Changing lift kits...

Instigator

Right now I'm running a 3.5" MetalCloak Game Changer with Fox shocks.

I will be ordering a PR44 in a couple of weeks and I'm wanting to swap out the MC lift for something, well better. After the PR44 and some other parts(rocker armor, rock rails, rear armor and tire carrier), my budget will only handle the EVO bolt-on coilover(front and rear) or the EVO Long arm kit. Which one to go with first? Or is there another path to get to into a longarm kit with coilovers that I'm missing?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
If you don't mind me asking, what are your complaints with the metalcloak? I know there are a lot of "metal joke" haters out there, but have you had any actual problems? The only reason I ask is because I am running the same lift and would like to know if there is anything I should watch out for. So far I'm happy (knock on wood) and before the accusations start flying..... No I do not work for metalcloak, and I don't take offense or care what people think about what I choose to spend my money on.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

I will be ordering a PR44 in a couple of weeks and I'm wanting to swap out the MC lift for something, well better. After the PR44 and some other parts(rocker armor, rock rails, rear armor and tire carrier), my budget will only handle the EVO bolt-on coilover(front and rear) or the EVO Long arm kit. Which one to go with first? Or is there another path to get to into a longarm kit with coilovers that I'm missing?

I would get the coil overs before the long arms. Just my 2 cents.

Coilovers or long arms. What an awesome predicament to find yourself in. Given you have the MC game changer already, I'd go with the coikovers already. MC makes a really nice kit, you should be good rocking that while you budget for the long arms later.

Instigator

The lift is a couple of years old, it is starting to feel loose. Plus it's time for an upgrade, figured it's time to step things up.

Instigator

Coilovers or long arms. What an awesome predicament to find yourself in. Given you have the MC game changer already, I'd go with the coikovers already. MC makes a really nice kit, you should be good rocking that while you budget for the long arms later.

Haha, I guess so. I've been using my company's employee stock purchase plan as my Jeep savings account.

Well Mel ran just coilovers and front lower control arms on the EVO lander. So I don't think you'll need long arms just et!

Instigator

If you don't mind me asking, what are your complaints with the metalcloak? I know there are a lot of "metal joke" haters out there, but have you had any actual problems? The only reason I ask is because I am running the same lift and would like to know if there is anything I should watch out for. So far I'm happy (knock on wood) and before the accusations start flying..... No I do not work for metalcloak, and I don't take offense or care what people think about what I choose to spend my money on.

For the first year I did not have a single issue, it was not until last year that I started chasing a wondering issue on the front axle. After months of checking the alignment at different shops it came down to the trackbar bushings. That's why they have a new bushing design for them now. They did give me replacement bushings, but now I have to find a shop to press them in or go get my own press.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
For the first year I did not have a single issue, it was not until last year that I started chasing a wondering issue on the front axle. After months of checking the alignment at different shops it came down to the trackbar bushings. That's why they have a new bushing design for them now. They did give me replacement bushings, but now I have to find a shop to press them in or go get my own press.

Cool thanks. I will have to keep an eye on that. I think I have the updated track bar though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Without question, I would run the coil overs. Long arms are nice to have as they'll do a great job of correcting your suspension geometry but far from needed and you won't see any real benefit when it comes to flex. I read where you said you wanted to flip what you have and if that's the case, you'll be fine with factory arms but you'll need adjustable front lower arms to set your caster and if you're running an aftermarket rear drive shaft, you'll need adjustable rear uppers to set your pinion angle.

Instigator

Thanks Eddie. I do have an aftermarket front driveshaft, still running stock on the rear. I'm looking at the Currie control arms for the front lowers and rear uppers.

Anything else y'all can think of that I should include with the coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I do have an aftermarket front driveshaft, still running stock on the rear. I'm looking at the Currie control arms for the front lowers and rear uppers.

Anything else y'all can think of that I should include with the coilovers?

Currie arms are real nice but you won't need rear uppers UNLESS you get a new u-joint style drive shaft in the rear.

If you're selling your current sway bar links with the kit you have now, you will need to get new longer links as well.

Instigator

Currie arms are real nice but you won't need rear uppers UNLESS you get a new u-joint style drive shaft in the rear.

If you're selling your current sway bar links with the kit you have now, you will need to get new longer links as well.

From what it says on EVO's website they recommend an aftermarket driveshaft, so I was planning on one. I might keep the sway bar links I actually like them, but it looks like the coilover kit comes with some.

I'm looking at the Enforcer Pro stage 1 kit.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
From what it says on EVO's website they recommend an aftermarket driveshaft, so I was planning on one. I might keep the sway bar links I actually like them, but it looks like the coilover kit comes with some.

I'm looking at the Enforcer Pro stage 1 kit.

Being you have a 15 auto, I'd say a front wouldn't hurt.

Top Bottom