Adjusting sway bar to fix JK lean.

Cptcoob

Hello everyone again,
A few weeks ago I got some good advice on how to fix the lean to the right that my JK has had since I had my lift installed. Which was to adjust the sway bar end links.
My question is, does anyone know how to do that? Since the links are not adjustable themselves? Do I have to buy and replace them with adjustable ones (like the ones from synergy $100)? Also, is there a rear sway bar I would have to adjust also?
Thank you in advance for the help!

PS. I noticed there are some Marines chatting on these threads. Semper Fi!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You either need to buy adjustable sway bar links or install a spacer on the one side of your sway bar frame mount.

Sullivan

I hear this a lot and I even have a lean on my jeep, but the sway bar doesn't seem to cause that. At least in my set up. I have antirock front and rear and it doesn't change with or without sway bar. Also, I wouldn't want the sway bar to pull down or push up to make that adjustment.

RUBEERCON

Do you adjust the rear only? I have a Rubicon with electric sway up front. My jeep has always leaned to the right after my lift was installed. I traded rear springs side to side with no change. If I unhook the rear sway temporarily will the jeep level out?

I will google this tip and see what I can find. I hope this is a solution.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Hello everyone again,
A few weeks ago I got some good advice on how to fix the lean to the right that my JK has had since I had my lift installed. Which was to adjust the sway bar end links.
My question is, does anyone know how to do that? Since the links are not adjustable themselves? Do I have to buy and replace them with adjustable ones (like the ones from synergy $100)? Also, is there a rear sway bar I would have to adjust also?
Thank you in advance for the help!

PS. I noticed there are some Marines chatting on these threads. Semper Fi!

You either need to buy adjustable sway bar links or install a spacer on the one side of your sway bar frame mount.

This is the solution. Personally I would go with the spacer on the high side if you don't want to change all 4 sway links. Measure your spring perch on both sides and the difference will be how much you need correct.

RUBEERCON

Ok I laser cut a stack of .090 SST sway bar frame shims. So do I install them on the higher side to let the sway work out the lean or do I put them on the low side to help lift that side? Looks simple but I'm overthinking how the sway bar works.

Beer for size reference only...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475803176.555114.jpg

Necro

Ok I laser cut a stack of .090 SST sway bar frame shims. So do I install them on the higher side to let the sway work out the lean or do I put them on the low side to help lift that side? Looks simple but I'm overthinking how the sway bar works.

Beer for size reference only...
View attachment 225836

Nice! I think they would go on the low side to help lift the body in relation to the axle.

RUBEERCON

I tried both sides and it did lift the high side higher. I have them on the right(low side) and the jeep leveled out after some driving. It was a 1/2 off, I was only able to put in 4 shims with stock length bolts = .400
I may grab longer bolts after I measure it out.

Necro

I tried both sides and it did lift the high side higher. I have them on the right(low side) and the jeep leveled out after some driving. It was a 1/2 off, I was only able to put in 4 shims with stock length bolts = .400
I may grab longer bolts after I measure it out.

I wonder what kind of handling issues you might experience by shimming your sway bar. While it might indeed level your suspension, it is also preloading the bar on one side which might cause weird cornering issues. I'm pretty sure the correct way to adjust a suspension lean is to adjust the springs. If you've installed enough shim stacks to need new bolts then I think you've got another issue with your suspension that has nothing to do with your sway bar. IMO Shimming the sway bar to correct body lean is in the same category as running a larger tire on one side of your Jeep than the other... Yes, the larger tire will correct the body lean, but it will also open an entirely different can of worms when it comes to handling.

Just my $.02 though.

RUBEERCON

I had the same concerns. I just got back from a 400 mile round trip. I ran 80-90 on the highway and I did plenty of fast cornering on the roads around Table Rock lake in Mo. In my opinion nothing changed but this also includes the lean. Lol

I'm going to pull the shims and possibly buy some 1/2 to 1" coil spacers for one side as others have done. Do they make a 1/2" spacer ???

Top Bottom