Swapping springs with a TF leveling kit

BaddestCross

Hi all. I just bought my 2008 2-door Rubicon about a month ago. I'm still learning about it and trying to decide what I want to do to make it my own. It has what I think is a TerraFlex 2" leveling kit on it now. I used the stock measurement diagram floating around the forum to test it, and I've got 1.5" above stock now with an aftermarket bumper and winch installed. My question is, can I swap out the Mopar springs with 3" (or 2"?) Plush Rides without changing any other parts or is there more I need to do?

My Rubi is currently on 285/70s, but I'm thinking I want to move up to 35s when they wear down. Suggestions/advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Also, would I leave the TF spacers in place with new springs since the sway arm link was extended (I believe... How would I make sure?) or remove them because I changed the springs. Can you tell I'm new to all this yet? 😎

Last edited:

Napalm

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you're asking. I'd like to help!

Are you wanting to change out the Mopar spring and TF spacer for a plush ride coil? Or just change out the spring and leave the coil spacer in?

Napalm

I think I understand now that I read your edit.

If it were me, on a 285/70, I'd swap out the TF coil spacer and stock Mopar spring for a 2" EVO Plush Ride coil. It'll give you a much better ride! If you put a 2inch plush ride plus the TF spacer, you'll net a lot more height than you'll want with that size tire.

Even when you upgrade to 35s, you'll be okay with the 2" plush ride coil. If you wheel, you might need to trim your fenders but it will keep your center of gravity low and it will look good. Need pictures? Here you go.
35s with EVO 2inch Plush Ride in the front and 3/4 spacer in the rear.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473561902.429071.jpg

In summary, ditch the TF spacer and stock spring for an EVO plush ride. It'll look great with your current tire size and even better with 35s. I did it on my last Jeep, and I've done it again with my current Jeep. :)

BaddestCross

Thanks for the info! Yes, I am building this Jeep to be my after-work ride as well as going out on the trail, so seeing as though I don't want to lose all my MPG, I don't want to go too crazy. However, I do want to do some crawling. 😃

So, I guess my last question is do I leave the sway bar links in that I'm assuming came with the TerraFlex or will that cause a problem without the spacers in?

Napalm

Thanks for the info! Yes, I am building this Jeep to be my after-work ride as well as going out on the trail, so seeing as though I don't want to lose all my MPG, I don't want to go too crazy. However, I do want to do some crawling. [emoji2]

So, I guess my last question is do I leave the sway bar links in that I'm assuming came with the TerraFlex or will that cause a problem without the spacers in?

If it's a TF leveling kit, you can leave the sway bar links in and they will work fine. :)

BaddestCross

Perfect! So on your rig (nice one, by the way!) you left the stock springs on the rear?

I understand from what I've read on other threads that the 2" Plush will give me more than 2" on my 2-door. My concern is that right now with what I believe is a 2" leveling kit, I'm only getting 1.5" with the extra weight of the bumper and winch. Even if the Plush Rides give me 2.5" (guessing), I'd assume I'd lose that extra .5" with the extra weight? I don't want to spend the money if I'm only going to net another .5" when all is said and done.

I'm looking to gain another 1.5" to 2" over what I already have and get rid of the rake that I've got now. My Jeep came with Mopar Bushwhacker fenders that I'm kinda digging since everyone is going with the cut fenders - I sort of like being the black sheep :cool: so I'm thinking I need a bit more lift to get away without having to hack up or switch out the fenders.

So, if I'm not wrong in what I'm thinking here, would it still be good to stick with the 2" but leave the TerraFlex spacers or go with the 3" and pull the spacers? If I go with the 3" springs, will that affect the sway bar links?

Sorry for so many questions. I want to do this right the first time and not throw away my cash on something I'm gonna have to do again if I don't achieve the look / function I'm after.

Napalm

Perfect! So on your rig (nice one, by the way!) you left the stock springs on the rear?

This is correct. I left the stock spring in the rear and put a 3/4 coil spacer on top of it. If you're running the TF leveling kit, you should have one of these.

I understand from what I've read on other threads that the 2" Plush will give me more than 2" on my 2-door. My concern is that right now with what I believe is a 2" leveling kit, I'm only getting 1.5" with the extra weight of the bumper and winch. Even if the Plush Rides give me 2.5" (guessing), I'd assume I'd lose that extra .5" with the extra weight? I don't want to spend the money if I'm only going to net another .5" when all is said and done.

You will get about 2.5 maybe a little more with a plush ride spring in your two door. It'll still be perfect for your tire size.

