Should I Get a Supercharger For My Jeep JK ?

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I've only run into one person who had one on their 3.8 and it was a recent install. They liked it at the time. I have been emailing RIPP back and forth on the one for the 3.6 and they are about ready to release it.

Hock Edition

im Just looking for more power. and it seems like that would be a great solution but not sure how it will handle on the trail

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
im Just looking for more power. and it seems like that would be a great solution but not sure how it will handle on the trail

I've known several people to run a RIPP and I was far from impressed. Some will swear by them but, I personally couldn't justify the significant cost for the minimal if not inferior performance I saw out of them. This is of course just my opinion and one intended more to save you money than anything. If you haven't already regeared, that's what I would recommend first and foremost. Above and beyond that, I might recommend a Superchips Flashpaq as I saw performance gains from it as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
im running 5:13 gears on 37s.

Okay. Do you have an auto and if so, have you made sure that your speedometer is properly calibrated? Your speedo controls your shift points and if it's off even by a bit, it will make your Jeep feel like it has less power than it really has. To properly calibrate your speedo, you NEED to make sure that you measure your tires from the ground up to the edge of the shoulder - the point where the side wall becomes the tread and NOT to the the highest point (top of the tread) or what is writen on the sidewalls.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i have not done that no. do u use a programer to do so after you get the tire size

That's what I thought. The cheapest and easiest way to recallibrate your speedo is to use an AEV ProCal. Costs about $100. A Superchips Flashpaq or Hypertech will do that and give you a bit more perfrormance but, they also cost more. Once your speedo is on, your shift points will be on and you should see a real difference.

Hock Edition

ok well im looking into the superchips traildash or the flashpaq looks like they do about the same thing so Im prob gonna go with the flashpaq

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok well im looking into the superchips traildash or the flashpaq looks like they do about the same thing so Im prob gonna go with the flashpaq

They'll do the same thing. The TrailDash is just something you can mount up and keep on all the time. The Flashpaq is really all that you need.

Web Architect

Ripp supercharger

07 auto with Ripp Supercharger :)
5:13 with 35"

It was installed before I bought the jeep, so I can't address the challenges of that project. There is an excellent YouTube vid showing the whole process. I ran across it using search.

My jeep had several issues when I got it, and it's taken some time and money to get it up to speed. That said, the supercharger does what it's supposed to do, compared to my buddy's JK at least.

jeeeep

Hooked
I also thought about upgrading to a supercharger until I drove a friend's RIPP installed Jeep for a weekend outing - his had the original RIPP not the GENII
Getting there was a blast, great pickup and passing was fun, not an adventure lol.
On the trail not so hot - seems all the power is in the higher end of the rpm range and it wasn't a smooth power band when slow wheeling.
his true cost of install is what finalized the deal to not get one, they claim it'll run on 89 - which it will but runs much better with higher octane.
His Jeep was similar to mine, 4dr Rubi, 35's, 4:88's

jkhutchison09

Had the GEN2 installed when I was on R&R so only got to drive it for a week but I love it. It's my DD and only only hit trails on the occasional weekend but knew going in to it that it would not provide much for crawling. Makes the Jeep very fun to drive now and no issues for the short time I was using it. I do use premium fuel though, runs much better than 89 octane.

dis_dis

Banned
I have it and it is awesome. Never heard anyone complain about having one and the extra power sure comes in handy on the trails and on the highways. Also its a complete bolt on system that you can install in your backyard ...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom