Red Flashing Lightning Bolt

hhunter050

Alright so lately this has been happening. I get in my jeep, drive around for about 5 minutes give or take and a red lightning bolt on my dash starts flashing, Traction Control turns off, my jeep idles at 1k RPM, and I have delayed throttle response. Just wondering if anybody has had the same problem and what fixed it?

Coop

Caught the Bug
1. Monitor the voltage on the Pink/Yellow wire for the 5 volt power supply. This power feeds the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor, Exhaust Gas Re-Circulation (EGR) Control Valve, Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS), Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor and the Variable Line Pressure Sensor (RLE). If the voltage is low, unplug the sensors on the circuit one at a time until the shorted sensor is found.

Could be an internal throttle body issue too. Check the 5 volt ref. voltage input first.

Where is the 5v ref volt input accessed?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Alright so lately this has been happening. I get in my jeep, drive around for about 5 minutes give or take and a red lightning bolt on my dash starts flashing, Traction Control turns off, my jeep idles at 1k RPM, and I have delayed throttle response. Just wondering if anybody has had the same problem and what fixed it?

Sounds like an ETC problem. Would you happen to have a Sprint Booster installed?

hhunter050

1. Monitor the voltage on the Pink/Yellow wire for the 5 volt power supply. This power feeds the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor, Exhaust Gas Re-Circulation (EGR) Control Valve, Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS), Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor and the Variable Line Pressure Sensor (RLE). If the voltage is low, unplug the sensors on the circuit one at a time until the shorted sensor is found.

Could be an internal throttle body issue too. Check the 5 volt ref. voltage input first.

From everything I've read it's either the sensor on the pedal or the throttle body so I'm going to get the codes checked so maybe I can a better idea. So how would I go about checking these wires?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No. I'm not quite sure what that is lol

A sprint booster is just an electronic device that gets installed on your accelerator pedal to help eliminate the lag in your throttle response. If you have the wiring too close to something like a CB antenna cable or other wiring, it'll cause your electronic throttle control fail and you will have the problem you are experiencing. Being that you don't have one, I'd still have to think you've got some kind of issue with the throttle wiring.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From everything I've read it's either the sensor on the pedal or the throttle body so I'm going to get the codes checked so maybe I can a better idea. So how would I go about checking these wires?

I'd start by examining the plug at the pedal to make sure it isn't loose or damaged. Same with the throttle body.

hhunter050

A sprint booster is just an electronic device that gets installed on your accelerator pedal to help eliminate the lag in your throttle response. If you have the wiring too close to something like a CB antenna cable or other wiring, it'll cause your electronic throttle control fail and you will have the problem you are experiencing. Being that you don't have one, I'd still have to think you've got some kind of issue with the throttle wiring.

My cb is mounted right there sort of beside my throttle pedal. Wired into my ignition switch. Don't think that has anything to do with it. Do you think goin to get the codes checked would help figure out what's actually wrong

MattMc

My cb is mounted right there sort of beside my throttle pedal. Wired into my ignition switch. Don't think that has anything to do with it. Do you think goin to get the codes checked would help figure out what's actually wrong

Pulling codes is free, so I would definitely start there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. Was your CB on when you had this occur? If so, it very well could be your CB.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well It is on all the time when the jeep is on so I kinda figured it would've already caused problems before now

Doesn't work like that. Most of the time, you have to key the mic to make your ETC go off. The signal through the coax cable is strong and it's enough to get a light bulb to glow. Trust me, I've done it with my 3rd brake light - had the cable too close to it and every time I talked, the light would glow like when KITT talked on the old show Knight Rider show. If there's electrical leakage in the area and bleeding into your CB (that loud static sound you sometimes get when driving near power lines), that can cause it too.

Just trying to help.

hhunter050

Doesn't work like that. Most of the time, you have to key the mic to make your ETC go off. The signal through the coax cable is strong and it's enough to get a light bulb to glow. Trust me, I've done it with my 3rd brake light - had the cable too close to it and every time I talked, the light would glow like when KITT talked on the old show Knight Rider show. If there's electrical leakage in the area and bleeding into your CB (that loud static sound you sometimes get when driving near power lines), that can cause it too.

Just trying to help.

Of course man I appreciate the information. If It doesn't seem to be an obvious fix I'll definitely be coming back and looking at that.

Top Bottom