I'm looking to gain another 1.5" to 2" over what I already have and get rid of the rake that I've got now. My Jeep came with Mopar Bushwhacker fenders that I'm kinda digging since everyone is going with the cut fenders - I sort of like being the black sheep :cool: so I'm thinking I need a bit more lift to get away without having to hack up or switch out the fenders.

Are you talking about the bushwacher pocket flares such as these?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473595315.644896.jpg

So, if I'm not wrong in what I'm thinking here, would it still be good to stick with the 2" but leave the TerraFlex spacers or go with the 3" and pull the spacers? If I go with the 3" springs, will that affect the sway bar links?

I would either go with a 2inch or 3 inch plush ride. Keep in mind though, that you do have a 2dr, so a 3 inch coil might net you closer to 4 or 4.5. 4 with a 35 inch tire is huge and a lot of lift for 35s. With a 3 inch, you'll also need longer sway bar links, lower adjustable control arms to correct caster, bump stops, etc.

I would do the 2 inch Plush Rides, and if that isn't enough for you(which is should be) you can consider putting a spacer on top of it. I would do a smaller spacer such a 3/4 inch though.

Sorry for so many questions. I want to do this right the first time and not throw away my cash on something I'm gonna have to do again if I don't achieve the look / function I'm after.

It's all good. That's what this forum is for!

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I had about 2.75" inches in front, with s stock bumper, Rochard winch plate, and Warn M8000, on my two door. I had 3.5 with just the stock bumper. You should be fine.

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=471792

http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=665168

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Awesome, thanks for the info and the link! I read through your build thread... The final photos were with 33s, right? When you finally installed the springs for the last time, you pulled all the spacers and just ran the springs? Why did you go with the OME springs in the rear and not the Plush Ride rears to match the front?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
They don't make 2" plush rides for the rear, so he used the OME springs instead. Evo does make 3" rears but that would've been too tall for his needs.

notnalc68

Awesome, thanks for the info and the link! I read through your build thread... The final photos were with 33s, right? When you finally installed the springs for the last time, you pulled all the spacers and just ran the springs? Why did you go with the OME springs in the rear and not the Plush Ride rears to match the front?

I was running 285/75R16 Duratracs, so essentially 33's. No spacers. I went with OME, because I wanted a 2" coil, in the rear. I already had the 2" EVO coils, and had read in a few threads, that OME ran soft. They matched up with the EVO coils, really well, and gave probably only a little over 2". I picked up just the 2 rear coils from Amazon. If I hadn't got married, and bought a JKU, I would have eventually put an LoD rear shorty bumper with tire carrier, and an LoD mid-width up front. I figured that would give me as close to a 2" lift, and soft ride as I could get, for a 2 door. Most all coils for JK Wranglers, yield at least an inch more on 2 doors. It was also my daily driver, so I wasn't going to go crazy big with it. Here are some pics of it, "in the wild."

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473610296.626579.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473610320.240969.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473610350.927546.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473610388.345482.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473610425.148273.jpg

If you get the EVO coils, and find out it's sitting a little lower that you want, front or rear, pick up some spacers in the desired extra height you want, from somewhere like Amazon. If you want a nice, soft ride, a little softer than stock, the EVO & OME coils are really good. I don't like a stiff ride. That's why I pulled the JKU coils I had in, and went a different direction, but as Eddie always says, "Ride quality is subjective."

BaddestCross

Do you think that going to 35s on a setup like this would be an issue? Also, did you keep the stock-length shocks or did you go to a shock made for a 2"-3" lift? I've got Rancho 9000s on there now and I love them. If I need to get longer ones, this would be the month to do it with their deal going on.

Napalm

Do you think that going to 35s on a setup like this would be an issue? Also, did you keep the stock-length shocks or did you go to a shock made for a 2"-3" lift? I've got Rancho 9000s on there now and I love them. If I need to get longer ones, this would be the month to do it with their deal going on.

I had 35s on my set up and had no issues at all.

notnalc68

Plenty of room for 35's. I went with Rancho shocks that were longer than stock. Shocks for 2 to 3 inches should be fine. Find one of Rancho's threads on here, and send them a PM. They can help you with that. Your Rancho's may be fine. You may want to add bump stops while you're at it. I never got around to that, before I traded it, & I'm not a bump stop length expert.

christov11

BaddestCross

Just when I thought I had this... lol. I just placed my order for the 2" plush rides. I checked my shocks and I've already got the Ranchos for up to a 3" lift, so that'll save me a couple bucks. :thumb: Then I realized that there's a TerraFlex bump stop extension (the rubber nub) installed. Will I pull this off when I pull out the TF spacers in the front or will I still need it with the new springs?

Top Bottom