Replaced stock drive shaft with rough country one and.............

chris434

image.jpg

That thing from the front diff squeaks like hell now with the new yoke. Do I still need it? Looks like some kind of pinion cover.

chris434

Why did you get a Rough Country? Just asking

Seemed to get good reviews. Decent price. I dont know much about jeeps. For Land Rovers there are basically 4 or 5 different companies. Im totally lost with jeep gear. getting lockers next week. Jeep has 4:10 gears in it now. Any particular lockers I should stay away from?

Eezybreezy08

I'm from tn and I would love to support my state going with rough country, with that being said, they have a long way to go. I would be real careful about what I get from them. Don't get me wrong, they warranty damn near everything, and all you have to do is call them and tell them what you bought, that it broke and they will send another one with no questions asked. So that's the only good as of what I know from them now. So in other words you might want to look at Adams, JE reel, or maybe coast when it comes to drive shafts. Also I'm sure these guys know a few other companies they would recommend that make driveshafts.
When it comes to lockers, the first question everyone will ask, is what axle are you putting it in?

Draconianwinter

How are those drive shafts you mentioned compared to Tom Wood's drive shafts? My apologies to the op, not trying to hijack your post

Eezybreezy08

How are those drive shafts you mentioned compared to Tom Wood's drive shafts? My apologies to the op, not trying to hijack your post

Sorry I forgot tom woods, one of my buddies has a ton woods and he loves it. I've other people not like them. So you could throw that company in there with some of the others I mentioned. I just didn't think about tom woods at the time. Also make sure everyone understand this, I'm no drive shaft expert. Just trying to help with the few that I've heard of people liking

Coop

Caught the Bug
One of the reasons this site is like no other is the threads with great info, drive shafts being one of them! Maybe WJCO can direct you to one of these! For example there is one for the Tom Woods shafts which may not be the best choice due to the U-joints he chooses to use. Just say'n.

WJCO

Meme King
Truthfully, I have no experience with Tom woods drive shafts. It looks like that part goes to the old drive shaft. Did you replace your rzeppa shaft with another rzeppa? If so, why not go with a DC ujoint style? Can you post pics of the new drive shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I would NOT recommend a Woods shaft UNLESS you pay to upgrade the u-joints to either Neapco or Spicer. The "gold seal" u-joints he likes to use standard are made in China and I have seen them blow time and time again.

Draconianwinter

I would NOT recommend a Woods shaft UNLESS you pay to upgrade the u-joints to either Neapco or Spicer. The "gold seal" u-joints he likes to use standard are made in China and I have seen them blow time and time again.

Thank you very much for that info. Definitely won't be buying those when I do my lift hopefully some point this winter.

desertrunner

Seemed to get good reviews. Decent price. I dont know much about jeeps. For Land Rovers there are basically 4 or 5 different companies. Im totally lost with jeep gear. getting lockers next week. Jeep has 4:10 gears in it now. Any particular lockers I should stay away from?

I had a Coast 1310 in mine and it worked great no complaints.
Another few questions though to consider if you are upgrading shafts (feel free to correct me if I'm wront) the 1310 is weaker than the stock shaft? So might want to consider a 1350 don't know if the brand will make a difference on the 1350 vs 1310 but I liked my Coast

Also for your locker question. Is your jeep a DD? if it is not you may be able to go with something like a Detroit Auto locker. They are cheaper than something like an ARB air locker but if it is your DD you'll probably want a selectable locker that way you don't have to listen to and cringe every time you turn on the street with an auto locker

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Coast 1310 in mine and it worked great no complaints.
Another few questions though to consider if you are upgrading shafts (feel free to correct me if I'm wront) the 1310 is weaker than the stock shaft? So might want to consider a 1350 don't know if the brand will make a difference on the 1350 vs 1310 but I liked my Coast

The only u-joint on a factory front drive shaft is a 1330. A 1310 is weaker and I personally would recommend a 1350 because of it.

desertrunner

Thank you very much for that info. Definitely won't be buying those when I do my lift hopefully some point this winter.

I'm on my phone so I can't see any of your info but is your jeep a 2 door or 4 and how high of a lift are you going? On my 4 door I did a 3.5 and the only reason I got a new front shaft was because I tore the boot off the stock one after wheeling for a while on it and the stock shafts are I believe stronger than a 1310 so you might want to just try to keep them stock or find a stock replacement to go back in there if you don't like the rough country one

Gravedigger11

Rough country ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474124532.390306.jpg

RC driveshafts are subpar built. Not quality parts. I broke mine and still don't know how. I replaced with a Carolina driveline driveshaft

Eezybreezy08

I went with a 1310 cause that's all I could afford after a $2000 hip surgery for a dog. Plus I only wheel about 4 times a year so hopefully mine holds up. I went with Adams plus I will be on 35 for freaking forever before I can upgrade.

Gravedigger11

By the look of it, I think it's the output shaft yoke that may have broken. Of course, that would still be something they sourced out.

It was the socket yoke/centering yoke that broke. The output shaft yoke was fine. The double Cardon manufacture is unknown. The weight difference between the Carolina driveline and rough country are very noticeable.

deezus

Exactly. I learned this after getting a Rubicon Express DS. I ended up getting an Adams DS. I can highly recommend them as I believe they use what Eddie posted above.

Draconianwinter

I'm on my phone so I can't see any of your info but is your jeep a 2 door or 4 and how high of a lift are you going? On my 4 door I did a 3.5 and the only reason I got a new front shaft was because I tore the boot off the stock one after wheeling for a while on it and the stock shafts are I believe stronger than a 1310 so you might want to just try to keep them stock or find a stock replacement to go back in there if you don't like the rough country one

Right now is stock. Looking at a 3 inch lift though by spring. And is a door

Top Bottom