Let's talk Roll Overs (and their prevention)

Chiromancer

So, I was out in my stock JKUR on some mostly tame trails this past weekend and had quite the fright as I slid sideways down an short embankment.

Never rolled or even payed down on the side, but it sure felt like it was close! Well, this got me thinking. I'm new to owning a jeep and other than some 3-wheeling as a kid in flat SW Florida, had little experience in 4x4 territory.

I started looking online and on YouTube, and there isn't much on the topic of roll over prevention. Obviously good lines and responsible driving will help, but what exactly is the best techniques to use while driving.

Specifically, I've seen conflicting reports on "speed up" vs "slow down" but in the videos, there is usually a high amount of wheel spin and them the vehicle catches a bite and the driver gets a new perspective to look at the world thrust upon him. I hope to never roll, but it is a hazard in this realm and there isn't a lot of talk I've seen on it. So, I'm hoping we can start a discussion and some people can share some wisdom.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, you need to understand that it ALWAYS feels worse inside your Jeep than it often is really bad. Having a spotter is the single best thing you can have to prevent a tip or roll as they will be able to help you know when you are in fact going too far.

Having said that, rule number one is to keep your hands and feet inside. This is near impossible to do as your instincts will tell you otherwise but, it needs to be said just the same.

Rule number 2, turn toward the fall. Just like sliding on ice, turning into the side you are starting to drop in will help prevent it, buy you a bit more time and/or give you more options.

If you're creeping into an off camber obstacle, stoping will most likely not do you any harm. However, if you're moving through it fast, stopping can sometimes be the trigger to cause you to go over. Experience will help you to know what to do and again, a spotter will help even more.

nyglt56

One that saved my ass; wouldn't recommend it personally (really scary) but it worked.

High hill front wheels popped up and it started backwards. Jammed it into reverse and forced the front wheels back down.

Also forced me down the hill really fast.

But rolling < flying down a hill in reverse.

Just avoid being in that situation all together, staying low and wide helps also.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One that saved my ass; wouldn't recommend it personally (really scary) but it worked.

High hill front wheels popped up and it started backwards. Jammed it into reverse and forced the front wheels back down.

Also forced me down the hill really fast.

But rolling < flying down a hill in reverse.

Just avoid being in that situation all together, staying low and wide helps also.

Actually, taking it out of gear or popping it into netural is the better way to go in a situation like this. That alone will free you of your situation and get back down more safely.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I agree with WOL, especially as it pertains to negotiating obstacles at a slower rate of speed or at a crawl.

When you are talking higher speed desert or fire road travel (both of which can be very common and fun in Nevada), there are completely different issues to think about. I may be stating the obvious here, but when driving fast you have to pay attention to the road far in front of you, have very good reflexes, and know what has the ability to pitch you sideways and/or drastically slow your momentum.

Many roads in what seems like the open Nevada desert have the following two characteristics: (1) knee high sagebrush lining the edges of the road and/or (2) small 6-12" dirt berms on the side of the road. The second can flip you on its own if you catch a front tire at a bad angle and can certainly do so if you pitch sideways into it. The first (sagebrush) often hides from view rocks of sufficient size to do the same thing as (2).

I've been in a rollover (I was a passenger) caused by (2) and it wasn't a lot of fun.

Last edited:

nyglt56

I agree with WOL, especially as it pertains to negotiating obstacles at a slower rate of speed or at a crawl.

When you are talking higher speed desert or fire road travel (both of which can be very common and fun in Nevada), there are completely different issues to think about. I may be stating the obvious here, but when driving fast you have to pay attention to the road far in front of you, have very good reflexes, and know what has the ability to pitch you sideways and/or drastically slow your momentum.

Many roads in what seems like the open Nevada desert have the following two characteristics: (1) knee high sagebrush lining the edges of the road and/or (2) small 6-12" dirt berms on the side of the road. The second can flip you on its own if you catch a front tire at a bad angle and can certainly do so if you pitch sideways into it. The first (sagebrush) often hides from view rocks of sufficient size to do the same thing as (2).

I've been in a rollover (I was a passenger) caused by (2) and it wasn't a lot of fun.

Yeah It was a fast sand hill climb. And i was tilting backwards with no power it was a reaction lol. Like I said. I don't recommend it at all.

TrailBear

I have found if you take the time to walk ahead and chose your line before driving it can save your bacon, that and having a spotter, I hate not having one, I tend to rub more trees:)

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom