Ride quality

Blackwidow JK

I am newer to wayalife, mostly reading everyone's posts. But my ride quality went to the dumps once I put in my lift (I know that it's a jeep and all) here is what I have done, 3.5 jks jspec lift (dual rate coils) with Fox 2.0 shocks, and rock krawler front lower control arms. The ride is rather rough compared to stock, anything I can do to improve this? I should mention that it's a 2013 2 door. Thanks in advance

tonytony9

I am newer to wayalife, mostly reading everyone's posts. But my ride quality went to the dumps once I put in my lift (I know that it's a jeep and all) here is what I have done, 3.5 jks jspec lift (dual rate coils) with Fox 2.0 shocks, and rock krawler front lower control arms. The ride is rather rough compared to stock, anything I can do to improve this? I should mention that it's a 2013 2 door. Thanks in advance

I was going to recommend changing out your shocks but seems like you have already done that. Really do not know if there is much to do with improving the ride of your rig other than just going with a different setup. I have heard that AEV makes the closest to stock ride quality lift out there but that is only what my friends have told me. Very interested to see what others have to say. Don't think there is much though.

Edit: Glad to see another East Coaster joining Wayalife

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

How much air are you running in your tires? If you are running too much air, something close to 40 psi, that is your problem - bring it back down to about 30 psi and you will see a huge improvement.

IF you are already running a reasonable amount of air, what I can tell you is that MOST of ride quality and comfort comes from the coils you are running. A dual rate coil is designed to hold up weight well and keep you from sagging but in order for them to do that, the lower part of the coil NEEDS to be firmer. Needless to say, what happens more times than not is that the soft part of the coil is already running solid and the only thing you're running on are lower firm side. Assuming this is the case for you, the solution would be to run a coil with a softer spring rate, something like an EVO Plush Ride. The down side to this is that if you are running heavy, you will most likely see some sag. The solution to this is to run coil spacers to make up the difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was going to recommend changing out your shocks but seems like you have already done that. Really do not know if there is much to do with improving the ride of your rig other than just going with a different setup. I have heard that AEV makes the closest to stock ride quality lift out there but that is only what my friends have told me. Very interested to see what others have to say. Don't think there is much though.

Edit: Glad to see another East Coaster joining Wayalife

Shocks help to absorb bumps in the road but they do NOT account for the bulk of your ride quality. As far as AEV goes, your friends speak highly of them because it's the kit they chose to buy - NOT because they make a better ride and in my opinion, the factory ride isn't even that great. AEV uses a dual rate coil just like JKS and from experience testing out their coils, I can tell you that they are some of the harshest coils I have ridden on. I would NOT recommend them if you're looking for a softer ride.

Blackwidow JK

I am running 28 psi, okay thank you for confirming what I thought it was. I wasn't sure if it was the shocks of coils! Thank you for the help! Yep I'm an East coaster Tonytony9

hawklee

Ive read and tend to agree (on limited experience) that there is a "break in" period with new coils. I installed 3.5' in Oct/Nov and would say that ride improved in 3 months or so.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I am running 28 psi, okay thank you for confirming what I thought it was. I wasn't sure if it was the shocks of coils! Thank you for the help! Yep I'm an East coaster Tonytony9

While the Fox 2.0 is a stiffer shock, as Wayalife mentioned, the coils account for the bulk of your ride quality. I had the JKS linear springs on my last rig and they were only slightly stiffer than stock. Although the stock ride isn't great, there aren't many lift springs that will give you a softer ride. The EVO plush rides and maybe the OME light duty springs should soften things up a bit for you. I see DV8 is marketing a plush, "softer than stock" spring but have zero experience with them and know no one running their stuff. Depending on the tire size you are running, or planning on running, a budget boost might be the best answer for you if you want to retain the stock ride quality. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Top Bottom