Is this bolt torqued?

ssh6314

So its 2:30 am, and after reading and listening to various threads and youtube videos I decided to lose the muffler and see if I like the sound of it.

Except this bolt, despite gracious amounts of WD-40, will not move....at all, my 5/8 wrench skiped over it, and I broke a crescent wrench on it before calling it quits.

DSC00714.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's not torqued. As mentioned, heat or something more penetrating like PB Blaster will do better to loosen it up. Also, use a box wrench with a small pipe over it for leverage.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
It's not torqued. As mentioned, heat or something more penetrating like PB Blaster will do better to loosen it up. Also, use a box wrench with a small pipe over it for leverage.

Yeah a cheater bar is always good for giving stubborn nuts and bolts a little persuasion! :thumb:

ssh6314

I don't want to cut it. Because I I want to be able to put the muffler back on if it doesn't sound good to me without it etc. I just need to find a cheater bar.

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't want to cut it. Because I I want to be able to put the muffler back on if it doesn't sound good to me without it etc. I just need to find a cheater bar.

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can use anything as a cheater bar. Anything that fits over the end of the wrench will help for leverage.

Hellfire

Keep soaking it with penetrator oil for overnight. Use heat from a torch & heat up the nut. Have some ice shaving or dry ice and put it on the bolt for 5 secs.Then try turning the nut with a wrench or deep wall socket. A pipe extension may be needed for extra leverage.

If you have a brass/steel wire bush you may want to brush the threads before you try this.

Last edited:

TLAW719

PB Blaster works great i would try that and like more have said use leverage. if you cant get a socket and breaker bar on it or a big enough pipe, use two open end box end combo wrenches. put the box end on the nut and use the box end of a slightly bigger wrench to slip on the open end.

Jersey_Devil

I would buy a cheap muffler clamp from a local parts store, and then cut that one off.

If u have no means of heating it up, then just cut it off and get a muffler clamp from auto parts store.... That's all that thing is anyway.... Just get the stuff before u cut incase u don't like it.

**DISCLAIMER** If u cut it, u will more than likely need an adapter pipe too (like 2 bucks)

Top Bottom