CB Selection

benatc1

Hooked
Cobra and Uniden will hold up the best with what it will go though on the trail
hey at least in at a good starting point!
I have the Cobra 29lx and have zero complaints. Great CB for the $$ as well.
Make sure you get a antenna that is tunable and also have it at least 1 foot taller then your Jeep for best results!
Good luck bud

Mine is mounted above my mirror.
My brother mounted his above the mirror as well on his rock hard cage. I believe he used the KC mount.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
thank you for the input. I have a 4 ft fire stick from my old jeep which will sit up nice. part of the reason I didn't want a 75x again was I couldn't hear people on runs when we got to spread out, while others could.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigjimbo

I didn't want a permanent fixture in my cab, so I went with the Midland 75-822 and a fire stick. When I need it, I plug the power in the lighter plug and attach the antenna which cleanly tucks behind the console when not in use.

It's not the most powerful CB out there, but its clean and has served its purpose. I also run a gear keeper Retractable CB mic holder which is also easy to attach/remove and is not permanent.

cb.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I didn't want a permanent fixture in my cab, so I went with the Midland 75-822 and a fire stick. When I need it, I plug the power in the lighter plug and attach the antenna which cleanly tucks behind the console when not in use.

It's not the most powerful CB out there, but its clean and has served its purpose. I also run a gear keeper Retractable CB mic holder which is also easy to attach/remove and is not permanent.

I did the same as suggested by granitecrystal, and Eddie runs one in one of his jeeps, works fine. We're getting one for wife's Jeep too. Simple and affordable.

0917162056.jpg

benatc1

Hooked

View attachment 225944

I did the same as suggested by granitecrystal, and Eddie runs one in one of his jeeps, works fine. We're getting one for wife's Jeep too. Simple and affordable.

View attachment 225946
thanks for the reply, how's the range compared to a cobra 75x or a full size unit?

Bigjimbo

thanks for the reply, how's the range compared to a cobra 75x or a full size unit?

I'm not sure either. Range is decent I think a mile or so on the highway with a 3' fire stick Never had issues on the trail. I'm also redneck tuned to what sounded clear using the weather channel as a baseline. SWR would probably increase the clarity and range, but it works fine as is...for me.

benatc1

Hooked
Can't comment myself on that too much because since I've had it, I've been really close to the group. But it works fine for that.

I'm not sure either. Range is decent I think a mile or so on the highway with a 3' fire stick Never had issues on the trail. I'm also redneck tuned to what sounded clear using the weather channel as a baseline. SWR would probably increase the clarity and range, but it works fine as is...for me.
only reason I asked is I had an "issue" when we were on the Rubicon, our group got fairly split up near the end and while I was near the front I couldn't recieve anything from the guys way back when other guys could with full size radios. I had the cobra 75x which( without researching) seems to be a similar design. I have the cobra 75x in my garage but if I'm going to buy another Im leaning towards a full size, as they seem "better"?? (honestly not even sure).. thank you for the input, good to have lots of options.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Cobra 29s are great radios, affordable, and lots of great features (especially the LX) I think you can generally pick them up locally at truck shops for under $120 if you didn't want to wait for Amazon. If range is a concern you can get a radio shop to "peak and tune" it, but seems like more often than not you just end up being heard far away but you can't hear the replies.

Bigjimbo

only reason I asked is I had an "issue" when we were on the Rubicon, our group got fairly split up near the end and while I was near the front I couldn't recieve anything from the guys way back when other guys could with full size radios. I had the cobra 75x which( without researching) seems to be a similar design. I have the cobra 75x in my garage but if I'm going to buy another Im leaning towards a full size, as they seem "better"?? (honestly not even sure).. thank you for the input, good to have lots of options.

Most, if not all cb's transmit at 4 watts (FCC regulation), what sets the larger ones (such as the Cobra 29s) apart is a few more bells and whistles which allow for RF gain and SWR calibration. You could go with the 148 which has SSB and you can -legally- triple your transmit power. Then go with a 4'-5' antenna. If you need more range than that you need to go HAM.

I have a 3' antenna because anything longer and I'm dragging the ceiling in the parking garages around here and because I don't want to be bothered with taking it off.

benatc1

Hooked
Most, if not all cb's transmit at 4 watts (FCC regulation), what sets the larger ones (such as the Cobra 29s) apart is a few more bells and whistles which allow for RF gain and SWR calibration. You could go with the 148 which has SSB and you can -legally- triple your transmit power. Then go with a 4'-5' antenna. If you need more range than that you need to go HAM.

I have a 3' antenna because anything longer and I'm dragging the ceiling in the parking garages around here and because I don't want to be bothered with taking it off.
thanks for the info, I really don't know a ton about this stuff so I appreciate the information.

ronmcc4

I got the Cobra 75WXST. The radio IS the mic. The small size and easy removability made this just what I wanted for my JK. Performance is adequate for trail use. I have a Firestick 3 foot antenna.

Andy5160

Hooked

i HAVE 29 lx runs great it is not just about the radio itself it is about the right coax length, antenna and SWR calibration.
Good luck

Racerx

Storm trooper iAm glad you like your bearcat 880 I've had a new one for one year now and I've tried mounting my antenna in three different places with different mounts also different coax cables and antennas and can still not get it to pass a antenna test or built in swr test. It will barely pic up the weather it may just be a bad one tho.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Storm trooper iAm glad you like your bearcat 880 I've had a new one for one year now and I've tried mounting my antenna in three different places with different mounts also different coax cables and antennas and can still not get it to pass a antenna test or built in swr test. It will barely pic up the weather it may just be a bad one tho.

Make sure you have clean power (direct to battery is best) use a good quality 18' coax. Don't tightly coil any extra cable. Make sure antenna mount has a good ground to the body (tire carriers can be hit or miss as to quality of ground.) and that the antenna itself is isolated from the ground. Best if you can get at least 1/2 of the antenna above the roofline.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Make sure you have clean power (direct to battery is best) use a good quality 18' coax. Don't tightly coil any extra cable. Make sure antenna mount has a good ground to the body (tire carriers can be hit or miss as to quality of ground.) and that the antenna itself is isolated from the ground. Best if you can get at least 1/2 of the antenna above the roofline.

Best advice here folks. He helped install my CB antenna and it works amazing!!

JDalcour

Just thought id add that my Cobra 29LX has been rained on several times and still works.....wouldnt advise it.....but im suprised how its held up getting caught in rain...

Ive let it dry out and it turns right on, im not saying its waterproof but its held up nice.

benatc1

Hooked
Cobra 29s are great radios, affordable, and lots of great features (especially the LX) I think you can generally pick them up locally at truck shops for under $120 if you didn't want to wait for Amazon. If range is a concern you can get a radio shop to "peak and tune" it, but seems like more often than not you just end up being heard far away but you can't hear the replies.

good to know, ill shop around a bit too. seems like the 29s are a great option- baby show up yet??

i HAVE 29 lx runs great it is not just about the radio itself it is about the right coax length, antenna and SWR calibration.
Good luck

good point, ill be sure to include all of the proper stuff to optimize

sucks your having trouble, hopefully its just a wiring issue not the radio.

great advice!

Best advice here folks. He helped install my CB antenna and it works amazing!!

Neil, quit pumping up your buddies!! ;) haha

Just thought id add that my Cobra 29LX has been rained on several times and still works.....wouldnt advise it.....but im suprised how its held up getting caught in rain...

Ive let it dry out and it turns right on, im not saying its waterproof but its held up nice.

This is good to know- im sure were all bound to get caught in a rain storm with our tops off at one point or another!!

Top Bottom