JK rear 44 axle shafts

metalic

I'm running 30 spline Ten Factory with ARB. I'm twisting splines constantly. Attached pic is 1 trip out on a warrantied shaft. I'm debating selling my locker and going 35 spline ARB and shafts. Would 35s hold up? I've never seen them in person and wondered how they compare to a 35 d60 shaft

Attachments

• 1469329384774.jpg
    1469329384774.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 239

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was running stock shafts for a long time with my arb and now revolution shafts and haven't twisted any of the 30 splines. I think it's just a bad shaft from ten. Maybe they will warranty it?

metalic

I was running stock shafts for a long time with my arb and now revolution shafts and haven't twisted any of the 30 splines. I think it's just a bad shaft from ten. Maybe they will warranty it?

This one and the one on the other side makes 4 I've twisted and I've broke one. They'll warranty but not sure how many more they'll send me

qwasin

Maybe try a US made shaft like Revolution. Also not to rub salt in a wound and be a monday morning quarterback but damn, you went for an ARB and didn't do 35 spline?

metalic

Maybe try a US made shaft like Revolution. Also not to rub salt in a wound and be a monday morning quarterback but damn, you went for an ARB and didn't do 35 spline?

I went with tens as everything I read was great and had best warranty. (Only company to warranty flange) went 30 as well based on the ability to run factory for a spare. Regret the move now. Debating if I should sell current locker and go 35 or if I should skip it and go D60

qwasin

I went with tens as everything I read was great and had best warranty. (Only company to warranty flange) went 30 as well based on the ability to run factory for a spare. Regret the move now. Debating if I should sell current locker and go 35 or if I should skip it and go D60

Yea I wish jeep forums (not this one in particular, just in general) would stop with the whole "keep the spline count the same so you can use your stock as a spare" thing, I mean is $300 extra for a spare 35 spline really that big of a deal when spending $2k+ on your axle?

Now as far as the dana 60, I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but I don't feel like a semi float high pinion prorock 60 is significantly better than a 35 spline dana 44. You still have 35 spline shafts and you still have SF flanges. And yea the ring gear and pinion are slightly larger but you're also running on the coast side with a HP so the difference in strength might not be as big as you think. Yea the housing is significantly stronger but how often does the rear d44 housing prove to be the weak link in the system... Most of the time it's flanges, sometimes its shafts, once in a while it's the r&p, and then rarely you see the dude with the "friday" axle who spun the tubes.

So if you are looking at D60s I would go with a full float low pinion, either the mopar one for cheap, or custom order a prorock with low pinion. If considering semi float... I would just do 35 spline in your current axle... IF you can walk away with locker+shafts+labor for 2kish. If we're talking 3-3.5k it would be hard not to just bite the bullet on a 60 for another grand.

Last edited:

LarryG

Another noob question....

How do you know you twisted the spline? It's obvious after removal and inspection, but what symptom is exhibited at the time?

metalic

Another noob question....

How do you know you twisted the spline? It's obvious after removal and inspection, but what symptom is exhibited at the time?

Visual inspection
I had to pull my locker and replace clutch gear when I found it this time.

metalic

Yea I wish jeep forums (not this one in particular, just in general) would stop with the whole "keep the spline count the same so you can use your stock as a spare" thing, I mean is $300 extra for a spare 35 spline really that big of a deal when spending $2k+ on your axle?

Now as far as the dana 60, I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but I don't feel like a semi float high pinion prorock 60 is significantly better than a 35 spline dana 44. You still have 35 spline shafts and you still have SF flanges. And yea the ring gear and pinion are slightly larger but you're also running on the coast side with a HP so the difference in strength might not be as big as you think. Yea the housing is significantly stronger but how often does the rear d44 housing prove to be the weak link in the system... Most of the time it's flanges, sometimes its shafts, once in a while it's the r&p, and then rarely you see the dude with the "friday" axle who spun the tubes.

So if you are looking at D60s I would go with a full float low pinion, either the mopar one for cheap, or custom order a prorock with low pinion. If considering semi float... I would just do 35 spline in your current axle... IF you can walk away with locker+shafts+labor for 2kish. If we're talking 3-3.5k it would be hard not to just bite the bullet on a 60 for another grand.

I almost sold this axle last fall and went with SF 60 but as you said went back and forth on how much stronger it really would be. I have my Tubes welded in so no worries there. I figure I can sell locker and warrantied shafts for a grand "ish" and go 35 and be out 600 bucks or drop a ton on a 60.

chipper

This is good to hear, as I am looking at getting arb locker in the rear when I regear and have been wondering if I should go with the 35 or not. Funds may determine my decision.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This is good to hear, as I am looking at getting arb locker in the rear when I regear and have been wondering if I should go with the 35 or not. Funds may determine my decision.

Funds are what determined me doing 35 spline. When I originally regeared I couldn't afford to pay an extra $800-$1000 for new shafts so I stayed with the stock spline count. The nice thing about the stock spline count is it's easier to carry a trail spare if something were to happen to my revolutions.

swampdog

I'm running 30 spline Ten Factory with ARB. I'm twisting splines constantly. Attached pic is 1 trip out on a warrantied shaft. I'm debating selling my locker and going 35 spline ARB and shafts. Would 35s hold up? I've never seen them in person and wondered how they compare to a 35 d60 shaft

Can you tell us more about your rig to try to help what may be causing this? Engine swap? Tire size? What transfer case? What type of terrain are you wheeling on (loose mud vs high traction slick rock)?

metalic

Can you tell us more about your rig to try to help what may be causing this? Engine swap? Tire size? What transfer case? What type of terrain are you wheeling on (loose mud vs high traction slick rock)?

Stock engine, trans, Tcase. I twisted first set on 37" procomps MT. Everything since has been 38 fake MT comps. ( that's part of my problem) curious if the 35 spline axles will be sufficient or if the 60 is in order

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bigger is better and more splines will give you more strength. This is why Rubicons come with 32 spline rear shafts, to help make them stronger. Of course, the drawback to them is that the shafts aren't equal lengths like what you find on a Sport or Sahara. At least upgrading to 35 splines will be easier for you to do. That being said and with what I'm hearing from you, it sounds like you're playing hard enough that maybe you should be saving up for a 60.

jesse3638

Hooked
After suffering a bent flange on the Rubicon I just purchased a set of Revolution 32 spline Rubi shafts from Trail Jeeps. I don't consider my wheeling to be that hard so I figure these should hold up well. Plus "All Revolution, rear axle kits come with the bearings seals and retainers 100% pressed together and ready to install and are backed by a comprehensive lifetime warranty that covers all failures including bent shafts". (Taken from their website). Also Wes and Tim were great to deal with and I had the shafts 2 days after I ordered them. Though they are 30 spline I'd say go with revolution and Trail Jeeps as the warranty is still the same. Now who wants to come install mine as I have had no free time. I have a lot of maintenance to do. I just unpacked and parked it. I noticed last night my passenger side front fender is about to fall off too. The list of to-do's keeps getting longer and longer..haha

Webe

Eddy is right, bigger is better. I have a set of ten factory 35 splines I ran 37s with. No issues. I will sell them to you for $150 for the set. Ran them for 8 months. I splurged and went to a d60 so I have no need for them. Pm me if interested.

Top Bottom