Brake upgrade

kgxi08

Anyone have any insight with upgrading the break and rotors on a 2 door jk. Any brands recommend?

mastrcruse

Depends on your budget. If you have some money to spend look into the dynatrac progrip system. Seems like several people are lovin' the upgrade. If not, somewhere around here some posted the parts list for the JK8 upgraded brakes but seems like it's hard to find someone to "import" the parts and it might be close to the price of the dynatrac upgrade. In all honesty though, I have kept with the OEM stuff and upgraded the MC/Booster with OE-P5160050 and it's been a great addition.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anyone have any insight with upgrading the break and rotors on a 2 door jk. Any brands recommend?

The Dynatrac pro grips are great from what I have heard from friends and thru people posting about them on here. I know I will be upgrading to them on my two door here soon

Ddays

Hooked
This is going to be my next mod. Dynatrac is a tested proven system and for the money you can't beat it. Guy posted on here a week or so ago about the $3500 Brembos he put on & they fell off. The cause was debated on his thread (putting it nicely) but the fact is the damn things fell off! There are pad options out there but if you are running 35's or up, I'd seriously consider the Dynatracs.

Have you ever tried to do a full on panic stop in your Jeep from 70 or so? I found an open stretch with no traffic a couple weeks ago and did it and its eye opening. I'm running 37's and doing that test is what's pushing me to upgrade. Watch Eddies demo of the Dynatrac system on Moby with 40" Mud Graps. No other kit to consider IMHO....

rogerk93

This is going to be my next mod. Dynatrac is a tested proven system and for the money you can't beat it. Guy posted on here a week or so ago about the $3500 Brembos he put on & they fell off. The cause was debated on his thread (putting it nicely) but the fact is the damn things fell off! There are pad options out there but if you are running 35's or up, I'd seriously consider the Dynatracs.

Have you ever tried to do a full on panic stop in your Jeep from 70 or so? I found an open stretch with no traffic a couple weeks ago and did it and its eye opening. I'm running 37's and doing that test is what's pushing me to upgrade. Watch Eddies demo of the Dynatrac system on Moby with 40" Mud Graps. No other kit to consider IMHO....

I had a close call a few months ago on the highway when someone cut me off to take the off ramp and had to really push my brakes and with the OEM system and 37's it deff was an eye opener to upgrade my brake system.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thirds on the ProGrips. I have driven a lifted showroom Jeep with 35's and was alarmed at how bad the stopping power was. The ProGrips give me a ton of confidence, allowing me to enjoy mountain driving a lot more. The larger rotors REALLY are key to the controlled braking allowed. Having a lot of experience in street bikes, I instantly understood the value in this system.

swampdog

They were Wilwood brakes, but nonetheless, a catastrophic end.

Ozon8r

Two thumbs up on the ProGrips. I run 37" tires and weigh in at 6200 lbs fully loaded. The stock brakes labored with this load. The ProGrips are night and day better. I've also pulled a 3200 lb trailer in Colorado and forgot to turn on the brake controller coming down from 10,000' to 5000' and didn't even notice the trailer pushing me (don't try this at home folks). Unintentional but a solid test of the stopping power.

Good luck.

dchotrod

The ProGrips are worth every single penny! No reservations whatsoever. For me it was one of those times when I thought would it really make that big a difference. It did. Dynatrac has a great reputation for a reason.

jeeeep

Hooked
What size tires are you running?
I used the PowerStop slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads when I had 35s on my four door, they were a definite upgrade from stock.
With 37s they worked ok but not as well as the Dynatrac Pro Grips. Only thing with the ProGrips, you need to make sure your wheels inner clearance is 17 inches to clear the oversized rotors and new caliper brackets.
I can tell you from experience that dynatrac Pro Grips are an excellent setup and they do work.:thumb:
Whatever you decide to do for a brake upgrade make sure you do all 4.

PabloK

Yup, I'm that guy.

Willwood finally admitted fault. The first batch of kits used the OEM bolts which did not have enough thread to go through the ear and to the differently sized caliper. They started shipping the kit with longer aftermarket bolts shortly there after. So I got 2 brand new calipers, 8 new bolts, and 2 wheels out of it.

And on that note, I would never recommend Willwood to anybody. It's cheap shit, made in china, with no warranty.

Brembos are a different league. My rear BBK on my 335 was about $3900 alone IMG_6203.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Willwood finally admitted fault. The first batch of kits used the OEM bolts which did not have enough thread to go through the ear and to the differently sized caliper. They started shipping the kit with longer aftermarket bolts shortly there after. So I got 2 brand new calipers, 8 new bolts, and 2 wheels out of it.

Wow, good to hear. You should update that other thread so people on there know.

I had a similar problem with my Rough Country winch mount. Luckily, I found out while installing it that the bolts were not long enough and I stripped out the threads in one of their brackets while torquing. They were standard Grade 8, so I just went and got my own bolts.

Ddays

Hooked
Yup, I'm that guy.

And on that note, I would never recommend Willwood to anybody. It's cheap shit, made in china, with no warranty.

Brembos are a different league. My rear BBK on my 335 was about $3900 alone View attachment 214437

Hey, a happy ending! Glad it worked it out. I concur with WJCO - you should update that thread so that someone that may come across it can see what the solution was.

Didn't mean to dis Brembo's - I was being lazy & didn't refer back to your thread to see they were Wilwoods.

Gravedigger11

Depends on your budget. If you have some money to spend look into the dynatrac progrip system. Seems like several people are lovin' the upgrade. If not, somewhere around here some posted the parts list for the JK8 upgraded brakes but seems like it's hard to find someone to "import" the parts and it might be close to the price of the dynatrac upgrade. In all honesty though, I have kept with the OEM stuff and upgraded the MC/Booster with OE-P5160050 and it's been a great addition.

What's this part number to?

Top Bottom