JKU Ratios - advice please

wheelie

Ok, so the plan was to change the current 4.1 ratios on my 2011 Rubicon Unlimited to 5.38 ratios so that I can upgrade to 35” or even 37” tyres in future (from the current 33’s) and still be able to tow my offroad trailer with ease. The trailer is quite heavy (about 1.2 tons fully loaded) and currently, with the standard ratios, I cannot use the overdrive when towing. The other three gears are just too long for towing such a trailer.

The plan is to re-gear so that the gears are “shorter” and to enable me to use the overdrive as well when towing. With the type of offroading that I do, I don’t really need 37’s, 35’s will do just fine.

After reading about the weaknesses of the 5.38 ratios, I am thinking of changing now to 4.88 ratios. I understand it is a much stronger gear and I am hoping that it will give me the performance that I need with 35’s.

Can you guys give me your opinions please? Keep in mind that our open road speed is 120km/h (75mph).

Also, is it good for the gearbox to tow with the overdrive or should I rather just use 1-3?

I have the G2 5.38 ratios currently and will most probably swap them for G2 4.88 again. Is the G2 option a good option or what do you guys recommend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You should be fine running a 5.13 gear and it's what I would recommend for your purposes.

Top Bottom