Dead Battery

Would attempting to jump start a manual with a completely drained battery flood the motor ? And if it did, would it be a possibility for it to cause some cylinder miss fires ? Just experienced some gremlins with the jeep tonight and trying to narrow down the potential causes.

tgoss

Are you just talking about it cranking the motor without it starting? I would highly doubt you'd have that happen ever. Have you pulled your plugs to inspect yet?

Yeah the battery was completely drained, tried to bump start, it would crank but refused to start, ran to walmart and put a new battery in and now I am getting multiple misfires. Going to pull the plugs today after work and see what I can't find

WJCO

Meme King
To have multiple misfires all at once is rarely plugs. Sounds more like a common denominator like a coil harness, injection harness, or pcm. Did the battery maybe go dead from cranking it and cranking it without the engine starting? If the thing has been sitting for a long time, look for rodent damage at wiring harnesses.

To have multiple misfires all at once is rarely plugs. Sounds more like a common denominator like a coil harness, injection harness, or pcm. Did the battery maybe go dead from cranking it and cranking it without the engine starting? If the thing has been sitting for a long time, look for rodent damage at wiring harnesses.

No, it hasn't been sitting long at all. It's a daily driver. I had it hooked up with jumper cables and it would try to crank but wouldnt, tried bump starting it and it was trying to turn over but wouldn't start. Parked it, went and bought a new battery, it started but was idling rough, turned it off and plugged in my flashpaq and it tossed seven codes, most of which were for either turn signal or fog lamp amps being high and one said ETC AD Grounding Performance. Cleared them, restarted it and it ran fine for like 2 to 4 minutes than started to misfire. Shut it off and let it sit for the night and started it up this morning and same thing, ran fine for 2 to 4 minutes then started to misfire again. Kinda lost for ideas so I am going to pull the plugs and wires and look around to try and figure it out. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Are the misfires the same cylinders every time the codes come back? Any water moisture near those coils?

WJCO

Meme King
It doesn't tell me which cylinders and no its been moisture free for a bit now

May be worth the money to buy a simple code reader that at least tells you which cylinders. Should give you a P0303 for cyl 3 or a P0304 for cyl 4, etc.

What you can do then, is swap the coil on a misfiring cylinder to another cylinder that doesn't misfire. Then recheck codes. If the misfire then appears where you switched the coil to, you'll know it's a bad coil. If the misfire stays at the same cylinder even with a good coil, it's another issue.

jeeeep

Hooked
P060b - Etc A/d Ground Performance - check your throttle position sensor wiring/connection that would cause misfires and would run ok for a bit once codes cleared.

Not going to lie guys I am super nervous about this because if it turns out my motor is done, I am going to be in a really tight spot with very few options... so I am freaking out a little bit:eek:

WJCO

Meme King
Not going to lie guys I am super nervous about this because if it turns out my motor is done, I am going to be in a really tight spot with very few options... so I am freaking out a little bit:eek:

I highly doubt your motor is shot. Especially if it runs ok for a couple minutes fine at first. Were there any symptoms leading up to this or did it just randomly start doing this?

I highly doubt your motor is shot. Especially if it runs ok for a couple minutes fine at first. Were there any symptoms leading up to this or did it just randomly start doing this?
Its got diesel in the system before because of a mistake by the company that transports fuel on base but that was like 11 months ago or so. I have had a slow leak from what I suspect is the rear main seal for a bit too but nothing too significant. When I first started it up after replacing the battery it was idling super rough and I shut it off immediately. I am about to head home soon to tear in and take a look at everything, but I am super nervous because like I said if I cant figure it out it's going to put me in a very tight spot... :grayno:

WJCO

Meme King
Its got diesel in the system before because of a mistake by the company that transports fuel on base but that was like 11 months ago or so. I have had a slow leak from what I suspect is the rear main seal for a bit too but nothing too significant. When I first started it up after replacing the battery it was idling super rough and I shut it off immediately. I am about to head home soon to tear in and take a look at everything, but I am super nervous because like I said if I cant figure it out it's going to put me in a very tight spot... :grayno:

Diesel in the symptom would cause the issues right away. So if it was cleaned out 11 months ago and has been running ok, I highly doubt that was the issue. I assume that the tank was drained and filters changed, etc?

jeeeep

Hooked
if it runs ok for a bit once you clear the codes it's probably not engine issue. I'd look at the throttle position sensor (TPS) first
the TPS wires are not pressed in like the other connectors so be careful when you pull the connector apart, they are a pin insert wire and you can pull the pins out of the connector so don't pull from the wire harness.

https://youtu.be/cWwpF9PjTUQ

Okay my mechanically inclined folk, I am having issues with my motor. It'll start fine and run fine for apxt like 10 seconds or so, but then as soon as it starts to idle it wil bog out and the check engine light comes on. Ran my scanner and it says multiple Cylinder misfire P0300 code, if I keep on the gas a bit like up at 1800 to 2000 rpm it will be fine but as soon as I let off and it idles it will start to misfire again, any ideas or suggestions ?

WJCO

Meme King
https://youtu.be/cWwpF9PjTUQ

Okay my mechanically inclined folk, I am having issues with my motor. It'll start fine and run fine for apxt like 10 seconds or so, but then as soon as it starts to idle it wil bog out and the check engine light comes on. Ran my scanner and it says multiple Cylinder misfire P0300 code, if I keep on the gas a bit like up at 1800 to 2000 rpm it will be fine but as soon as I let off and it idles it will start to misfire again, any ideas or suggestions ?

Usually a 300 code with no other cylinder codes listed could be fuel related or valves sticking. Did this by chance happen right after you filled up with gas?

Top Bottom