First time off road, I love it. and also have some question about lift kits choice.

Bluetango

Hi guys, it is my fist time drive my jk try some off road. I love this feeling. The 4L is amazing. Now, I only changed my wheel and tires, 17X8 steel wheel and 285 70 R17 mt, no lift.

I found the travel are short, i thought i need some lift solution. I have two ideas,

One, TF BB 2.5 lift kits with shock adapter, and front control are geometry bracket, plus rear track bar bracket, may be front adjustable track bar / track bar bracket and high steering drag link( i don't know i need or not for drag link and front track bar, some one said if change need change both together.) And later when I save money I replace the real good shock and coils.

The other, AEV 2.5 LIFT KITS, plus geometry bracket. it is real shock and coils. May be I can choose some synergy and tf kits mixed solution but I could not have the fox shock at my budget.

My goal is upgrade my jeep step by step, and try do not replace everything once upgrade. So I come here to seek experience advice which way is the good way to build jeep long program. IF i should did once and everything, I cannot afford that price.

I do not have much option for package kits in my place, I am in Australia.

Please give me some advice. I want to keep upgrade jeep but at mean time I can do off road as well.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If you're only going 2" or 2.5" just do springs, shocks, bumpstops and extend your brake lines/abs wiring. The best coils you can get local are flexy coils from Murchison or suspension stuff. Match them with a set of rancho 7000s or 9000XLs from RockAuto. Should be all set for under a grand.

Just don't go over 25" ext front shocks unless you want to change your front driveshaft as well

WJCO

Meme King
Figure out what tire size you want to go with up the road first. That will also determine you mods list.

Bluetango

Looking at the pics, I was kind of wondering the same thing.

Agreed. You should build around what tire size you hope to run.

For now, I think I am running the current set 285 70 r17. Maybe after these set gone, I change to 295 70 R17 or 305 65 R17.

So from these tire sizes, what do you recommend about lift kits?

oh, I do not have disconnect swaybar link. I worried my no lift and 285 tire size will rubbing at the full top travel point, so I wont put the disconnect swaybar link until I upgrade lift kits.

Last edited:

mastrcruse

no, my jk is sports, so do not have disconnect swaybar.

I have a sport also and disconnect the front sway bar. You just don't have a button that'll do it for you. A few options, look into quick disconnects for your current setup (probably the cheapest option) or find a blown rubi front disconnect/sway bar and put evo's turn handle on it. Once you do, you'll see actually how much more you'll be able to flex.

Bluetango

If you're only going 2" or 2.5" just do springs, shocks, bumpstops and extend your brake lines/abs wiring. The best coils you can get local are flexy coils from Murchison or suspension stuff. Match them with a set of rancho 7000s or 9000XLs from RockAuto. Should be all set for under a grand.

Just don't go over 25" ext front shocks unless you want to change your front driveshaft as well

flexy coils is king coil? I only found king coil in Murchison online shop. And are rancho 7000 or 9000xls better then the bilstein 5100 and fox evo? All these shocks I haven't experience. If you used some before, could you describe some? thx

Bluetango

I have a sport also and disconnect the front sway bar. You just don't have a button that'll do it for you. A few options, look into quick disconnects for your current setup (probably the cheapest option) or find a blown rubi front disconnect/sway bar and put evo's turn handle on it. Once you do, you'll see actually how much more you'll be able to flex.

I running 285 70 R17, and no lift. If I disconnect the front sway bar, does that have enough room for tire up travel?

secondly, quick disconnects and blown rubi front disconnect add evo turn handle, which is easier after off road and re-connect the sway bar?

Ausjeep113

You can still disconnect you front sway at by removing the bolts from the bottom of the links.
Suspension stuff doesn't make the flexy coil anymore but Murchison used to buy them and then rebrand them as his own so he might still have some in stock. [emoji106]🏻

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
flexy coils is king coil? I only found king coil in Murchison online shop. And are rancho 7000 or 9000xls better then the bilstein 5100 and fox evo? All these shocks I haven't experience. If you used some before, could you describe some? thx

As ausjeep said i'm not sure if Suspension stuff are still selling them as i've heard the same but they are still on their website, but here's a link for Murchinson.
http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/crdstu-jk-front-coils
He is definitely still selling them under his CRDSTU line of suspension parts. they are probably made by King under licence as they are about the only coil spring manufacturer in Aus.

As for shocks the 7000s are a monotube like the bilsteins and fox 2.0 where as the 9000XLs are an older style twin tube adjustable shock. I went with the rancho 9000s because i had good experience with them in my WJ and i was able to get the delivered for under AU$500.

Ausjeep113

As ausjeep said i'm not sure if Suspension stuff are still selling them as i've heard the same but they are still on their website, but here's a link for Murchinson.
http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/shop/crdstu-jk-front-coils
He is definitely still selling them under his CRDSTU line of suspension parts. they are probably made by King under licence as they are about the only coil spring manufacturer in Aus.

As for shocks the 7000s are a monotube like the bilsteins and fox 2.0 where as the 9000XLs are an older style twin tube adjustable shock. I went with the rancho 9000s because i had good experience with them in my WJ and i was able to get the delivered for under AU$500.

Yeah Stu still has them but I tried to get a set through suspension stuff and they have just been bought out by another company and decided to discontinue them. They said Stu is the only guy that would have any left. From everything I've heard though they are a really good spring and great value for the money, I was looking at a set for mine and still might get some. If you wanna get good cheap shocks go with 2nd gunman and get the 9000's I had them on my old Xj and they are really good bang for your buck shocks.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
First time off road, I love it. and also have some question about lift kits c...

I running 285 70 R17, and no lift. If I disconnect the front sway bar, does that have enough room for tire up travel?

secondly, quick disconnects and blown rubi front disconnect add evo turn handle, which is easier after off road and re-connect the sway bar?

I was running 285 70 17s on my 2013 2 door and I would run the fender flares when disconnected. I installed TF leveling kit and extended the front bumpstop I think like 1" and I had no more rubbing. You can also solve the rubbing by trimming your fenders up a little. I used JKS quicker disconnects and they worked fine for me.

On a side note, what wheels are those? I'm digging the look of those!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464099362.387217.jpg

Napalm

I was running 285 70 17s on my 2013 2 door and I would run the fender flares when disconnected. I installed TF leveling kit and extended the front bumpstop I think like 1" and I had no more rubbing. You can also solve the rubbing by trimming your fenders up a little. I used JKS quicker disconnects and they worked fine for me.

On a side note, what wheels are those? I'm digging the look of those!

View attachment 204781

Do those equal out to about a 33"? Considering this size.

Top Bottom