Axles...... Junkyard build or buy new?

BRaVell

Now this will most likely not happen until something breaks or the Jeep is paid off in the next year or so.

However I have tried searching and have done some reading now I'm going to ask.

Pro and cons of building a junk yard axle or buying a shiny new one.

I personally do not have the knowledge to build one by myself. However I do have friends who are capable or several local off road shops.

Buying a new axle seems smart however it also comes with a high price tag. I would like to hear from someone with knowledge or experience having done either.

Thanks. Hopefully I did not start this and miss a similar post.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Building a junk yard axle can be just as expensive as buying new if you don't have people who know what they are doing. Even if they do know they could screws it up. In the end it could still be as expensive as buying new and at that point why not just save up for the new one that comes with a warranty and will last you a long time

Ddays

Hooked
What kind of build are you talking about? 40" tires with 60/80 combo or just a front axle? That could make a difference. If you've done the research then you likely know how much work and fabbing is required to do junkyard axles. Did you check out Grubbicons build thread? He's been fabbing his axles for a while. Granted, he's got other toys hes been playing with but the point is its a lot of fab work. Then you have to worry about the electronic hookups too. The new axles are bolt in & go. Be done in a day. IDK, guess you have to decide if the time spent building them is worth it or the time spent driving is worth it. Either way the overall investment is close to the same when you factor in your time.

BRaVell

I like the plug I'm play. And I am still deciding between 44 and 44, 44 and 60 or 60 and 60. Really I just want to get the d30 out of the front and be able to beat on it with out worries. Realistically I will stay 37s but I also thought I'd be happy with 35s so who knows.

I was looking at the artec brackets and it seems straight forward.

I have not. Thank you for the reference and I will look into his threads.

BRaVell

Work provides me with a shiny car and flashing lights. And the Jeep is my only other vehicle. Ideally when the build will be "finished" when I can confidentiality take it to a trail and have few worries about not being able to drive it home. Strong and reliable is the goal........ Ironically I also have a teraflex lift

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I like the plug I'm play. And I am still deciding between 44 and 44, 44 and 60 or 60 and 60. Really I just want to get the d30 out of the front and be able to beat on it with out worries. Realistically I will stay 37s but I also thought I'd be happy with 35s so who knows.

I was looking at the artec brackets and it seems straight forward.

I have not. Thank you for the reference and I will look into his threads.

If 37s are the biggest you envision yourself going you are best off with going the 44 front and rear combo. Your rear 44 is a true 44 and it can withstand 37s to some extent. You may find yourself bending a rear flange but if you get some Revolution rear shafts they will warranty them for life.

That would leave you just having to replace the front and honestly, since you don't want to have any worries, you might as well get the best which is a Prorock44 Unlimited. Pricing can vary depending on options so I recommend you contact Dynatrac directly so they can give you a quote.

austin160

I am in the same boat. I have researched and talked with a few other people that have built junkyards. In the end you will come out about the same price as a new assembly (44 not 60). Mine being a daily I am going with a 44 assembly, because the one's that have done a 60 swap say it is isn't very daily friendly.

GR8WHITE

Junkyard axle swaps are not for everyone. Its a pain in the ass and a ton of work. And if u can't do all the cutting, grinding, welding, ect... Its gonna cost u quite a bit in labor to have it done. I went junkyard because of budget and I like fabrication and making one of a kind stuff. But if i had the budget I would have went the Dynatrac route in a heart beat. But just a ball park I'm about 6k in my kingpin 60 and 14 bolt. That's everything brand new. Brakes seals studs gears lockers and even 35 spline chromoly (inner and outer) shafts with yukon chromoly super joints and 35 spline hubs in the front. I would love a brand new XD60 front and pr80 rear but that would be around 18-20k.

WJCO

Meme King
I have the tools and experience to do a junkyard axle, yet I will be purchasing a complete axle when the time comes. Not worth the hassle to me.

DemCoconuts

I went the junkyard way. I enjoy projects like this, and while I don't have all the knowledge yet on the finer details, I like learning, plus I have the tools and people with knowledge available to me.

I picked up my 06 F350 D60/10.5 combo for $600 CAD. Couldn't pass on that price. By the time I am done building these axles, they will cost me a little more than buying a single PR44 front here in Canada (not including the man hours).

My buddy is doing a 1 ton swap in his TJ as well. Great fun going back and forth about what we are doing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you live in the east coast, you're not likely to need anything more than the factory rear Dana 44 you already have especially with just a set of 37's. If it were me, I would just save my pennies, play with the Dana 30 as hard as I wanted and then replace it IF or when it needed replacing and with a ProRock 44. If I could guess, you'll never need to make the upgrade.

mpjku

I'm in the middle of a front 44 junkyard build now. If turning wrenches, grinding and welding is your stress reliever than go that way. I'm enjoying the build, but it's really not saving me any money. I look at parts on Craigslist but change my mind and just buy new parts so I know what condition they are in. I'm $3000 in and still need to buy a few more items to wrap it up. But I can say I built it when I'm done:)

thardy

Banned
Being that you live in the east coast, you're not likely to need anything more than the factory rear Dana 44 you already have especially with just a set of 37's. If it were me, I would just save my pennies, play with the Dana 30 as hard as I wanted and then replace it IF or when it needed replacing and with a ProRock 44. If I could guess, you'll never need to make the upgrade.

I think it really depends on the type of east coast wheeling that's being done. For the majority of wheeling we have out here, I'd say you're right. But if you're into hill climbs that require lots of throttle, the 30 definitely isn't going to last too long. And I'd say you're definitely right about the rear 44 being plenty for 99% of east coast wheelers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it really depends on the type of east coast wheeling that's being done. For the majority of wheeling we have out here, I'd say you're right. But if you're into hill climbs that require lots of throttle, the 30 definitely isn't going to last too long. And I'd say you're definitely right about the rear 44 being plenty for 99% of east coast wheelers.

Agreed. Like I said, "if it were me..."

Top Bottom