Stumped and need some thoughts

HardRock87

Stumped and need some thoughts *SOLVED*

***SOLVED*** I will be getting the Firestik Molded side mount and mount it to the back of my license plate.

So I mounted my 4 foot Firestik on my 3rd brake light with the Firestik heavy duty spring. I love the location of it, and it has plenty of clearance from obstructions, but it's that clearance that is giving me an issue. The antenna is about 1.5 feet too tall for my garage. With the soft top down I can tie it down in the rear center roll bar. When the top is up is what is giving me issues. This is where your great minds come in. I need to find a way to tie it down. As always, thanks for the thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

IMG_1679.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg
IMG_1681.jpg

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Remove the spring. That is what I did. Problem solved.

And then just unscrew it when you need to park it in the garage or something. I remember hearing that big whacking sound when it hits the hard top, but used a tennis ball.

HardRock87

Remove the spring. That is what I did. Problem solved.

And then just unscrew it when you need to park it in the garage or something. I remember hearing that big whacking sound when it hits the hard top, but used a tennis ball.

My goal is to have it on all the time, and the spring is to protect it from trees, and low clearance objects, and the spring is currently protecting the end of my cb cable.

Kyle7R

I looked into that, but there isn't a way to protect it from someone just coming along and just twisting the antenna off and leaving with it. My plan is to use tighten it with so much torque that tools are needed to take it off.

I run a QD and never have given a second thought to somebody stealing my antenna. Most people don't even know wtf it is, let alone think to steal it.

HardRock87

You want to keep it mounted here, and have it fit in the garage, correct?

Correct if possible. I mean if I absolutely have to. I can move it to one side, and then bend it over to the other side of the bumper and I can make something that I will hold it.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I just unscrew mine when I park in the garage. I only use the CB on trails so that's the only time I put it on. The spring doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose being wedged in between the top and the spare tire as it will only flex until it hits one or the other.

HardRock87

I just unscrew mine when I park in the garage. I only use the CB on trails so that's the only time I put it on. The spring doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose being wedged in between the top and the spare tire as it will only flex until it hits one or the other.

We tested it, and when pulled back the spring allows it to move left or right and the antenna glides on the top of the brake light and then down past it.

caminton

I would suggest getting some "string" for lack of a better term (fishing line, twine, wire...you get the gist) and just tie the antenna down to one side, connecting the "string" to one of the tow hooks. That's the only thing that comes to mind.

GraniteCrystal

Here is my experience. I got a CB. I put a red firestik antenna on my Jeep. It looks awesome. Total street cred. But after a while of (a) worrying I'm hitting stuff when I drive, pull in parking garages etc, (b) having to remove it if I want to close the gate but leave the hardtop open for the dog, and (c) realizing that the only time I pick up chatter is on the trails with friends I just removed it from the quick disconnect and keep it stored right behind the rear seat, under the mat.

HardRock87

I would suggest getting some "string" for lack of a better term (fishing line, twine, wire...you get the gist) and just tie the antenna down to one side, connecting the "string" to one of the tow hooks. That's the only thing that comes to mind.

Yeah I never thought about that. I can create something in red to match the tow hooks and antenna, wonder how that would look. My thinking about keeping it on the 3rd brake light is because of how the cable is ran. I couldn't find a way to run the cable to the front without either running it underneath the vehicle and coming through the front drain holes or drilling.

HardRock87

Here is my experience. I got a CB. I put a red firestik antenna on my Jeep. It looks awesome. Total street cred. But after a while of (a) worrying I'm hitting stuff when I drive, pull in parking garages etc, (b) having to remove it if I want to close the gate but leave the hardtop open for the dog, and (c) realizing that the only time I pick up chatter is on the trails with friends I just removed it from the quick disconnect and keep it stored right behind the rear seat, under the mat.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm considering the disconnect. If no one really has had any issues with theft than I have no issues putting one on.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
My goal is to have it on all the time, and the spring is to protect it from trees, and low clearance objects, and the spring is currently protecting the end of my cb cable.

I have a 5 foot antenna and have never had trouble with trees and such. It id only slightly lower than where your mount is.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468874543.855903.jpg

OhNoTheJiggies

Friend of mine attached a little hook onto his drivers side taillight, using one of the stock screws. He keeps a 2 foot piece of 550 cord in the glove to tie it down to the hook when needed. I don't know if that's something that interests you.
Also, do you get good reception with your antenna there? I got the mount that attaches to two of the tire carrier bolts and have read that it causes interference... being between the tire and the body back there. I haven't hooked mine up yet though.

HardRock87

Friend of mine attached a little hook onto his drivers side taillight, using one of the stock screws. He keeps a 2 foot piece of 550 cord in the glove to tie it down to the hook when needed. I don't know if that's something that interests you.
Also, do you get good reception with your antenna there? I got the mount that attaches to two of the tire carrier bolts and have read that it causes interference... being between the tire and the body back there. I haven't hooked mine up yet though.

If I change my mounting location to the left or right side. I can make a cord to attach to the antenna and pull it over, but being 4 feet and in the center. it is still too long for that. For reception, it seems to work for me, but I rarely go onto trails with my sides and top on so that helps. I'm probably just going to get a quick disconnect and just keep it in my garage.

HardRock87

I've seen some mount it to the back of their license plate holder. Is that a strong mounting location? Would being that low hinder the reception at all? I'm considering going with the Firestik molded side mount

IMG00097.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom