Caster question, lower control arm drop brackets? The

JKHunter817

I recently had all new tie rods and ball joints installed and the jeep still has a flighty feel on the highway even at 65 mph with some bump steer feeling when I hit uneven roads and bumps. I have an adjustable track bar with no drag link flip and a 3.5" lift. Should I install the RE drop brackets? Not much money for adjustable control arms at the time. Here's a print out of my alignment. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464140464.176255.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I recently had all new tie rods and ball joints installed and the jeep still has a flighty feel on the highway even at 65 mph with some bump steer feeling when I hit uneven roads and bumps. I have an adjustable track bar with no drag link flip and a 3.5" lift. Should I install the RE drop brackets? Not much money for adjustable control arms at the time. Here's a print out of my alignment.

Looks like you have 2° too little caster. That will not be helping you any especially at highway speeds. Drop brackets will help a bit but really, I'd just bear with it a bit longer, save up a bit more and then get adjustable front lower arms. Use them to dial in your caster. Drop brackets will help some but it kills me to think that you just paid all that money to get your Jeep up 3.5" only to purposefully lower your control arm mounts 2" lower again - a point that gets hit all the time on the trail as it is.

A drag link flip and front track bar relocation bracket will help with handling too.

JKHunter817

Looks like you have 2° too little caster. That will not be helping you any especially at highway speeds. Drop brackets will help a bit but really, I'd just bear with it a bit longer, save up a bit more and then get adjustable front lower arms. Use them to dial in your caster. Drop brackets will help some but it kills me to think that you just paid all that money to get your Jeep up 3.5" only to purposefully lower your control arm mounts 2" lower again - a point that gets hit all the time on the trail as it is.

A drag link flip and front track bar relocation bracket will help with handling too.

sounds like a good start, I was given the drop brackets from a friend they are still new I guess I could just sell them. Would I need to start with the lower control arms? Or do I have to get the uppers and lowers to dial the caster in? Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like a good start, I was given the drop brackets from a friend they are still new I guess I could just sell them. Would I need to start with the lower control arms? Or do I have to get the uppers and lowers to dial the caster in? Thanks!

If you have the brackets already, I suppose you could just use them as they will help. As far as arms go, it's ideal to have front upper and lowers but if you're on a budget, you can get by with just one or the other. Uppers are cheaper but they take a bit more effort to install. Lowers will cost more but they are way easy to install and adjust. Also, new lowers will be stronger.

JKHunter817

If you have the brackets already, I suppose you could just use them as they will help. As far as arms go, it's ideal to have front upper and lowers but if you're on a budget, you can get by with just one or the other. Uppers are cheaper but they take a bit more effort to install. Lowers will cost more but they are way easy to install and adjust. Also, new lowers will be stronger.

I appreciate the help, looks like I'll be getting control arms next! I am also running 33-35 psi on my 35" dynapro mt, I have been reading they may need lower than that but not sure.

WJCO

Meme King
Also, with drop brackets, it's one more component that can loosen up. The control arm mounting location is under a lot of force.

JKHunter817

Sitting at 30psi and what a difference! Still a little play in the wheel and minimal bump steer but it made a huge difference, now I can drive safer until I get my control arms etc haha

Top Bottom