New Gears

So my JKU is my DD I do go off road but mud, sand, trails nothing crazy
I would like to add new gears for 37s I'd like to use my stock axles I have a 3" lift currently
Do I use 456 or 488 gears
Anything else I should do?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would like to add new gears for 37s I'd like to use my stock axles I have a 3" lift currently

What year is your jeep?

Im assuming its a non-rubicon model?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

4.88's then will be perfect for you for DD and for when you wheel

I'd have to agree with Coz here. I've recently rode in all kinds of JKs with various gear ratios. For a DD with frequent off road use, 4.88s seemed like the best combo for me and what I was looking for, and is what I will be going with on my next build. The 4.88s drove well with both 35s and 37s. Considering I'm going to be running the 35s from my last rig, and upgrading to 37s in the future, the 4.88s were the sweet spot to me.

swampdog

I'd have to agree with Coz here. I've recently rode in all kinds of JKs with various gear ratios. For a DD with frequent off road use, 4.88s seemed like the best combo for me and what I was looking for, and is what I will be going with on my next build. The 4.88s drove well with both 35s and 37s. Considering I'm going to be running the 35s from my last rig, and upgrading to 37s in the future, the 4.88s were the sweet spot to me.

I'll echo this sentiment. I'm currently on 35s with 4.88s and am very happy, and believe they will pair well once I make the jump to 37s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to add what others have stated, I would recommend 4.88. That'll bring you up to stock performance and still leave you with a bigger pinion in your Dana 30.

TennJK

I have 4.88's going into my jeep the beginning of this week. I am excited to see how they do. I'll let you know how I feel when I pick it up

jeeeep

Hooked
do you already have C gussets?
you will want to check the length and routing of your brake and abs lines, i know my 37s would rub the brake lines when in reverse and tight turns.

do you already have C gussets?
you will want to check the length and routing of your brake and abs lines, i know my 37s would rub the brake lines when in reverse and tight turns.

I am planning on adding the truss and gussets when I regear

Coop

Caught the Bug
I have 4.88's going into my jeep the beginning of this week. I am excited to see how they do. I'll let you know how I feel when I pick it up
I just regeared to 4.88s with 37s and it is pretty sweet. The tire height is 35.5 on the ground so my RPM at 70 mph is just above 2700.

Top Bottom