CB Selection

benatc1

Hooked
I'm struggling to decide what CB radio to get, I plan to install above my rear view mirror and while ive read a few of the threads I haven't gotten any closer. I am looking at a Cobra 29LX or the Uniden Bearcat 980, both are around the same price but availability for the cobra on amazon is a bit out. Anyone with experience with either of these I would greatly appreciate your input. I had a Cobra 75x in my last JK and didn't love it enough to want buy another. or if there are any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I love my Cobra 29lx. Lots of great features like memory scan, adjustable day/night modes, built-in SWR meter etc. I haven't had a lot of experience with other radios though.

Frydaddy

Woah, those are some fancy radios. You should look into Amateur Radio. Aside from its proliferation in the offroad community, the Ham bands are better quality audio (FM) and the conversations are nicer.

benatc1

Hooked
I love my Cobra 29lx. Lots of great features like memory scan, adjustable day/night modes, built-in SWR meter etc. I haven't had a lot of experience with other radios though.

There's some photos here of it mounted where you are talking about:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39448-Question-about-Rugged-Ridge-CB-mount/page2

post #16-17

I believe the Uniden is in there too somewhere.
I appreciate the feedback, it seems like a nice set up. thanks for the link too, thats the mount I'll probably get. curious where u mounted yours?

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
happen to have a 880 bearcat mounted up in the spot your thinking of myself , 20160910_110325.jpg 20160910_110335.jpg 20160910_110409.jpg did mount it on a bit of a angle so i can see the display a bit easier which will cause a bit of interference with the drivers side visor , just need to unhook it and swing out before lowering and putting back but when you consider i hardly use the visor its no big deal ,

JDalcour

IF you go with the Cobra the above mirror mount is about the only thing you can use without alot of modication from the last time i looked, its just so big compared to other CBs.
If you do mount it above the rear view mirror make sure its nice and centered before drilling a hole, otherwise your sun visor may not fold in correctly.

I initially installed it slighty to the left and had to undo it and re drill.

benatc1

Hooked
Woah, those are some fancy radios. You should look into Amateur Radio. Aside from its proliferation in the offroad community, the Ham bands are better quality audio (FM) and the conversations are nicer.
hey why not get a nice fancy one with my new Jeep right?..not sure I know anyone I roll with
using the Amateur (could be wrong)- but also doesn't mean there aren't many out there , what radio would you recommend if I went this direction? I don't know much about these types of radios

benatc1

Hooked
happen to have a 880 bearcat mounted up in the spot your thinking of myself , View attachment 225919 View attachment 225920 View attachment 225921 did mount it on a bit of a angle so i can see the display a bit easier which will cause a bit of interference with the drivers side visor , just need to unhook it and swing out before lowering and putting back but when you consider i hardly use the visor its no big deal ,
looks good, thanks for the tip!
Those are my posts, I mounted it in the same spot. :thumb:
Ha, sure are!! my bad...like good though
IF you go with the Cobra the above mirror mount is about the only thing you can use without alot of modication from the last time i looked, its just so big compared to other CBs.
If you do mount it above the rear view mirror make sure its nice and centered before drilling a hole, otherwise your sun visor may not fold in correctly.

I initially installed it slighty to the left and had to undo it and re drill.
good to know, I've read that was a big radio. thanks for the info!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

Umm, really? This took like 10 minutes to install and absolutely no major modifications:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475873759.522555.jpg

benatc1

Hooked
Last edited:

mo0s3

I have the Cobra 29lx and have zero complaints. Great CB for the $$ as well.
Make sure you get a antenna that is tunable and also have it at least 1 foot taller then your Jeep for best results!
Good luck bud

Mine is mounted above my mirror.
My brother mounted his above the mirror as well on his rock hard cage. I believe he used the KC mount.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Frydaddy

hey why not get a nice fancy one with my new Jeep right?..not sure I know anyone I roll with
using the Amateur (could be wrong)- but also doesn't mean there aren't many out there , what radio would you recommend if I went this direction? I don't know much about these types of radios

I like your motivation for getting quality. I've spent enough time bodging together junk with my old XJ, its refreshing to install quality stuff in my JK.

Amateur Radio is slightly more involved than Citizens Band, but opens a whole new world of wireless communication. You need a license, but the test is real easy. Just skim a booklet, and answer 20 multiple choice questions. There are also repeaters almost everywhere, over a dozen in the Reno valley alone, that take your signal and broadcast it out for people much further away to hear. There are usually Nets (meetings) run for all to hear, that can be anything from weather reports, traffic reports, stuff for sale, to even game shows that anyone can attend!

