Running jk with no exhaust.

10abadilla/jk

So I took my exhaust off last night because I am thinking of getting the axel back flowmaster force II. Quite easy job so install should be just as easy. I also figured I'd see how it sounds with no exhaust. It sounds ok. More like a sports car then anything. My question is anyone running no exhaust permanently? And does anyone have the force II and how does that sound?

RUBEERCON

I ran down the street without mine and in my opinion it sounded terrible. For rock clearance issues I removed my muffler and had a shop install a 30" glass pack under the drivers side with factory tailpipe extended and dumped out high behind the drivers side rear tire. The muffler is installed backwards to make it quieter. It's a great system that's super cheap compared to cat back systems. The muffler was 35.00 and the shop installed it for 80.00. The sound is tolerable but nothing to get excited about.

My cousins flowmaster jk cat back system sounds good but he had several fitment issues. It didn't clear in a few areas so he had to go to a muffler shop to get a few things tweaked.

I recommend buying a flowmaster or Muffler of choice and have it installed under the drivers side area and have the factory tailpipe extended to desired area. Inexpensive and clears every obstacle.

Lots of Pentastar JK sound clips on YouTube.

TwistedJK

I'd have to agree, It's too annoying. I've had the muffler off on my jeep for 2 weeks now, but we only drive it on weekends. Having a Dynomax ultra flow welded on this afternoon.

Fridge81

I pulled my stock muffler off of mine and drove it like that for about 2 days. I ended getting a $35 magna flow glassed pack and installing it on the drivers side as mentioned above. I weld, so it was super cheap and sounds like any of the super over priced exhaust systems out there.

10abadilla/jk

The reason I'm interested in the axel back system is because it is pretty much a do it at home set up. No modifications needed. That being said I unbolted the stock "axel back" and it sounds ok. I was thinking of just running the exhaust pipe from where it unbolted straight out to the rear. No muffler. That might straighten out the sound a bit and direct the sound away from under the Jeep where it's at now.

Hammmerhead

I just have a small off brand turbo muffler thats flush with the frame and thats it. Mine still seems more quiet than the quiet crawler setup.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What kind of sports cars do you listen to? A JK without an exhaust is worse than a fixed out Honda with a screaming baby in the muffler.

Fridge81

What kind of sports cars do you listen to? A JK without an exhaust is worse than a fixed out Honda with a screaming baby in the muffler.

Hahaha! When I had no muffler at all on mine, my girlfriend was embarrassed to ride in it and said it sounded like one of those little race cars. I told her it didn't even sound THAT good! I wish we had the 4.0 straight 6. I love the way those sound.

10abadilla/jk

Most of you obviously don't know much about all sorts of cars. And second how does it feel to have to bag on some to make your selfs feel better. Haha some people are ridiculous. I asked a simple question question at the top of this page. Some answers have been interesting. Other seem very ignorant. I guess in every forum you'll have people who need to feel better.

10abadilla/jk

More information. I'm talking about the pentastar 3.6l motor. So I suggest if you haven't hear this motor without the muffler don't reply. You'll sound a bit out of your element.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
More information. I'm talking about the pentastar 3.6l motor. So I suggest if you haven't hear this motor without the muffler don't reply. You'll sound a bit out of your element.

I've done it. It sounds like complete shit. I would rather listen to Fran Drescher.

Fridge81

Most of you obviously don't know much about all sorts of cars. And second how does it feel to have to bag on some to make your selfs feel better. Haha some people are ridiculous. I asked a simple question question at the top of this page. Some answers have been interesting. Other seem very ignorant. I guess in every forum you'll have people who need to feel better.

Ummm, okay.....I will say this. All sorts of cars sound all sorts of different. Not sure who your remarks were directed at, but good luck finding the exhaust...

10abadilla/jk

Haha thank you. Looks like nobody here has the flowmaster force II. Its an axel back nice sounding system. I think I'll go with that one. Thanks for the help

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Settle down princess don't get your panties in a bunch! If you thought it sounded so good you wouldn't be asking for opinions.

I've done it and while I was amazed how quiet it was below about 3000rpm, it was loud and obnoxious above that point. So yeah, I'm with overlander on this one it sounds like shit!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If you go with any Flowmaster muffler, you do not want the 40 or 50 series muffler, whichever comes in the Force II. You want the Super 44 muffler. It is the most mellow sounding they make, and does not sound like a straight piped Geo Metro above 3k rpm.

If you want stupid and obnoxious, go with the Magnafow 17143 offroad exhaust. It is IMO worse than running no muffler on the 3.6, which I didn't think was even possible. It's stupid loud, and raspy, and sounds like a straight piped Geo Metro above 3k rpm. When I get home from work on my next rotation, I'm swapping out the round Magnaflow muffler for something much quieter. Then I'll at least be able to hear the Mud Grapplers again.

Last edited:

swampdog

If you go with any Flowmaster muffler, you do not want the 40 or 50 series muffler, whichever comes in the Force II. You want the Super 44 muffler. It is the most mellow sounding they make, and does not sound like a straight piped Geo Metro above 3k rpm.

If you want stupid and obnoxious, go with the Magnafow 17143 offroad exhaust. It is IMO worse than running no muffler on the 3.6, which I didn't think was even possible. It's stupid loud, and raspy, and sounds like a straight piped Geo Metro above 3k rpm. When I get home from work on my next rotation, I'm swapping out the round Magnaflow muffler for something much quieter. Then I'll at least be able to hear the Mud Grapplers again.

...which is one of the main perks of the mud graps

WJCO

Meme King

If you're happy with the sound then leave it. That was easy.

Mevman

I ran with the muffler removed axle back for a while. Sounds okay...but those long returns from the woods in a soft top on the highway for 3 hours was a little too much. The droning sound at highway speed was annoying even with the resonator still in place.
I went with a high clearance AFE axle back and couldn't be happier. A little more tone and good sound with raising RPM (I have a 6spd).
It tucks up high and can't really be seen from the rear. Off road clearance is greatly improved.

Top Bottom