Tie rod question

Devallee

My factory ends are no good so I'm looking to replace em. My understanding is that the driver side TRE is replaceable but the passenger side isnt? I want to go with moog ends because I like how they're greasable but not sure what tie rod to go with. So my question is, what's a good tie rod that's basically an OEM equivalent (something that won't break the bank) that'll accept moog ends? The $500+ HD stuff with one tons will have to wait until there's a worthy axle to put it on

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I would post up in the wanted section as there should be tons of guys with factory take off tie-rods that are still in pretty good condition.

That being said, what makes you so sure that your TRE's are shot? Rotational movement in the TRE's is totally normal. If there is shifting side to side or up and down, they are toast.

JKbrick

If you can justify the cost get a hd now, your knuckles and steering transfer over to new axles in most cases, the 44's at least

Devallee

Honestly, I would post up in the wanted section as there should be tons of guys with factory take off tie-rods that are still in pretty good condition.

That being said, what makes you so sure that your TRE's are shot? Rotational movement in the TRE's is totally normal. If there is shifting side to side or up and down, they are toast.

I'm getting some side to side play when I jack up the front end and have someone cycle the steering back and forth. Also the boots are cracked and falling apart

Devallee

Is the passenger side TRE removable? It's threaded so I would imagine it is but I've read somewhere that they're threaded in then pressed or something...

rinkishjk

I'm sure moog makes both parts, but it might just be better to spend money on a stronger, upgraded one.

crowrb29

My factory ends are no good so I'm looking to replace em. My understanding is that the driver side TRE is replaceable but the passenger side isnt? I want to go with moog ends because I like how they're greasable but not sure what tie rod to go with. So my question is, what's a good tie rod that's basically an OEM equivalent (something that won't break the bank) that'll accept moog ends? The $500+ HD stuff with one tons will have to wait until there's a worthy axle to put it on

Crown makes the whole thing for around 100 bucks. The ends aren't great able though. It's exactly the same as the stock one.

Top Bottom