Before or After

Desert Crawler

So I am running the Rubicon in about a month in my `14 JKUR on 37's. I have little free time due to being swamped with work, doing some other work on the Jeep, and other obligations. The rig currently has stock balljoints and a stock straight tierod with most other suspension/steering items already replaced. In my garage is a new set of new ball joints and a new super beefy aftermarket tie rod. If you were in my situation would you wheel it the way it is and take any damage out on the stock parts before swapping them out, or make time to change the ball joints and tie rod before the trip to decrease chance of trail failure? :question:

JeepJeep75

The ball joints aren't gonna blow-up and leave you stranded. The tie rod will be fine too. Wheel it as is and replace those parts when they need to be.

Desert Crawler

The ball joints aren't gonna blow-up and leave you stranded. The tie rod will be fine too. Wheel it as is and replace those parts when they need to be.

That was my thought.

Going to concentrate my effort into other areas and replace those things after the trip.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'd replace the stock tie rod. First rock it sees and you'll have some serious alignment issues.

Hmm that's news to me. I've been running stock tie rods for 65k+ miles and haven't had "serious alignment issues." You can adjust the toe easily if you bend the tie rod and it's pretty easy with a shop press to bend it back.

Here is a picture of my bent tie rod after one run. Drove it 120 miles home. You can even see the drag link is far from straight.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467377418.323385.jpg

People like you are the reason shitty information is spread on the Internet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I am running the Rubicon in about a month in my `14 JKUR on 37's. I have little free time due to being swamped with work, doing some other work on the Jeep, and other obligations. The rig currently has stock balljoints and a stock straight tierod with most other suspension/steering items already replaced. In my garage is a new set of new ball joints and a new super beefy aftermarket tie rod. If you were in my situation would you wheel it the way it is and take any damage out on the stock parts before swapping them out, or make time to change the ball joints and tie rod before the trip to decrease chance of trail failure? :question:

As others have mentioned, I'd just wait till you have more time on your hands and for the reasons stated. You should be fine.

geberhard

Douchebag
If you are tight for time, bring the steering parts with you on the trail. I personally would upgrade the steering since you already have it, and planning to upgrade anyway.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hmm that's news to me. I've been running stock tie rods for 65k+ miles and haven't had "serious alignment issues." You can adjust the toe easily if you bend the tie rod and it's pretty easy with a shop press to bend it back.

Here is a picture of my bent tie rod after one run. Drove it 120 miles home. You can even see the drag link is far from straight.

View attachment 210587

and what others have said go enjoy and take care of it later, worst thing to do is rush to swap parts and make a mistake.

the 1st time i bent my tie rod on the trail i thought i was screwed but luckily someone on the trail knew better, we reset the toe and finished out the day. steering wasn't the same but it got the job done until we got back and put the press on it.

have upgraded since but good knowledge to have :beer:

lonewolf

OverlanderJK said:
Hmm that's news to me. I've been running stock tie rods for 65k+ miles and haven't had "serious alignment issues."

I think I was clear enough about hitting them on a rock.

You can adjust the toe easily if you bend the tie rod and it's pretty easy with a shop press to bend it back.

Unless you bring a shop press with you or you like doing trail repairs, by all means do not replace your stock tie rod.

I drove back for miles on a broken axle tube. But I'd rather not have this happen at all, as well as not get my tires chewed up.

You seem to know a lot, with so many avoidable trail repairs under your belt.

TennJK

Unless you bring a shop press with you or you like doing trail repairs, by all means do not replace your stock tie rod.

I drove back for miles on a broken axle tube. But I'd rather not have this happen at all, as well as not get my tires chewed up.

Someone has a crush on Overlander...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You seem to not know anything. It's pretty evident. Maybe you should learn how to tell if a unit bearing is bad before you started being the God of off-roading and telling people what parts suck and what parts don't.

Top Bottom