Why Doesb't Jeep Have Disconnectable Front Hubs

JoeB-JKURX

One of the oldest technologies around are hubs to disconnect the front drive train while you are on the highway. It would seem to have been a simple matter for Jeep to include them on the (at least) newer Wranglers. Is there any logic to have unit bearings with no provision to disconnect the front drive train on JK Jeeps?

Azzi

I was at first going to say that my F250 has em but then I thought shit it's 17 years old. Haha

Speeddmn

F250/350's are the only ones that come to mind that currently offer this. My 205 GMC 3500 dosent have it, I know the new Rams dont also. Maybe some of the fleet line/work truck lines have them.

Ddays

Hooked
I would guess ease of manufacturing and cost would be the biggest reasons. Unit bearings have made front axle assemblies a lot less complicated. I for one would rather replace a unit bearing than change out the bearings in an old hub.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the oldest technologies around are hubs to disconnect the front drive train while you are on the highway. It would seem to have been a simple matter for Jeep to include them on the (at least) newer Wranglers. Is there any logic to have unit bearings with no provision to disconnect the front drive train on JK Jeeps?

It's a "convenience" feature not to have them. It's so you don't have to get out in the rain, snow or mud just to shift into 4WD. If we're really unlucky, they'll even do away with a manual transfer case shift lever and replace it with an electronic push button or knob like they have on the Cherokee and Renegade. :rolleyes2:

Azzi

A buddy of mine has a 2006 Dodge 3500 and it has a solenoid that changes the transfer case for him at the push of a button...... No wait it used too, broken now and says its big money to replace it. And he's a do it yourself kind of person so the part must be expensive. No thank you, I'll keep my 2000 7.3 F250.

caminton

A buddy of mine has a 2006 Dodge 3500 and it has a solenoid that changes the transfer case for him at the push of a button...... No wait it used too, broken now and says its big money to replace it. And he's a do it yourself kind of person so the part must be expensive. No thank you, I'll keep my 2000 7.3 F250.

If/when I can afford a dedicated tow rig, this engine will be my choice. Can't beat the old 7.3.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It's a "convenience" feature not to have them. It's so you don't have to get out in the rain, snow or mud just to shift into 4WD. If we're really unlucky, they'll even do away with a manual transfer case shift lever and replace it with an electronic push button or knob like they have on the Cherokee and Renegade. :rolleyes2:

I didn't like it when Chevy went electronic on the transfer case, even though it never broke.

Ddays

Hooked
Solid Axle makes a lockout hub conversion kit for JK's to get rid of the unit bearings if you really wanted to. They look pretty stout too.

Edit: It does change your stud pattern to 5 x 5.5 though. And at $1400 it'd take a hell of a long time to pay back....

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

Aotomatic Locking Hubs

I've not kept up with what Toyota does these days but I had a '93 4Runner 4x4 with automatic locking hubs. I didn't wheel it really hard but beat it pretty hard at times and had absolutely no problems with it. I'd be happy with manual hubs but the automatic hubs were fine too (didn't have to get out of the car to engage the hubs). I don't know anything about them but heard from another Jeeper here in Albuquerque about manual hubs for the JK from an outfit called Spyntec.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Toyota still have them on the 70 series but really that's just because the axle hasn't changed in years. Not only is it cheaper to build the axle without manual hubs it's also much stronger and lighter.

Plus the fuel savings from disconnecting the axle is negligible

I think it depends on the trim level for Dodge for the electronic transfer case. My dad and I both had '07s he had the mechanical linkage in his big horn and I had electronic in my Laramie. We had different drivetrains too so that might be why. Dodge hasn't had unlocking hubs since the early 90s.

JoeB-JKURX

Two things come to mind relative to this thread:

1. I just re-read Eddie's post and realized I totally missed the ironic statement, "convenience", indeed. Thanks for the humor!!
2. A lot of folks have issues at speed with driveshafts (vibration, etc.). With unlocking hubs, you'd probably never get to the speed where the vibration occurred as you'd usually only use 4WD at lower speeds.

If it were available from the factory, an unlocking hub would be cheap enough to at least be an option.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

^^^ it's this. As Trump would say, "it's the pussification of America" that drives it mainly. People want vehicles that parks themselves, drive themselves, etc. heaven forbid a couple times a year you have to get out and turn some hubs and possibly get your hands dirty :)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
^^^ it's this. As Trump would say, "it's the pussification of America" that drives it mainly. People want vehicles that parks themselves, drive themselves, etc. heaven forbid a couple times a year you have to get out and turn some hubs and possibly get your hands dirty :)

Yep. TPMS monitors, power windows in a Jeep, people that think jumping another vehicle off will break their car...

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Yep, couldnt agree more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know anything about them but heard from another Jeeper here in Albuquerque about manual hubs for the JK from an outfit called Spyntec.

You should see how much they cost. :shock:
Nice to have for sure but they'd be really hard for me to justify.

Top Bottom