Dynatrac ProSteer & RCV Shafts

JKUR-08

Hey everyone, so this weekend I was thinking about replacing my ball joints with some crown non-HD ball joints with my RCV axle shafts but I am thinking that the pro steers would be best bet, especially since they can be rebuilt some years down the road. My only concern is clearance with the RCV axle shaft hub. Has anyone run this combo and can comment on whether they will fit without modification on a stock D44 housing? I have had the axle shafts in my garage now for too long to return them, so they are definitely going in, but I want to get the best ball joints I can unless they won't fit of course. Thanks in advance.

Havoc40

Hey everyone, so this weekend I was thinking about replacing my ball joints with some crown non-HD ball joints with my RCV axle shafts but I am thinking that the pro steers would be best bet, especially since they can be rebuilt some years down the road. My only concern is clearance with the RCV axle shaft hub. Has anyone run this combo and can comment on whether they will fit without modification on a stock D44 housing? I have had the axle shafts in my garage now for too long to return them, so they are definitely going in, but I want to get the best ball joints I can unless they won't fit of course. Thanks in advance.

I installed Prosteers in my buddies Jeep a few months ago. He's running RCV's and they fit without issue.

Havoc40

Make sure you purchase the newer, low-profile model (I understand there was an issue between the older version and RCVs)

That's correct. To my knowledge, unless you're buying somebodies old stock, you can't buy the older models any more. When I bought mine in August, it was still an option. I'm running Ten Factory shafts so it really wasn't an issue but, I still ordered the newer low profile. I've since installed these on 3 other Jeeps and could only buy the new model for those.

JoeB-JKURX

This is what Dynatrac had to say back in 2010.

"Dynatrac collaborated with RCV and we found the ProSteer Lower ball joint is likely to interfere with the RCV boot. As of now we do not recommend using the RCV JK Rubicon axle shafts with the JK ProSteer lower ball joint. Customer safety is our number one concern and until Dynatrac has an approved solution, we do not recommend using RCV shafts with JK ProSteer lower ball joints."

I can't say for sure whether Dynatrac changed something on the ball joint or RCV changed something on the axle shafts. There clearly was a problem at one time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is what Dynatrac had to say back in 2010.

"Dynatrac collaborated with RCV and we found the ProSteer Lower ball joint is likely to interfere with the RCV boot. As of now we do not recommend using the RCV JK Rubicon axle shafts with the JK ProSteer lower ball joint. Customer safety is our number one concern and until Dynatrac has an approved solution, we do not recommend using RCV shafts with JK ProSteer lower ball joints."

I can't say for sure whether Dynatrac changed something on the ball joint or RCV changed something on the axle shafts. There clearly was a problem at one time.

This was addressed a long time ago and Dynatrac has since been selling low profile lower ball joints.

JoeB-JKURX

This was addressed a long time ago and Dynatrac has since been selling low profile lower ball joints.

That was the point I was trying to make in my earlier post on this thread. When I bought my Prosteers, I almost bought the old style (about 8 months ago). They were being offered as a clearance item (in small print) on at least one website at a significantly lower price. When I looked up the part number being offered, it was different from the items being offered at a higher price. Further investigation revealed that they were not the lower profile type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom