Tire options

Swaps

is there a write up somewhere of tires that offer good off road abilities but are still tame on the streets? Sure I want a hardcore aggressive tread pattern, but I'd also like them to last more then a season and not make me want to blow my brains out because of the road noise.

Also, I'm not a huge off road guy. I have a friend who does some overland stuff, not too hardcore, I might tag up with him next summer a couple times. But is there such a great reason to put a lift kit on just to get an extra 2-3 inches of tires? I believe 33s will fit at stock height, or so the internet has told me, and we all know the internet is never wrong. But is one more inch worth it? Or, is the added expense of raising the truck and putting additional stresses on stock steering and suspension components worth it for a little more clearance and the ability to put tires on that are 3 inches bigger?

Not trying to be an antagonist, just trying to find the pros and cons.

Last edited:

Swaps

crap. I just saw that there's a "tires and wheels" section.

sorry.

if a mod could delete this for me...

kthxbye. :(

christov11

33's fit great on a stock JK.

you may need to put a spacer on the spare tire.... maybe

hows the snow in minesota? if you get a decent amount you might wanna look into the K02's or Duratracs. personally have the duratracs theyre not loud they run great offroad. no complaints

Swaps

Ok, great. That offers a good place to start!

My current tires will last through the winter but I'm going to need to replace them in the spring, I'm sure.

Snow is pretty hit and miss down here. Some years it's a cake walk, and some years it's amazing that anybody actually lives in this climate. :)

christov11

My current tires will last through the winter but I'm going to need to replace them in the spring, I'm sure.

Snow is pretty hit and miss down here. Some years it's a cake walk, and some years it's amazing that anybody actually lives in this climate. :)

if only you were a liiiiitttle closer lol i wanna get rid of my stock tires...

Napalm

Sport or Rubicon? If you have a Sport, picking up a set of Rubicon wheel/tire take offs is a good way to become more off road capable but still keep decent on road manners.

Draconianwinter

Look in the four sale section on here you may find someone close by our even be able to pay for shipping and still get the wheels and tires for a good price over just buying tires. That would keep you from needing to do anything at all to your jeep. One thing I would probably do is see if anyone has a good set of rubi springs from a jkur and put those on your jeep. It may actually net you a slight lift that will work for your needs and again not have to worry about the higher costs of a budget boost or lift springs or even needing to worry about any pressure on your steering.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
is there a write up somewhere of tires that offer good off road abilities but are still tame on the streets? Sure I want a hardcore aggressive tread pattern, but I'd also like them to last more then a season and not make me want to blow my brains out because of the road noise.

Also, I'm not a huge off road guy. I have a friend who does some overland stuff, not too hardcore, I might tag up with him next summer a couple times. But is there such a great reason to put a lift kit on just to get an extra 2-3 inches of tires? I believe 33s will fit at stock height, or so the internet has told me, and we all know the internet is never wrong. But is one more inch worth it? Or, is the added expense of raising the truck and putting additional stresses on stock steering and suspension components worth it for a little more clearance and the ability to put tires on that are 3 inches bigger?

Not trying to be an antagonist, just trying to find the pros and cons.

I had Duratracs on my 2 door. 5 tire rotation, and at 30,000 miles, still had a lot of tread. Not overly noisy, and rode good. It was my DD. In Ouray, even on wet rocks, they really did well.

They were 33's. They rubbed just a little, until I put a spacer leveling kit (1.5 overall lift), 2" front, 2" rear.

Last edited:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I am interested in the Ridge Grapplers. They look cool. They may be a good comprimise for all around driving. New style all terrains.

OP, I would consider some good all terrains if you are not gonna be bashing them in the rocks. I have the older style BFG all terrains and they are a great tire, but the big rocks did some damage while spinning them to climb over stuff.

For the Ridge Grapplers: I am curious how heavy and how tough they are. They have some heavy and tough big brothers.

RUBEERCON

I had Toyo MT and they were getting loud so I went down 2 levels to their 35-12.50 -17 AT2's. I have had a set on my tundra and they are holding up well after 3 years. Jeep does not walk the road anymore and they are not as noisy. So happy I switched, and the tread is still very capable. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474337792.046491.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474337814.515474.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474337958.168454.jpg

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I had Toyo MT and they were getting loud so I went down 2 levels to their 35-12.50 -17 AT2's. I have had a set on my tundra and they are holding up well after 3 years. Jeep does not walk the road anymore and they are not as noisy. So happy I switched, and the tread is still very capable. H]

Those look good. I wonder how they would hold up to the rocks. I say a good AT fits the bill for most people.

I used to live in BA, until my uncle Sam said to move again.

RUBEERCON

Thank you for your service. BRoken Arrow, Ok has exploded it's a really neat town now. Main Street has all new bars, shops and restaurants. Where is home now?

I used to wheel my Tundra below Grand Lake dam with the AT2, never had an issue. I have beat on the Toyo MT sidewalks with the skinny pedal in the jeep at10psi with no flats yet. The tread looks terrible but sidewalks look new. I hope the AT2 has similar qualities.

Big Bad Wolf

Toyo MT's are one of the toughest I have seen or used. They are heavy but this translates into thick side walls as was mentioned. I have a set of 35' which never let me down which gave me confidence buying a 40" version.

For aggresive looks the Nito Mud Grappler.

Here are my Toyo's.

20160608_211749.jpg

Draconianwinter

Toyo MT's are one of the toughest I have seen or used. They are heavy but this translates into thick side walls as was mentioned. I have a set of 35' which never let me down which gave me confidence buying a 40" version.

For aggresive looks the Nito Mud Grappler.

Here are my Toyo's.

View attachment 223436

The mud grappler was one tie I was seriously looking at for my jeep when I do the lift, but they wear or to easily on the road. As it is my only vehicle it has to driven to anywhere I wish to go so I had to mark them off.

CarolinaJK

The mud grappler was one tie I was seriously looking at for my jeep when I do the lift, but they wear or to easily on the road. As it is my only vehicle it has to driven to anywhere I wish to go so I had to mark them off.

My 35" Mud Grapplers have 20k on them and have very little wear.

Top Bottom