Engine Sputter Shifting into 2nd

Charlie Mike

I have a 2011 4door Rubicon, 6 speed manual transmission.

With just over 55,000 miles on it, I'm recently experiencing an engine sputter while shifting into 2nd gear. Sometimes 1st gear as well, but mostly 2nd. At first I thought it was just me not shifting correctly, but the sputter persists even while concentrating to shift the same way I always have.

It's similar to the feeling you get when you are first learning how to drive a manual transmission, and the engine sputters out to a stall if you don't shift correctly. You can usually "power out of it" with a little more throttle as a beginner, but the sputter becomes more violent when I try this. Lately I've been having to hit the clutch to stop the sputter completely and then try shifting again. Or I'll rev the engine a little more to raise the RPMs and then slowly let the clutch go, instead of mixing the clutch and throttle simultaneously as I've always done.

But what gives? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have a 2011 4door Rubicon, 6 speed manual transmission.

With just over 55,000 miles on it, I'm recently experiencing an engine sputter while shifting into 2nd gear. Sometimes 1st gear as well, but mostly 2nd. At first I thought it was just me not shifting correctly, but the sputter persists even while concentrating to shift the same way I always have.

It's similar to the feeling you get when you are first learning how to drive a manual transmission, and the engine sputters out to a stall if you don't shift correctly. You can usually "power out of it" with a little more throttle as a beginner, but the sputter becomes more violent when I try this. Lately I've been having to hit the clutch to stop the sputter completely and then try shifting again. Or I'll rev the engine a little more to raise the RPMs and then slowly let the clutch go, instead of mixing the clutch and throttle simultaneously as I've always done.

But what gives? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

My :twocents:

It sounds possibly like a fuel problem, has it thrown any codes? What about fuel filter? or even air filter? :thinking:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue. If your under warranty I'd take it in ASAP. If not I'd start with the fuel filters and a new air filter. A good throttle body cleaning and some seafoam in the tank can't hurt either.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only time I've an issue like that on our JK is when we were running 85 octane at higher elevations. Of course, it could have just been bad gas too. I wonder if maybe you have a bad injector. If it keeps up, you should throw a code and then it'll be easier to track down.

jkhutchison09

Had the same issue with my '11 Sahara and would get the sputter on 2nd and 3rd. Only have 13,000 on it so I figured couldn't be something going bad already. Put 89 octane in it to see if it was a fuel issue and sure enough the sputter went away. Every couple months if using 87 (on post only) would I notice the sputter.

Top Bottom