Finally got my jeep home

Littlewolf

Bought jeep on June 16 , got time off this week to get her and bring her home . On the way home hit 3 rough patches of road and got 3 cases of dw to boot , so she goes in garage in the morning and will start pulling bolts and checking for egg shaped holes and then retorqueing everything . Question is should I just go ahead replace all bushing while I am at , she has 95000 miles her . Opinions?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Bought jeep on June 16 , got time off this week to get her and bring her home . On the way home hit 3 rough patches of road and got 3 cases of dw to boot , so she goes in garage in the morning and will start pulling bolts and checking for egg shaped holes and then retorqueing everything . Question is should I just go ahead replace all bushing while I am at , she has 95000 miles her . Opinions?

Welcome to WAL! Excuse my ignorance, but what's "dw"? As for your bushings, I would only replace them if needed.

WJCO

Meme King
At 100k it's not a bad idea, but not necessarily necessary. I bet it's related to a track bar issue, ball joint or steering component. Any recent repairs on the Jeep? DW sucks big floppy donkey dick.

Littlewolf

At 100k it's not a bad idea, but not necessarily necessary. I bet it's related to a track bar issue, ball joint or steering component. Any recent repairs on the Jeep? DW sucks big floppy donkey dick.
Not sure about repairs was a trade in a new one .

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure about repairs was a trade in a new one .

Just have a friend cycle the steering and try to identify be the bad component. Ball joints require a jack to check them accurately. I'm sure it will appear for you. Any movement, even .060 is enough to cause DW.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I've had death wobble on both on my Jeeps , it was bad balljoints both times. But check track bar torque and look for worn/ oblong bolt holes. That's the easy and cheapest thing first.

Littlewolf

She broke this morning , it seems to be in the steering gear box , will know more later after i ger her towed back to the house .

Littlewolf

Did it break during death wobble? Or did death wobble break your gear box?
good freaking question , I think it broke during dw, broke all but one of the four gear box mounting bolts . Now I get to try and track down a new one to replace the dang thing . Anyone got a good lead on a stock gear box .:mad:

Littlewolf

good freaking question , I think it broke during dw, broke all but one of the four gear box mounting bolts . Now I get to try and track down a new one to replace the dang thing . Anyone got a good lead on a stock gear box .:mad:
Sorry meant mounting tabs all but one broke .

WJCO

Meme King

Take some pics of what you got going on. How many miles on your Jeep? Are the holes in the frame elongated as if the bolts were loose for awhile prior to the final breaking point?

Littlewolf

Take some pics of what you got going on. How many miles on your Jeep? Are the holes in the frame elongated as if the bolts were loose for awhile prior to the final breaking point?
Not warranty it's a 2010 holes in frame look fine not elongated, just snapped the casting tabs off the box and broke one bolt , was thinking about welding but not sure if it would be strong enough to hold it .

WJCO

Meme King
Not warranty it's a 2010 holes in frame look fine not elongated, just snapped the casting tabs off the box and broke one bolt , was thinking about welding but not sure if it would be strong enough to hold it .

I would not weld cast iron, especially on a steering box. Not safe. Hope you find the cause of it all.

JKbrick

I wouldn't weld it either honestly. Not sure how to search this but I believe the older jk's had a Delphi gear box that is "better" than the newer ones? Just seems like I read something about this here a year or two ago

Littlewolf

Got a reman gear box installing in the am , then drive and see if it was causing dw before I start tightening every thing else up , I want to know what caused it to start with .

Top Bottom