PDA

View Full Version : Rust treatment recommendations

Joshman3280
09-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Hi, I have a 1992 xj that has a little rust issues that I want to nip before the weather turns. Most of the suspension is rusted but I don't care about that since I will be replacing all that with a new kit next spring. Now I have some surface rust and penetrated rust along rear lower quarter panels and obviously the floor pan area, I read about Eastwood brand rust converter, it seems to be the best I was wondering if anyone had used it or had suggestions thank you!

kyle521
09-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Hi, I have a 1992 xj that has a little rust issues that I want to nip before the weather turns. Most of the suspension is rusted but I don't care about that since I will be replacing all that with a new kit next spring. Now I have some surface rust and penetrated rust along rear lower quarter panels and obviously the floor pan area, I read about Eastwood brand rust converter, it seems to be the best I was wondering if anyone had used it or had suggestions thank you!

Ive used mutiple spray paints on my frame that never lasted more than one winter up in the northeast. This summer I put on some Chassis saver and it seems like some good stuff, but only time will tell.

Ive heard of people using POR 15 as well but have not seen it in person.

Bigjimbo
09-09-2016, 05:44 PM
After seeing Eastwood in use at PA Jeeps this year, I personally would go that route. I've used loctite's rust inhibitor -which I think is just naval jelly- but as Kyle mentioned I'm rattle canning every year.

I've heard great results with POR15, but if I'm not mistaken, it's a lot of prep work and you'll have to topcoat it as it won't hold up to UV.

Vanv39
09-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Use Evapo Rust. You can get it at O'reillys.

Joshman3280
09-10-2016, 02:45 AM
Thank you very much for the input, I have had good experience with por15 on a classic Chevy I was working on, how ever I think I will try a shot of that Eastwood product and if I like it I will keep using it. Does that evapo rust product convert rust? Or just protect?

WJCO
09-10-2016, 02:46 AM
Used engine oil.

GregMort13
09-10-2016, 02:54 AM
Used engine oil.

X2...........

Judesign
09-10-2016, 02:55 AM
Used engine oil.

But pour it in the frame

132JKPNW
09-10-2016, 03:47 AM
Used motor oil. Or, not sure with previous rust, but I use chemical guys bare bones. It's an oil based undercarriage cleaner/ protector. Smells good looks pretty and no rust yet! I get about a month or two between coats before I reapply

Judesign
09-10-2016, 03:50 AM
Joking about pouring in the frame. Title made me think of an old thread. I've heard good things about bare bones though.

QuicksilverJK
09-10-2016, 04:12 AM
Oh lord, used engine oil thread going for round 2 🙄

bholder817
09-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Used engine oil.

I could not stop laughing at this. That whole thread!!! What an idiot!

Big Bad Wolf
09-10-2016, 05:45 AM
1- Remove as much rust scale as possible using wire wheels etc.

2 - Use POR-15 Metal prep to neutralize the rust

3 - Use POR-15 Marine Clean

4 - Paint on POR-15 (a couple coats) or Chassis Saver

5 - Put on your favorite Bedliner, 2 coats ( I used the POR-15 Brand)

6 - Use Formula 3000 on top to prevent any future corrosion. (Canadian Millitary uses it).

For inside the chassis or hard to reach areas use Eastwood Internal frame coating with the 2ft hose. Coat the inside with Formula 3000.

You are set, just make sure to follow instructions and wear a respirator and gloves etc.

Check out my JK chassis. The body inside and out will be the same.

sipafz
09-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Just for fun:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=36522

MattAlpha
09-10-2016, 01:00 PM
1- Remove as much rust scale as possible using wire wheels etc.

2 - Use POR-15 Metal prep to neutralize the rust

3 - Use POR-15 Marine Clean

4 - Paint on POR-15 (a couple coats) or Chassis Saver

5 - Put on your favorite Bedliner, 2 coats ( I used the POR-15 Brand)

6 - Use Formula 3000 on top to prevent any future corrosion. (Canadian Millitary uses it).

For inside the chassis or hard to reach areas use Eastwood Internal frame coating with the 2ft hose. Coat the inside with Formula 3000.

You are set, just make sure to follow instructions and wear a respirator and gloves etc.

Check out my JK chassis. The body inside and out will be the same.

Awesome job! I wish I had the time to go to this level.

Joshman3280
09-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Big Bad Wolf that's amazing, thank you I will try that, wow I can not get over how well that frame came out.

Tree Frog
09-10-2016, 09:28 PM
Big Bad Wolf that frame came out great. :thumb:

This man is our expert on rust.

Dear God I hope I never have to go through all that.

Big Bad Wolf
09-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys!

I have learned so many lessons. The key is to prevent rust in the first place. You do NOT want to have to do this, it was a lot of work.

