Diff oil question...

JEJ0308

I know, I know, there's a ton of diff fluid write ups out there, and I've prob read/watched most of them, but hear me out; I changed the diff fluid on my 13 JKUR, used 80w-90 dino gear oil, got the jeep as level as I could (actually broke out the level to make sure of it), however after draining and filling both diffs to the point where it was coming back out of the fill hole, I had only used about 2 3/4 - 3 qts total. If I read all of the write ups correctly, it should've been closer to 3 3/4 - 4 qts total.
I didn't remove the diff covers, so it may be possible that there was still a fair amount of fluid still in there, but I waited til it stopped dripping, and even rocked the Jeep back and forth just to make sure it all came out.
Like all the videos and write ups showed, it's a super simple job, just curious as to why my fluid capacity seems to be way off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Having about 3 quarts total drain out is pretty normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Top Bottom