Dead Battery

jeeeep

Hooked
oh, yeah i had that code when I filled up with fuel and there was a lot of water in it. I made it about a block before it started to cut out, run rough and die.
This was right before I was going to leave for Easter Jeep Safari.
I siphoned fuel out of the tank by removing the fill hose at the tank so I could get past that ball security thing and was able to determined I had a lot of water in the tank.
Another member mentioned pulling the fuel line and letting the pump push the fuel out which I finally figured out how to do so I was able to clear any remaining water left in the lines.
Couple of bottles of seafoam later and fresh gas I haven't had any issues since, that's been March of this year lots of miles since.
Have you been driving it since you last filled up or did it do this pretty much right after you filled up

oh, yeah i had that code when I filled up with fuel and there was a lot of water in it. I made it about a block before it started to cut out, run rough and die.
This was right before I was going to leave for Easter Jeep Safari.
I siphoned fuel out of the tank by removing the fill hose at the tank so I could get past that ball security thing and was able to determined I had a lot of water in the tank.
Another member mentioned pulling the fuel line and letting the pump push the fuel out which I finally figured out how to do so I was able to clear any remaining water left in the lines.
Couple of bottles of seafoam later and fresh gas I haven't had any issues since, that's been March of this year lots of miles since.
Have you been driving it since you last filled up or did it do this pretty much right after you filled up

If there was water in the gas at fill up than it shouldn't be my issue to deal with, it should be the company with the shit "premium" gas that I filled up with.

jeeeep

Hooked
You may have just enough water in it to do what it's doing I'd try some star brite star tron fuel additive, I know O'Reilly carries it but it does a pretty good job of boosting the ethanol and getting rid of water. I think it does a better job than Sea Foam.
Pour a little bit more then what you need and give your Jeep a real good shake to mix it up.
I happened to have a full tank, 5 gallon gas cans are expensive!

jeeeep

Hooked
If there was water in the gas at fill up than it shouldn't be my issue to deal with, it should be the company with the shit "premium" gas that I filled up with.

true, I don't know how it is there but here the process of proving water in the tank and all the bullshit wasn't worth it for me I just dealt with it and moved on

jeeeep

Hooked
I filled up with ethanol free premium, think that could be the issue ?

I don't think that would cause a problem. I run ethanol free premium every chance I get and have never had an issue. i get better performance and better mileage
However I am running a hotter coil and the Superchips tune for performance

WJCO

Meme King
There are labs out there that will test the fuel. You just send it to them in a sample bottle, a lot of times they will send you the container for free. But usually, water and fuel will separate in a glass jar and it's easy for you to see.

If enough people in a certain area or at a certain station complain about contaminated fuel, it usually gets dealt with through either the station or the fuel supplier, but it can be a timely process. This can be a hassle proving whether the supplier is at fault or if the station somehow got water in their tanks.

jeeeep

Hooked
once you get a good sample you'll know - i wasn't as far in the tank as i thought on the first siphon, once i got the siphon hose in better it was obvious.

If you release the fuel line and let the pump run you'll know - this was after i had emptied the tank and then figured out how to release the fuel pump and run just the pump:

water_gas.jpg

water_gas2.jpg

i was surprised how much more was left in the lines and pump after siphoning the tank - filling 4.5 - 5 gallon cans siphoned out of the tank.

if you do the fuel line route, be very careful, that line is under a lot of pressure. i had covered underneath the line with spill mat and also covered the top enough to trap the initial spray that comes out.

i also had to cycle the key to the on position as the pump would shut off, so not the best way to empty out a full tank.

Any updates?

Well it's been apart at the dealership for all of two days now and they can't quite track it down... Checked compression, the injectors, valves, injector wires, everything and can't figure out still. The guy who is working it has been with Chysler for 20 years and was scratching his head because he couldn't figure it out. They contacted Chrysler and opened up a case with them to see if Chysler can figure something out. It turns out to be the entire left bank, cylinders 2,4 and 6 missfiring and they believe cylinder 2 is causing the rest to misfire but can't quite figure it out. Still a bit nervous, they already have 1k in labor but said they would cut it in half because they haven't figured it out...

Well went by the dealership today and the news I received was not good at all... The technician who was working on it thinks the PCM might be fried, cylinder 2 has a 40% leak and cylinder 5 has a 14% leak and even if the PCM gets replaced it is going to need a head job no matter what so looks like I am going to be about 3200 in the hole on this... :grayno::grayno::grayno:

WJCO

Meme King
Well went by the dealership today and the news I received was not good at all... The technician who was working on it thinks the PCM might be fried, cylinder 2 has a 40% leak and cylinder 5 has a 14% leak and even if the PCM gets replaced it is going to need a head job no matter what so looks like I am going to be about 3200 in the hole on this... :grayno::grayno::grayno:

Dude that sucks. Wonder what caused it so randomly?

Brute

Hooked
I filled up with ethanol free premium, think that could be the issue ?

You can also get Starbrite at any marine supply/West Marine...it sounds like a fuel problem...best to drain tank & lines and start with good clean fuel...

As far as octane is concerned, you should only drive with recommended octane for your engine...there is not much advantage in getting premium fuel if your engine is not set up for it...

crap...didn't see the engine diagnostic post...sorry man...

Top Bottom