As for radios, the easiest way is to get a handheld, Baofeng is popular. I myself have a Kenwood TM-281A,that I've programmed all the repeaters in my area to scan through. If you cant hit the repeaters, or dont want to use it, there are a few National Calling Frequencies, (like CB channel 19) that are available for general use.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Toughest challenge sometimes is visualizing how all this will go together. I debated between size and features. In the end, have been happy I went with the Uniden full size/featured unit.

Uniden Bearcat (1 of 4).jpg
After installation, unit size never has really bothered me. Soon, I'll get around to installing a retracting holder for the microphone. Actually, especially on the first trip with it, the hardest thing was adjusting to the cable being there. I quickly forgot about it and, most of the time, I just have it draped over top of the unit more tightly than it is currently.

Uniden Bearcat (2 of 4).jpg
With this current mount, I took the top of the unit, fastened the 'top' to the CB mount, then reassembled the CB to it after cables were attached to the rear. The bulk of the time was spent routing cables actually.

Uniden Bearcat (3 of 4).jpg

The flex in the mount can get kind of springy on rough roads so, when the tops are on the tennis ball's there to dampen the behavior. Eventually I plan to install a front-to-back component of a sport cage and will have a more-solid mount at that time. For now, this arrangement works really well and I'm happy with it.

Uniden Bearcat (4 of 4).jpg

The only real negative to this install, and probably almost all the other larger unit installs that angle down, is that it does impede view of the rear view mirror. Depending on my seating position and mirror position, I might lose about 1/4 of the mirror vertically. Works out to about half of what I'd lose if the rear window wiper motor box went full-width for instance.

Whatever you choose, have fun. A CB was my #1, maybe #2, mod to the Jeep and perhaps the most functional still.

benatc1

Hooked
I like your motivation for getting quality. I've spent enough time bodging together junk with my old XJ, its refreshing to install quality stuff in my JK.

Amateur Radio is slightly more involved than Citizens Band, but opens a whole new world of wireless communication. You need a license, but the test is real easy. Just skim a booklet, and answer 20 multiple choice questions. There are also repeaters almost everywhere, over a dozen in the Reno valley alone, that take your signal and broadcast it out for people much further away to hear. There are usually Nets (meetings) run for all to hear, that can be anything from weather reports, traffic reports, stuff for sale, to even game shows that anyone can attend!

As for radios, the easiest way is to get a handheld, Baofeng is popular. I myself have a Kenwood TM-281A,that I've programmed all the repeaters in my area to scan through. If you cant hit the repeaters, or dont want to use it, there are a few National Calling Frequencies, (like CB channel 19) that are available for general use.
thank you for the detailed response!
Toughest challenge sometimes is visualizing how all this will go together. I debated between size and features. In the end, have been happy I went with the Uniden full size/featured unit.

View attachment 225930
After installation, unit size never has really bothered me. Soon, I'll get around to installing a retracting holder for the microphone. Actually, especially on the first trip with it, the hardest thing was adjusting to the cable being there. I quickly forgot about it and, most of the time, I just have it draped over top of the unit more tightly than it is currently.

View attachment 225931
With this current mount, I took the top of the unit, fastened the 'top' to the CB mount, then reassembled the CB to it after cables were attached to the rear. The bulk of the time was spent routing cables actually.

View attachment 225932

The flex in the mount can get kind of springy on rough roads so, when the tops are on the tennis ball's there to dampen the behavior. Eventually I plan to install a front-to-back component of a sport cage and will have a more-solid mount at that time. For now, this arrangement works really well and I'm happy with it.

View attachment 225933

The only real negative to this install, and probably almost all the other larger unit installs that angle down, is that it does impede view of the rear view mirror. Depending on my seating position and mirror position, I might lose about 1/4 of the mirror vertically. Works out to about half of what I'd lose if the rear window wiper motor box went full-width for instance.

Whatever you choose, have fun. A CB was my #1, maybe #2, mod to the Jeep and perhaps the most functional still.
I appreciate the tips and pics. I will also have a cage in the future to mount to. your install looks nice!
Yes sir!!

And last I checked amazon had them for like $90 or so. Best $100 I spent on a mod.
yea it's 99 right now but up to 2 months till shipped..
I have the bearcat and am really happy with it. I would recommend it.
awesome, seems like I can go wrong either way!!

Top Bottom