gibbo

I would recommend a set of JE Reel 1350 shafts. Unlike other popular brands, they come with made in the USA high quality Neapco u-joints without having to request them as an upgrade. I've run a lot of different shafts and these are what I run now.

Yeah, what he said!:thumb::thumb:

supra_launch21v

I looked into the Coast. I have a buddy who loves his Adams. My BIGGEST concern is maintenance. I really don't want to pull the shafts off the Jeep every 3-5K miles to grease them. I need something that balances relatively easy (it is going to be a small diameter shaft) and can support a 6" of lift. Can anyone with experience explain why the JE Reels are the best? Is it based on maintenance, strength, balancing at high speed. Cost is not an issue (though I don't like throwing money away). I just don't want to be a slave to this thing. What kind of joints do I want?

Thanks, Wayne

MTG

Caught the Bug
supra_launch21v said:
I looked into the Coast. I have a buddy who loves his Adams. My BIGGEST concern is maintenance. I really don't want to pull the shafts off the Jeep every 3-5K miles to grease them. I need something that balances relatively easy (it is going to be a small diameter shaft) and can support a 6" of lift. Can anyone with experience explain why the JE Reels are the best? Is it based on maintenance, strength, balancing at high speed. Cost is not an issue (though I don't like throwing money away). I just don't want to be a slave to this thing. What kind of joints do I want?

Thanks, Wayne

It's been said before, but a DS is a DS. For the most part they are all about the same. Coast, Adams, JE Reel are probably all fine. Maintenance is part of the gig, but you shouldn't feel like a slave to them. Throw a grease gun on them when you change the oil. Spicer or Neapco is what you want.

supra_launch21v

The Teraflex shaft requires you to remove the shaft to grease the center U-joint needle bearings. That is something I really don't want to do. If they are all that way, okay. But man, that doesn't sound really fun. I have a local drive shaft company that can build me one too, that is always an option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Teraflex shaft requires you to remove the shaft to grease the center U-joint needle bearings. That is something I really don't want to do. If they are all that way, okay. But man, that doesn't sound really fun. I have a local drive shaft company that can build me one too, that is always an option.

I am sorry but the TF shafts which are made Tatton are junk. I can't count how many of their shafts I have seen and/or read about where they've failed at the welds or were balanced poorly. I recommend JE Reel because they use made in the USA Neapco u-joints and they have proven themselves to be superior over a cheaper Chinese made u-joints that a lot of other popular companies use. If you have a local shop build you some shafts, just make sure to get them with Spicer or Neapco joints and you should be okay.

supra_launch21v

I have heard the horror stories regarding the TF shafts. I think I am going to go with my local source. I am going to have them quote me on the Neapco.

Top Bottom