Coil Over ride

LarryG

I am interested in hearing about the ride quality of coil overs on pavement compared to standard shock. I love the highway ride and feel now, and don't want to give that up by going the coil over route. Since I have never had a vehicle (other than a racecar) with coil overs....I don't have any idea or anything to compare to. So the question is....what can be expected-on the highway? Thanks.

MOOK

For me going from BDS coils w/fox 2.0 shocks to EVO bolt on coilovers was a drastic improvement in ride quality on hwy. or any driving situation for that matter

LarryG

I don't have any firsthand experience with them, but there might be some info in this thread.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=31168

Thanks for the thread reference. Most had to deal with the fun of trial and error with a bit of head scratching thrown in. Mook was the only to directly respond to the question- Highway ride comparison. I currently have the AEV 3.5 lift setup, and am very happy with the highway ride. I want the coil over advantages, but .....

AU Bronc N JK

Thanks for the thread reference. Most had to deal with the fun of trial and error with a bit of head scratching thrown in. Mook was the only to directly respond to the question- Highway ride comparison. I currently have the AEV 3.5 lift setup, and am very happy with the highway ride. I want the coil over advantages, but .....

I went from the AEV 3.5" coils with bilstein 5100
Shocks to the EVO coilovers. My ride quality is a little stiffer on the back roads/potholes than the AEV coils were. On the highway, they ride great and I still drive 75-80mph with zero issues (nice and smooth)! Overall though, I would not give up the performance of the coilovers for the ride quality of coil springs. Also, I had to change out the springs for stiffer spring rates as the rear end was bottoming out with the king springs that come with them.

I also have poison spider rocker guards, poison spider corner guards, body mounted rear tire carrier, jcr bumper, and full size 37" spare mounted on the back. So this all plays a roll in the spring rates required with the coilovers (as noted in other threads).

I'm anxious to try these new coilovers out on the trail at Windrock in a few weeks. I have not had time to get them on the trails since installing them due to having a baby boy back in March!

Good luck!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
From what I have always read on here, if you want a really great ride, and this is all subjective, but the Evo plush rides, paired with the 2.5 king shocks, is a better ride than the 2.0 coilovers in the bolt on kit. Personally I love the ride my coilovers provide me. I went from this kit from a stock JKU, but before I was running 3" plush rides and 5100 shocks on my 2 door rubi that was on the heavier side. I think the ride is great, but I wouldnt mind it being a bit softer at times, then again my shocks need a rebuild and new oil which could be part of the ride.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, as mentioned, ride quality is 100% subjective. From personal experience, the EVO plush ride coils paired up with the King 2.5's offers what I consider to be a nicer ride than what comes standard with the bolt on coil over kit. That being said, MOST of ride quality comes from spring rate and the nice thing about coil overs is that you can have yours setup however you want. Hell, both Moby and Rubicat are both running DTD's only with different spring rates/valving and what I can tell you is that Moby has a much nicer all around ride - super Cadillac smooth but Rubicat can take much bigger hits on the trail without bottoming out.

Top Bottom