My Jeep is swaying bad

Defcon3JKU

I have installed some new accessories to my Jeep and now it seems it is hard to handle above 40mph and around 70mph it is almost white knuckles. My Jeep has a 2" spacer kit with Fox Racing 2.0 shocks since I bought it. Since then I have installed flat fenders, Evo Mfg 1/4 Pounder with Revolution Stinger, Evo Mfg rear shackle mounts, and Rugged Ridge hitch receiver with wiring harness. I had a engine problem and Chrysler put a new motor in my Jeep about 2 months ago. Now I have a axle seal leaking on the front Dana 30 driver side that I'm having to wait on parts to be fixed. My question is with the added clearance from front to back does this add drag under the Jeep that would make it handle like crap and be all over the road. I had an alignment done and had all the tires rebalanced and still bad. I have played with the tire pressure from 35psi-26psi and still the same handling. What am I missing to check. Could it be a bad set of 35s that could cause this. I'm new to having a Jeep and don't know if this is normal or if I have an issue. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1470751736908.jpg
    1470751736908.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 158
  • 1470751755167.jpg
    1470751755167.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 1470751805295.jpg
    1470751805295.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 159

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on what you've said about your jeep being "hard to handle above 40mph and around 70mph it is almost white knuckles", I'd have to say that your caster is off enough from the installation of your lift for it to be a problem for you. Installing a set of adjustable front lower control arms and adding back a bit more positive caster should help.

swampdog

I have installed some new accessories to my Jeep and now it seems it is hard to handle above 40mph and around 70mph it is almost white knuckles. My Jeep has a 2" spacer kit with Fox Racing 2.0 shocks since I bought it. Since then I have installed flat fenders, Evo Mfg 1/4 Pounder with Revolution Stinger, Evo Mfg rear shackle mounts, and Rugged Ridge hitch receiver with wiring harness. I had a engine problem and Chrysler put a new motor in my Jeep about 2 months ago. Now I have a axle seal leaking on the front Dana 30 driver side that I'm having to wait on parts to be fixed. My question is with the added clearance from front to back does this add drag under the Jeep that would make it handle like crap and be all over the road. I had an alignment done and had all the tires rebalanced and still bad. I have played with the tire pressure from 35psi-26psi and still the same handling. What am I missing to check. Could it be a bad set of 35s that could cause this. I'm new to having a Jeep and don't know if this is normal or if I have an issue. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My guess is that the issue is using a 2" spacer lift rather than a proper coil suspension lift. May be time to pony up for a real set of springs and do it the right way.

swampdog

Based on what you've said about your jeep being "hard to handle above 40mph and around 70mph it is almost white knuckles", I'd have to say that your caster is off enough from the installation of your lift for it to be a problem for you. Installing a set of adjustable front lower control arms and adding back a bit more positive caster should help.

Good call on the caster being off. That will make handling at speed a monster to deal with.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that the issue is using a 2" spacer lift rather than a proper coil suspension lift. May be time to pony up for a real set of springs and do it the right way.

Nah, a spacer lift is fine and I've run them without any negative issues. Being that the OP mainly feels the poor handling at highway speeds, it's most likely a caster issue for him. Or at least, that's what I think.

Defcon3JKU

I agree with you but I bought it with the lift and tires already on it. I have a baby on the way, otherwise I would be putting coilovers on it. I'm trying to have the ride quality a little better and hopefully make due with a few upgrades to get it ok for now. In 4 years when it's completely paid off will be my overhaul.

jeeeep

Hooked
Don't be tempted to go cheap and use caster bolts, they will cost you more in the long run.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Should I get the Evo Mfg ones or are they all about the same quality?

The EVO or Currie adjustable lower control arms is what I personally would recommend. They both come with Johnny Joints on both ends and are made well.

Defcon3JKU

The EVO or Currie adjustable lower control arms is what I personally would recommend. They both come with Johnny Joints on both ends and are made well.

Do you think I only need front or should I do front and rear? Like I said new to learning all this. Also thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

KJ_CJtoJK

Could also run control arm drop brackets to change caster. This option will be much cheaper than adjustable control arms and also correct geometry of control arm for better ride over bumps in road . This is what I did on my jeep, and I'm very happy with this solution for caster adjustment.

WJCO

Meme King
Keep in mind with drop brackets though that you lose ground clearance and it's one more thing that could come loose ( unless you weld them on).

Napalm

This may be a dumb question, but just for my own knowledge, does a 2inch lift always throw off caster? I just installed an EVO level which is a 2 inch coil spring in the front, but I haven't experienced any of the symptoms that OP has had.

Just curious!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind with drop brackets though that you lose ground clearance and it's one more thing that could come loose ( unless you weld them on).

Agreed. I would never recommend drop brackets if only because you're purposefully lowering a point that you just spent so much money to raise.

This may be a dumb question, but just for my own knowledge, does a 2inch lift always throw off caster? I just installed an EVO level which is a 2 inch coil spring in the front, but I haven't experienced any of the symptoms that OP has had.

Just curious!

Any time you lift, you will change your caster. Some people simply feel the effects of it more than others. It's all subjective.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
One advantage to the Evo arms is the on vehicle adjustability. You do not have to disconnect the control arm to adjust the joint.

Top Bottom