Anyone have experience with bedliners ? Tree Frog, you mentioned one ? Was is Monster liner ?

I used EZ Liner but it cracked and flaked so I can't recommend it. I painted my old bumpers with Dupli-Color Bed Armour, with Kevlar. It seems tough with a very rugged texture. I will note the texture from this product may not satisfy everyone as it's extra chunky.

POR-15 Bedliner was nice to work with as it's very thick and leaves a nice finish.

I attached a photo of products I used to restore my two bumpers. Just ignore the dialectric grease as that was for the electrical. 222102

USMC Wrangler
09-11-2016, 12:18 AM
A long time ago, I was an auto body apprentice. We used a product called "Extend" from Napa. You can get it in an aerosol or liquid for brushing on. I used it a few years ago on my F150 for small touch up stuff. Here's an example https://www.walmart.com/ip/Osi-Sealants-1381192-8OZ-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Neutralizer/21285265?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=795&adid=22222222228016785703&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=51779283551&wl4=pla-83193256511&wl5=9031520&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112562476&wl11=online&wl12=21285265&wl13=&veh=sem

I've never used POR-15, but always heard good things about it.

relicdigger
09-11-2016, 01:12 AM
I'm giving Krown a try and I am on my third year of spraying. Things still look great underneath my Jeep no rust yet, even going through upper NY winters. Time will tell how well it works. They say it will stop rust from increasing if rust is already there (on older vehicles).

Tree Frog
09-11-2016, 02:34 AM
I have used the Extend before on my old CJ5 and it worked great. It turned the rust like black. Then you can prime and paint over it. of corse grind down all loose stuff and then spray it on.

Monstaliner is going in the bed of my old chevy truck real soon now.
Go to their web site as they review a bunch of the DIY bed liners and really get into what the others are made out of. Yeah I know they are biased toward their product. Great reviews on those other Jeep sites. (You know the ones I dont post on) :bleh:

I currently use the Rustoleum spray on bedliner stuff that comes in a red white and black can. Love the stuff. Sticks real good if prepped right. Pressure wash it for easy clean up.

Have used the Duplicolor stuff in the cab of the Chevy a long time ago. Then put Dynamat and carpet over it so who knows how it held up.
Watch it though as it will eat right through certain primers and leave you with a giant mess.

Lawagoneer
09-11-2016, 06:32 AM
My sister is an organic chemist that used to work for the company that makes the base formula in most if not all rust converters. She explained it to me that the product changes the iron oxide into a stable iron compound that is naturally dark in color and then the various additives are fillers and UV stabilizers mostly. Here is a write up from a vendor about how it works:
"What is Rust Converter? Rust Converter, a water-based primer, contains two active ingredients: Tannic acid and an organic polymer. The first ingredient, tannic acid, reacts with iron oxide (rust) and chemically converts it to iron tannate, a dark-colored stable material. Tannins are a group of water- and alcohol-soluble natural products extracted from fruits, trees and grasses. The second active ingredient, 2-Butoxyethanol, is an organic polymer that provides a protective primer layer. The overall chemical reaction converts rust into a stable, black protective polymeric coating that serves as an excellent primer for both oil and epoxy based paints."

To use properly you need to remove all rust scale and loose particles, stable surface rust is ok, then apply to stabilizer and let it dry. During the drying process the converter changes the rust. The trick is if you remove all the rust before application there is nothing to convert. I used to have problems with that part of it and had my sister watch me because I never got the color change. It was because I removed all the ruct. In that case she said just prime and paint as you would any other bare metal.

Donner85
09-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Another thing that'll help you after you clean up the rust and wanna maintain it is fluid film. I spray everything underneath just before winter.

Big Bad Wolf
09-12-2016, 04:23 AM
Krown ranked high on the Canadian Millitary study. You can read the whole study they did as it's available in PDF format online.

I checked out the details on the Monstaliner site. I agree that the chunky rubber fillers are annoying but I found using a paint brush solved the issue as the large chunks would brush away. Let us know Tree Frog how the bedliner goes!

A note on rust converters. The only true way to remove rust 100% is with a media blaster, otherwise you are left with small pits that a wire wheel just can not get. This is where the rust converter comes in handy. I guess minor surface rust may not have pits but keep an eye open for them.

If you use a media blaster there is no reason to use rust converter. The difference with the POR
-15 rust converter (metal prep) is it actually scores the metals surface to allow product to adhere to the clear surface.

I have seen Chassis Saver paint being applied over some pretty heavy rust, I have never used it but if it actualy works I guess it woud save a ton of rust removal time. I honestly feel skeptical about the idea but who knows ?

Interesting thread.

Joshman3280
09-13-2016, 04:31 AM
Wow thank you guys for the information. Big Bad Wolf what do you recommend for a media to blast with I have a friend who says to soda blast, however I have not personally done that.