Which brand clutch?

jcslax17

Does anyone have any recommendations on which brand of clutch I should go with. I'm replacing the engine on my 08 jku and since I'll have it that far apart I'm going to replacing the oem clutch. Should I go after market or just an oem kit? By the end of summer I'll be swapping in a dana 44 front and regearing for 35s or 37s but it is my daily driver. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated

Mikelang

I would steer clear from the SPEC brand clutches. I put one in my 08 JKUR and after 1,800 miles it blew apart in a million pieces. I was not happy. They have horrible customer service as well. I currently have a SPEC+2 now because they would not refund me my money and just send me a new one. The clutch pedal is very light and it grabs great but just have a gut feeling that it won't last long.

JeepJeep75

If your OEM clutch worked for you and never gave you any problems I'd stick with that. Or take your chances as Mikelang did.

jcslax17

I would steer clear from the SPEC brand clutches. I put one in my 08 JKUR and after 1,800 miles it blew apart in a million pieces. I was not happy. They have horrible customer service as well. I currently have a SPEC+2 now because they would not refund me my money and just send me a new one. The clutch pedal is very light and it grabs great but just have a gut feeling that it won't last long.

I was actually looking at the SPEC clutches after a coworker recommended them. What kinda mileage do you have on the second one?

JeepJeep75

So if I'm regearing accordingly I shouldn't have any issues out of an oem clutch?

That's correct sir. With a bigger tire, you need a bigger lever to turn it. The higher gear ratio (say going from 3.73 to 5.13) is your bigger lever. In the end you still go the same speed, just your tires are not turning as fast because they are bigger. I hope this makes some sort of sense. There are so many ways to try to explain this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just hit 100k on oem clutch, still going strong.

Yup, got well over 100k on our original clutch and it was still working great before doing a motor swap that replaced the transmission. Need I say, I'd stick with the OE clutch.

Heavyhaul07

If south bend clutch makes a clutch for a jk I'd use one of there's. I've had very good luck with there clutches in high hp diesels.

madstiles

I went with autozones "oem" but didn't regear have 3.73 and I hate it makes rattling noise fades when hot sometimes it's light other times normal. Has lifetime warranty so when it goes gonna exchange for new keep as backup and going to centerforce clutch flywheel and to bearing also regear

jknikos

Yup, got well over 100k on our original clutch and it was still working great before doing a motor swap that replaced the transmission. Need I say, I'd stick with the OE clutch.
I have 110000 miles and i am about to change clutch for the second time! I cant squeeze more than 60k from one! I think changing gears while i am in potholes or extended mud abuse has something to do with it... :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I will stick with the oem one though....

Mevman

If you try the Centerforce DualFriction Heavy Mass Flywheel and clutch you will never go back to OEM.
I put one in a year ago....amazing difference. This was in my '12 JK.

FLKEYSJK

If you try the Centerforce DualFriction Heavy Mass Flywheel and clutch you will never go back to OEM.
I put one in a year ago....amazing difference. This was in my '12 JK.

What did you like about that combo compared to stock?

Jeep2010

I went with a centerforce 2 and haven't had a problem with mine. My stock clutch lasted 110-120k. I just figured with upgrading axles, 4.88 gears, and bigger tires I should have a stronger clutch. I had no problems with my oem clutch just wanted to change. The centerforce is a bit more reliable I feel like but that's just my opinion. You could hear it a hundred different ways.

Kalums

So I know it's really not comparable, however I blew out 2 OEM clutches and throw out bearings with in 6 months of buying my 08 2 door... After the dealership figuring out that the Transmission center shaft was actually warped (that's what I was told, I'm not a transmission guy, so... I'm going to run with it) they replaced the trans and they agreed to install a centerforce kit for me at the same time. Personally it was night and day, OEM was good but I love the positive feedback and smooth grab of the centerforce. But again I went from messed up to the centerforce so.... *shrugs* just my 2 cents

Top Bottom