Torne Front driveline rubber boot

I have a '13 JK and recently tore the front driveline rubber boot. Is this something I should be replace right away? How much would a mechanic charge to do the work. I think a new boot is only like $12.00.

I have a '13 JK and recently tore the front driveline rubber boot. Is this something I should be replace right away? How much would a mechanic charge to do the work. I think a new boot is only like $12.00.

Sorry about your boot. What size lift do you have? If you're 3.5" or more, you may want to think about purchasing an aftermarket driveshaft like JE Reel or Adams. In the meantime, I have seen people on the forum say they've run with a tore boot temporarily just fine. I'm not sure on labor costs though.

swampdog

I've ran mine for 5 months with a tore boot and no issues, but I did just remove it yesterday and ordered a new Adams driveshaft.

Yah, I have a 3.5" lift and that's why I'm getting nervous, as I have a feeling the dollars are going to start adding up quickly.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

According to the dealer, the boot is not sold separately. So if you going OEM, that is a brand new front drive shaft. At least, that was the line they were feeding me. I went with JE Reel as part of my build anyways, so no biggie to me. I have a free one without the boot if you want it, you pay shipping.

WJCO

Meme King
With that size lift though, I believe replacing the shaft with oem and you will run into the same issue again and again. I could be wrong though, but I thought anything over 2.5 will continue to cause that issue.

Yah, I have a 3.5" lift and that's why I'm getting nervous, as I have a feeling the dollars are going to start adding up quickly.

If you have the money, just replace the front ds with a je reel. Maybe $800 or so. But you'll spend more than that continually tearing your factory shaft boot and having to pay labor on the fixes every time.

DKjeep

Teraflex high angle rzeppa joint for 145 at Northridge and maybe an hour of labor. You can't buy the oem boot by itself and the teraflex comes with a new one and a housing that allows the higher angle.

WJCO

Meme King
Teraflex high angle rzeppa joint for 145 at Northridge and maybe an hour of labor. You can't buy the oem boot by itself and the teraflex comes with a new one and a housing that allows the higher angle.

Just curious how long you've been running this thing?

swampdog

If you have the money, just replace the front ds with a je reel. Maybe $800 or so. But you'll spend more than that continually tearing your factory shaft boot and having to pay labor on the fixes every time.

If he is only going 37s and isn't an animal, he can get a non-greaseable (stronger than greasable) 1310 front drive shaft for $420 delivered.

DKjeep

If he is only going 37s and isn't an animal, he can get a non-greaseable (stronger than greasable) 1310 front drive shaft for $420 delivered.

1310 joint isn't even as strong as the stock rzeppa. The rest if the shaft may be but not the joint.

swampdog

1310 joint isn't even as strong as the stock rzeppa. The rest if the shaft may be but not the joint.

But a 1310 u-joint style operates at a higher angle much better than the stock shaft will, which is his problem (3.5" lift)...another stock shaft helps in no way, it just kicks the can a couple of months. It his profile says he is running a 33" tire, so a 1350 would be silly.

DKjeep

But a 1310 u-joint style operates at a higher angle much better than the stock shaft will, which is his problem (3.5" lift)...another stock shaft helps in no way, it just kicks the can a couple of months. It his profile says he is running a 33" tire, so a 1350 would be silly.

I agree with that but have you ever heard or seen a stock joint fail because the angle was too severe? I have never heard of the stock rzeppa joint failing due to excessive angle but I have heard of the boot failing countless times and the part that I mentioned addresses that issue. I will tell you what I hear about quite frequently is 1310 style driveshafts being a royal pain in the ass to deal with as far as vibrations and having to sacrifice drivability in the form of caster. Vibrations that will cause your transfer case to literally grenade spewing hot trans fluid all over the exhaust and catching fire. This issue really pokes it head out with high numeric gear ratios like 4.88 and up. I would say that half of the people that I know that have bought all the high end 1310 driveshafts have had vibe issues including myself. I sold them off at a loss and bought a set of these and its been perfect since.

swampdog

How do you think this is going to turn out when he disconnects with 3.5" of lift and the front goes to full droop???? That cheap little joint is going to puke it's grease guts all over the underside and fail soon after.

Rocralr

Hi. I replaced both of my drive shafts on my 2015 JKU. The front one is perfect. I have seen boots for sale but I don't want to get in any trouble. If you can't find any PM me and we can talk about it.

DKjeep

How do you think this is going to turn out when he disconnects with 3.5" of lift and the front goes to full droop???? That cheap little joint is going to puke it's grease guts all over the underside and fail soon after.

I keep asking and nobody can answer me.... how many joints have you seen failed due to high angle? Also did you even look at the product? It has a redesigned boot and the area around the boot is made to accommodate the extra angle without destroying the boot.

swampdog

I keep asking and nobody can answer me.... how many joints have you seen failed due to high angle? Also did you even look at the product? It has a redesigned boot and the area around the boot is made to accommodate the extra angle without destroying the boot.

Not going to lie here, personally, zero, but you have to use some sense here. Is there a reason that any reputable builder or seasoned off roader runs a u-joint style shaft and not a teraflex rzeppa joint? Of course, it's a superior product and a legitimate fix for a problem, not a cheap Chinese bandaid.

DKjeep

Not going to lie here, personally, zero, but you have to use some sense here. Is there a reason that any reputable builder or seasoned off roader runs a u-joint style shaft and not a teraflex rzeppa joint? Of course, it's a superior product and a legitimate fix for a problem, not a cheap Chinese bandaid.

I don't know, for hardcore offroaders it's probably better to get a 1310 or better style shaft. For daily drivers and light wheeled jeeps I wouldn't get anything else.

Top Bottom