Diff Skid or Replace Diff Cover?

jeeeep

Hooked
Since replacing my gears, my rear diff has had a small but annoying leak. I'm about to remove and reseal/re-gasket and am looking at adding more protection. looking for input on pros and cons of skid plate versus stonger cover. i don't think weight will be much of a difference. also, how many have used RTV versus a gasket

Thanks for your input :thinking:

GCM 2

Since replacing my gears, my rear diff has had a small but annoying leak. I'm about to remove and reseal/re-gasket and am looking at adding more protection. looking for input on pros and cons of skid plate versus stonger cover. i don't think weight will be much of a difference. also, how many have used RTV versus a gasket

Thanks for your input :thinking:

I have run both over the years on different axles, personally I didnt see much difference in performance/protection. When it comes to RTV versus gasket, go with RTV every time. Gaskets have a harder time sealing evenly and are just prone to failing over time. Also stay really far away from "lube locker" reusable gaskets, absolutely worthless! Reference the Project JK write up for the specifics.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-solid-differential-cover-installation

Edit: Wayolife has the correct RTV brand. See below post

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I would run an aftermarket diff cover over a skid if for no other reason than the fact it makes servicing your axles that much easier. As far as gaskets go, I know there will be a lot of Lubelocker fans that'll chime in but, I personally would recommend using an RTV known as "The Right Stuff". It's made by Permatex and is pricey but, the best damn RTV I've ever used.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have run both over the years on different axles, personally I didnt see much difference in performance/protection. When it comes to RTV versus gasket, go with RTV every time. Gaskets have a harder time sealing evenly and are just prone to failing over time. Also stay really far away from "lube locker" reusable gaskets, absolutely worthless! As far as RTV, go buy a can of the Mr Gasket "gasket in a can" (literally) and use that. One can of this cheez-whiz like product is enough for probably 4 differential cover installs, maybe more. Reference the Project JK write up for the specifics.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-solid-differential-cover-installation

Or what he said :cheesy:

man, I really need to redo that write-up with some better covers :D

Top Bottom