2012 JK unlimited suspension rattle

Rubicrush

Hey wayalifers! Need some advice, my 2012 JKU has a rattle coming from the front end somewhere. There is a pretty pronounced vibration through the steering wheel when going over small series of rigid bumps in the road. Also can feel a little rattle or shift when turning the steering wheel when sitting still or going real slow. Checked all the suspension components and ball joints etc. Can't find anything that looks bad, loose, or broken. Maybe you experts out there have a better idea or maybe have had this problem. Jeep has no lift on it at all. Lift kit is in the garage in boxes. Wanted to address this problem first before putting it on. Please help!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to verify, you checked your sway bar links to make sure they're bolted on tight? This is a common source for suspension rattle the way you have described.

If nothing else is identified, I'd suggest checking the wheel studs. I had a rattle/vibration for a while that I couldn't nail down. Turned out to be a cracked stud.

Rubicrush

Continued

Yup checked sway bar links look nice and tight. Didn't check wheel studs tho, never considered that. Have to take the wheels off this weekend and check it out. Thanks for the idea.

WJCO

Meme King
Check that the bolts that secure your steering box to the frame are tight. Also make sure none of your steering linkage is rubbing on anything else. Make sure tie and drag link adjustment sleeve bolts are tight, and last make sure track bar isn't rubbing on diff cover (unlikely based on when you said this occurs).

Rubicrush

Continued

Wow I didn't even consider that steering box could be loose. Prob cuzbits not that old, but I guess nothing is impossible, I'll check that too. Thanks for the input.

Rubicrush

Continued

I definitely hear it coming from the front somewhere, but the rattle or vibration I can also feel resonate up through the steering column and in the steering wheel. So now I think the input about the steering box may be headed in the right direction. Gotta check it out now.

WJCO

Meme King
Wow I didn't even consider that steering box could be loose. Prob cuzbits not that old, but I guess nothing is impossible, I'll check that too. Thanks for the input.

I definitely hear it coming from the front somewhere, but the rattle or vibration I can also feel resonate up through the steering column and in the steering wheel. So now I think the input about the steering box may be headed in the right direction. Gotta check it out now.

Happened on some of the older Jeeps. Not as common now but worth checking.

Top Bottom